It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschoolers Outraged at Iowa Bill That Treats Them All Like Criminals Mand HomeInspections

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: generik

where is the concern for them?

At CPS office.

edit on 22-2-2019 by AProudLefty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AProudLefty

At CPS office.

Apparently not because they are falling through the system. Kids who get abused get sent to public schools all the time and no one saves them, but we have to suddenly inspect all homeschoolers because they are maybe getting abused?

So CPS seems to only really care about kids whose parents homeschool them? As for the ones in school, eff 'em. They're in the system, and look how great it is. So great that once they've got a toe in, we stop caring and they go on getting abused.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I have no idea about that situation but if that is the case then yes I agree with you that they needs to be improved.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: scrounger

Of course I brought a religious point of view into it because she was being taught a Christian curriculum from a private school system. You can spin this around all you want, but I just made a personal statement about my experience with someone who was home schooled, and her case probably isn't the only one.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I haven't even shown any sort of distrust or opposition to people being homeschooled. I could care less, I was just pointing out a scenario that happens a lot and is true. Sorry the truth has triggered so many people.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I have no idea about that situation but if that is the case then yes I agree with you that they needs to be improved.

All right then, fix what's broken before you take on more to chew up and spit out.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

At CPS office.

Apparently not because they are falling through the system. Kids who get abused get sent to public schools all the time and no one saves them, but we have to suddenly inspect all homeschoolers because they are maybe getting abused?

So CPS seems to only really care about kids whose parents homeschool them? As for the ones in school, eff 'em. They're in the system, and look how great it is. So great that once they've got a toe in, we stop caring and they go on getting abused.

I’m in California and if you work with kids you have to be a certified Mandated Reporter.

Mandated reporter lists:
childcare workers, police officers, nurses, doctors, and, of course, teacher

Mandated Reporter:

... what exactly, does that mean? While the specific requirements may vary from state to state...... in general, if you have any reason to suspect that a child has been a victim of abuse or neglect, you must report your suspicions to the proper authorities.

And, um, who are the proper authorities?

When you suspect abuse or neglect, you should contact either your local child protective services office (which is probably a division of your state's Department of Health and Human Services) or a police agency.

Mandated Reporters in CA. Take a four hour online training course that is as depressing as it is thorough. They take you through the history of child abuse, legal issues and discussion of various abuse and neglect scenarios.

With teachers on this list, if they just “suspect”abuse or neglect they need to report it. It was made very clear in the training that you don’t have to have proof of abuse or neglect to report. Plus as a Reporter they have immunity from criminal or civil liabilities. So no reason to worry if your wrong.
Also made clear is if you suspect abuse or neglect and don’t report, you then could be liable.

A mandated reporter does not have to go through a supervisor, he or she must report directly to the CPS

My concern in light of this discussion are; Are teachers really reporting what they suspect or are they just looking the other way.

And could these mandated reporters who show up at homeschooling homes be compelled by their biases to report more cases of neglect or abuse if they see anything that conflicts with the accepted public education model.

Just as strongfp in this thread looked down on the kid reading from a Christian history book. A mandated reporting social worker could see that as emotional abuse and educational neglect and report the parents. I’m pretty sure that claim would go unsubstantiated now, but I worry about the future as the public education feels more and more the need to pump out its chest as the king and authority on children’s education.

By the way, we homeschooled our kids up until last year, when it became financially necessary for my wife to get a job. It’s been a tough transition for our kids. We are trying to figure out how to get back to a place financially where we can go back to homeschooling.

Ketsuko, I’m glad to see your still in here making things make sense. It been a while for me in these parts.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

I'm not sure what conclusion you can draw from a teacher's comment that "we have kids here for whom home is not a happy place." If home isn't happy, what could be causing that? I'm sure someone will say they're poor kids, but I grew up pretty poor and I was still happy at home with my parents.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I worked with a person who taught anatomy in college.

One of his exercises was to show the class human skeletons, male and female and have each person in the class count the number of ribs. Quite a few of the Christians who had been home schooled wouldn't believe that the woman's skeleton had the same number of ribs as the mans skeleton.

