It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschoolers Outraged at Iowa Bill That Treats Them All Like Criminals Mand HomeInspections

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

The board of directors of a school district shall conduct quarterly home visits to check on the health and safety of children located within the district who are receiving independent private instruction or private instruction," The bill also says these home visits "shall take place in the child's residence with the consent of the parent, guardian, or legal custodian and an interview or observation of the child may be conducted.
If parents do not give consent, then "the juvenile court or district court upon a showing of probable cause may authorize the person making the home visit to enter the home and interview or observe the child."

Homeschoolers Outraged at 'Orwellian' Iowa Bill That 'Treats Them All Like Criminals' - Mandatory Home Inspections

MANDATORY HOME INSPECTIONS just like Oregon new parents MANDATORY HOME VISITS- 1984 anyone ?

WOW what reason will the STATE come up with next to be in your living room looking and inspecting & interviewing you,your home and family just to make sure your "Safe" & "Secure" ( Knight & Day ref there!)

When public Schools ARE Pushing an agenda plain as day all over the country when does it stop really ?

When it takes a lot of effort to get to the start of homeschooling- Care must be given for it to be a well rounded experience for the Children involved.
edit on 21-2-2019 by TheJesuit because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

For some of us, it's actually 1895 all over again.

Once on the reservation, the U.S. government spent years attempting to eradicate the Hopi culture and religion. Children were made to go to school, men and boys were forced to cut their hair, and efforts to convert the Hopi to Christianity intensified. Ultimately, this resulted in the incarceration of Chief Lomahongyoma and eighteen other Hopi Indians being placed in Alcatraz for their resistance to the “forced culture.” From January 3rd to August 7, 1895, the group was imprisoned for their resistance to farm on individual plots away from the mesas and for refusing to send their children to government boarding schools.

The more you think it is changing, the more it's just the same...

Welcome soon to government healthcare and a Rez for you as well.

Pro Tip... don't get sick after June.

There's no more money till October.

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The establishment is afraid home schooled children won’t receive their obligatory indoctrination if they don’t attend the state institutions. It is disgusting that you have to let one of these government thugs into your home simply because you choose to educate your child free from liberal brainwashing.
edit on 2019/2/21 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Kind of the point I was trying to make... the Hopi pushed back because the government was trying to "re-educate."

Now I guess conservatives are the new enemy that must be assimilated at any cost...

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The "Establishment of 1913" is getting nervous 😎

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Or be indoctrinated into an ultra-conservative mindset towards life without peer interaction, and manipulation of curriculum. I worked with someone who was home schooled once. She brought her homework to work and I got a chance to look through her 'history' text book. It was some BS Christian history 'variation' yes, it said variation on it, from 30BC - Present, in a whole whopping like 450pages.

Apparently according to this history book Alexander the greats conquest was predicted in the bible ... hmmmm.

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

The way to screen for that? They take the same college entrance exams everyone else does. If they can't pass them, they don't get into college, and if they don't know the basic skills for a GED, they don't get that either.

Beyond that, what business is it of yours how they acquire those skills? All you should care about is that they can make themselves productive members of society.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There's more than one subject than history ...

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

There's more than one subject than history ...

Like grammar and composition for example?

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   

yea sure.

my point stands, people can get into post secondary and still be brain washed through over subjects that have an impact on their future lives.

link   

Or be indoctrinated into an ultra-conservative mindset towards life without peer interaction, and manipulation of curriculum. I worked with someone who was home schooled once. She brought her homework to work and I got a chance to look through her 'history' text book. It was some BS Christian history 'variation' yes, it said variation on it, from 30BC - Present, in a whole whopping like 450pages.

Apparently according to this history book Alexander the greats conquest was predicted in the bible ... hmmmm.

With homeschooling it may be a bit of a crapshoot, depending on the parents.

As opposed to Department of Education public schools, which is just crap.

You are upset about a kid that was taught a different version of history.

ALL public school children right now are taught a different version of history... the liberal one. Whitewashed completely.

Then when you start looking at literacy rates of public school "survivors" and their new viewpoint on the world you realize that it's just an indoctrination camp for the left.

I get why you want indoctrination camps as opposed to parents teaching their kids critical thinking skills... it doesn't help your cause at all.

I'd rather take the chance at home schooled kids than the certain failure of public school children.

link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Sad isn't it. What the government did to the eastern Cherokee with the confiscation of their lands and Trail of Tears forced migration was appalling. If native Americans initiated a coordinated uprising now, I'd have to give moral support. Eventually all governments overstep their authorities and become oppressive rule.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I home schooled, and now my grandchildren are being home schooled. I can attest to the benefits.

The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests. (The public school average is the 50th percentile; scores range from 1 to 99.) A 2015 study found Black homeschool students to be scoring 23 to 42 percentile points above Black public school students (Ray, 2015). Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income. Whether homeschool parents were ever certified teachers is not related to their children’s academic achievement. Degree of state control and regulation of homeschooling is not related to academic achievement. Home-educated students typically score above average on the SAT and ACT tests that colleges consider for admissions. Homeschool students are increasingly being actively recruited by colleges.

www.nheri.org...

I think that there are better ways of the state showing interest in home schooled children. Maybe an appointment once a year to satisfy the state on progress. Bureaucrats should be more respectful of the people that pay their salaries.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

She brought her homework to work and I got a chance to look through her 'history' text book. It was some BS Christian history 'variation' yes, it said variation on it

Things like this is probably why some are upset with the bill, other than the possibility of the environments being unsuitable for the students.

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   

We home school our youngest so he'll be a leader, not a mindless follower.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I don't agree with this at all I hope they vote it down.

upon a showing of probable cause

I wonder what constitutes probable cause?

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Not saying that's right, but out of curiosity how were they at their job?

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit

This is a good thing. Ive been in a few homes where the "parent/foster/teacher" was taking home school care of their 5 nieces and nephews...for the monthly income/yearly(?) they receive....

There are in fact many, many great home schoolers raising great and smart kids into adults. And since thats so? Periodic home inspections shouldnt matter to them, but be encouraged.

*ETA: Something messed this format up. Sorry!
edit on 21-2-2019 by mysterioustranger because: !!!

edit on Thu Feb 21 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix BB CODE

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Have there been incidents? Surely we have data on homeschooling?

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   

yea sure.

my point stands, people can get into post secondary and still be brain washed through over subjects that have an impact on their future lives.

Yes, I know. We see all kinds of evidence for it here from all sides of the political spectrum don't we?

Again, the purpose of education is to make sure a kid can function in the world as a productive citizen, so long as that happens, it doesn't matter what else they're learning or how. So, yeah, it might mean some are getting the Christian equivalent of Zinn's People's History which, strangely, is approved as a textbook.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join