It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant "nightmare bee" that was once thought to be extinct is discovered alive

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Looks like another creature once thought extinct has been found in an out of the way place in Indonesia. IMO there are so many unexplored (by accredited scientist) areas all over the world that this super bug will not be the last. The Bee was first documented in 1958 but was last seen in 1981 and was thought to be extinct. It is about the length of your thumb or four times larger than a European honeybee.. No word on its' sting and I would not volunteer to have one sting me not even for science..

"I simply couldn't believe it," he wrote. "We had discovered Wallace's Giant Bee." After doing a victory dance, Bolt photographed and filmed the bee. "My goal was to be the first person to make a photo of a living Wallace's Giant Bee and I had achieved that goal."

The newly rediscovered Wallace's Giant Bee, also called "Raja ofu," or king of bees, has gained widespread media attention. Live Science called it a "nightmare bee." Little is known about the insect, which has a dark body about 1.5 inches in length — four times bigger than European honeybees.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   
It's only 3.5 cm I don't see where they get 4 x that of a honeybee? Honeybee's here in north America are about 1.5 cm. Also IDK about you, but my thumb is 6.5 to 7cm.
Also that comparison photo they use is way out of scale. That looks like 7-8 X the size of a honeybee.

This story did not jive with me on fakebook and it don't jive with me here either.

Here is a link to the size of a honeybee.
www.pinterest.com...
edit on 2 22 2019 by Shockerking because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Thanks but no thanks, nasty looking lil critters. Looks like they could ouchy a lil bit.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

IMO there are so many unexplored (by accredited scientist) areas all over the world that this super bug will not be the last.

There was a guest on Rogan recently who's planning a trip to the Peruvian highlands. Apparently it's similar to parts of Papua New Guinea in terms of being inaccessible without a helicopter. He was saying native tribes from the area have myths of giant sloths and he speculated unknown species of wildlife could be behind the imposing cliffs.

Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic to see this giant bee is still alive. It's just much more mouth-watering to imagine what mammals might be awaiting discovery in some uncharted, isolated lost world in the rain forests.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 01:57 AM
link   
The radio reported this just recently, but there is an upside to this (monstrous insect!):

No one was stung yet.

It is a bee. A very large bee. Do what you would do with a bee, and it won't get angry. I hope.
Are there natural enemies to this? How vicious are those?

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

I hope they let it go again. Some of those butterfly collecting guys would stick a pin in something this rare.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: ManFromEurope

I hope they let it go again. Some of those butterfly collecting guys would stick a pin in something this rare.

More like a knitting needle considering it’s size!

Lags

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Sees picture of giant bee and runs away.

Good Lord, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that thing!

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:39 AM
link   
three points and schools of thought on this.

1. . on a purely intellectual and curiosity it is an interesting find.

2. I thought according to the man made global warming radical environmentalist crowd us humans were wiping out all species on the planet. But yet here they are along with more unknown species found every day.

3. I sure as hell hope some scientist doesnt cross breed this with a regular honey bee or import it out of the region. Because remember when they tried something like this and we got that little thing known as "killer bees".

there I think I got enough fodder to make think or annoy the greatest possible people.

Scrounger

PS in no way do I ever want to see this thing in person

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Sees picture of giant bee and runs away.

Good Lord, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that thing!

Too late... look behind you...

😈🤣

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Porkchop freaking sandwiches!

That's not a bee, it's an Apache gunship!

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

equipped with STINGER missiles

Scrounger

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I regret coming into this thread.......

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Well be thankful it's a 1 shot once weapon unlike some hornets & wasps of a similar size. It has eluded the bug collectors so far so leave it be to do its business I say.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shockerking
It's only 3.5 cm I don't see where they get 4 x that of a honeybee? Honeybee's here in north America are about 1.5 cm. Also IDK about you, but my thumb is 6.5 to 7cm.
Also that comparison photo they use is way out of scale. That looks like 7-8 X the size of a honeybee.

This story did not jive with me on fakebook and it don't jive with me here either.

www.pinterest.com...

They are real. I have heard of them before. The MSM are running this story too.

Wow, imagine a buzzy bee like that trapped in your apartment! It would trash the place!

I am glad they found one. Now they will do lots of experiemnts on it and keep it locked up. They thought they were extinct, didn't they. They are so rare. Some of the prehistoric insects and spiders are horrific, beyond any critter Hollywood could have imagined.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shockerking

www.pinterest.com...

The author(s) probably just buggered up some cm/inch conversions or don't know 1.5 inches from Adam and forgot an inch. If you just go by the 4x (assuming length) of the honeybee at 1.5cm, you would have 6cm or closer to 2.5 inches which is what it "looks" like and would actually make it noteworthy and the size of some people's thumbs.
edit on 22-2-2019 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

Edit: upon further review, the pic of it on the nest next to the guys camera and fingers shows that people are just muddling a series of comparisons that were probably misunderstood or badly quoted. That pic is showing something about 3.5-4.5 cm from my perspective.
edit on 22-2-2019 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum

Well be thankful it's a 1 shot once weapon unlike some hornets & wasps of a similar size.

Very true.

Here in the Channel Islands, and increasingly across the South West of the UK (having earlier spread across parts of Europe since arriving in a shipment of pottery from China), we are now having to deal with an invasion of Asian Hornets.

First Asian Hornet Sting in British Isles Amid Fears Insect Could Reach the Mainland [Spoiler Alert - It Already Has]

I should have made a thread on it to be fair, it's a whole lot of nope for folk in my part of the world.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I am glad they found one. Now they will do lots of experiemnts on it and keep it locked up. They thought they were extinct, didn't they. They are so rare.

hmmm where have I seen this quote and idea before.

About every horror and sci fi movie.
along with such places as one example where they created the "killer bee".

given how well that worked out I think PANIC is appropriate

scrounger
edit on 22-2-2019 by scrounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I was expecting something bigger.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join