Apparently the christian text book teach that one of Adams ribs was used to create Eve and ever since men have fewer ribs then women

My opinion is that text books with incorrect information should not be allowed to be used in schools or home schooling

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Wildbob77
Actually, what's being taught these days is that Eve does have an extra bone. Err... And more power to her. Just don't call it natural biology. But I'm just a wierd homeschooler who has no problem dancing with a tranny.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   

At CPS office.

and CPS for some reason doesn't help kids that are not in a public school? sorry, but CPS deals with any and every kid/parent the same, in school or not.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Right, being poor is not an excuse for abuse. The stressors of being poor can contribute to improving the potential of abuse or neglect, but should not excuse it. At the same time it’s not right for every poor family to be targeted as abusers. The same goes for homeschool families they should not be targeted either. . The dangers of profiling allow some to act and some to assume. All that I ask is that the process is objective and consider more than just factors that the government make up to justify their actions or in-action.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77

One of his exercises was to show the class human skeletons, male and female and have each person in the class count the number of ribs. Quite a few of the Christians who had been home schooled wouldn't believe that the woman's skeleton had the same number of ribs as the mans skeleton.

Apparently the christian text book teach that one of Adams ribs was used to create Eve and ever since men have fewer ribs then women

My opinion is that text books with incorrect information should not be allowed to be used in schools or home schooling

Ha ha, that’s a funny antidote that I’m sure gets passed around in the academic world. Doubt that’s how it actually went down.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Witness2008

Great idea. I learned to read music before I learned to read words. Things like that certainly help make new connections in children's brains. And in adult brains, come to that. As to your quote...yeah. Public school is particularly bad for gifted kids. Being forced to slog along at the pace of the lowest common denominator is absolutely crushing to the spirit and the intellect.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77

I can tell you from college anatomy class and from massage school that this belief is far from limited to those who were homeschooled, it's a belief that a shocking amount of Christians have. On the other hand, the level of ignorance people have about their own anatomy, period, is astonishing so that particular belief really isn't too surprising in the great scheme of things.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: riiver

It was the intention of Rockefeller that all children slog along. One of his famous quotes...."I want a nation of workers, not thinkers." - John D. Rockefeller

An intelligent population is much harder to govern.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Witness2008

An intelligent population is much harder to govern.

Absolutely. I've seen the degradation of education with my own eyes; when my kids, all now adults, were in high school, the homework they were bringing home was in line with what I was doing in 6th grade. It was shocking. I still have a couple of my high school textbooks (algebra and english), and they're far more advanced than the texts I was required to use in college courses 2 years ago.

For anyone who wants a real eye-opener, take a look at upper elementary or middle school textbooks from the late 19th or very early 20th century. You'll find that what they contain is comparable to or even more difficult than today's high school courses. It's mind-boggling how lax we've become on education.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   

At least for gifted kids, there are programs that offer some hope of remedy in decent school systems. Ours is either 2E with learning disabilities that mask giftedness and he's not and never has been a super genius. He's at most in the 130 range if that. Or ours is in the 120s and super bright but not actually gifted enough for the program.

Either way, he picks up what he's supposed to learn very quickly and spends most of his day languishing with little outlet when he could still be learning because most of the rest of his class is still picking up what he already knows.

That's not a pleasant place to be for kids either, and tracking isn't really allowed these days. It might make some kids feel bad.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

It's not hard to be super smart at anatomy. It's not a subject that gets taught in high school.

When I was in high school, I took a single semester course at my high school in anatomy and physiology just because we got to dissect a fetal pig and some other really cool bits of anatomy from various animals. The teacher chose a college level text for us to learn from, and I actually had to study to pull an A or B grade in that class, but I learned a lot.

In spring, the gifted coordinator asked if I wanted to go to the regional Science Olympiad as the team alternate, and I picked up one or two other competitions to round out my day. One of them was anatomy with a guy who had also taken that single semester class for the same reasons I had. We were both going to the competition to spend a day out of class roaming a college campus, playing video games and bowling in the student union, and playing cards with the other kids who were also there.

We ended up winning the regional in anatomy and hitting state. It was joke.

The joke got even better when we ended up winning state in anatomy over all the Indian and Asian kids who you just knew were there aiming to be our future doctors while we were just there wasting a day and having fun.
edit on 23-2-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   

The next generation should always be smarter than the last. Hasn't been that way for a long time. When our phones are smarter than we are, I'd say that we are in a bit of trouble.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join