It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Large US Military Bases Have A Nuclear Reactor!Only for the Hardcore!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
He posted a picture of it in another thread.

Ft Belvior was a trainign base for engineers, and generator repairers. It was also the main trainign base for power plant operators and repait personel. Thus, the reason there is a big nuke plant there. Last time I checked, they still train power plant technicians there from around the world. However, the thing has been dead for a while, as far as being active.

But you are incorrect in your assumption that all major US military bases have nuclear power plants. Ft Belvior has its plant because they teach people how to operate and repair major power generation facilities.

I have been on several US bases at home and overseas, several major ones, and I am quite unaware of any nuclear facilities. The cloest thing I knew of was a big nuclear [power plant that was right next to the Hanau Army community in Germany. However, this nuke plant was owned and operated by the germans, and no longer ran on nuke power, but was converted to coal use instead.

But Belvior's nuke plant is no real big secret, even us trainees who were stationed there knew about it, and from what they told us, it was inoperative and was used mainly for teaching and training.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Thank you very much Skadi! This is exactly the kind of insight I was hoping to find on this site. I was really doubtful about finding anybody on the site that had been there. They have a hell of an Officers Club too eh? Ovelooking the potomac and stocked with alchohol. The plant may be no big secret to you but you are making me even more curious about it. Like I said in another post and by your comments the plant still trains engineers and technicians that go out all over the country. Most of these people were Army right? This place has been there for 50 years now training technicians the whole time. Where did all these Army technicians trained on an Army nuclear facilty ie a large nuclear power station go to?

Text

What happened to the reactor itself? They didnt dump it in the Potomac did they? What about the spent bomb grade fuel? What did they do with it? Where did they dump the very radioactive waste? This may be a completely different facility from what I saw but I still dont think so. The aerial shot shows the outside walls wth pretty good detail. I remember them exactly that way with how the windows were placed and especially the plants incredibly compact size is what grabbed me first. The photo was taken from when the plant was still active. The only thing thats different is I dont see the smokestack that I saw that day.

Text

As youd agree Belvoir is pretty big and could plausibly have another plant somewhere else especially considering the super compact design. Its a possibility but I still say that was it. Even the land surrounding it looks the same. One thing I noticed though is isnt it kind of odd having a dirt road leading to something like that? Its an amazing feat of engineering. The nature of the surrounding land is very very harsh and it doesnt look like there was much room at all for the kind of large construction equipment needed to build such a thing. These guys are so good it wouldnt surpise me if they just brought everything in on troop transports and did it with much smaller equipment that they may have invented just for that purpose.

Text

Im still stickin to my guns though. If it was that plant or possibly another of very similar design it was up and running. Lit up like Christmas and bristling with the sound of electrical power. I always thought one benefit of nuclear power was that they were nearly silent. Ill always remember that low slowly pulsing humm. It wasnt really loud but audible enough to hear a couple hundered yards away. Im digging into official nuke plant records trying to see if anything is listed for it w/the Department of Energy.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
The hum you heard was probably power transformers.
The only military bases I know of with active nuclear reactors are operated by the Navy for the nuclear power program. After graduating nuclear power school, trainees spend 6 months operating a nuclear power plant to gain profieciency and pass the final check out before being sent to a nuclear submarine or aircraft carrier.

NPTU Charleston SC
NPTU Ballston Spa NY
NPTU Idaho Falls ID

Why would the Pentagon need a nuclear reactor ?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Why does the Pentagon need a reactor? In any kind of large scale attack on the US power facilities would logically be some of the first hit targets. Knowing this the US military would like to be as self sufficient as possible in case of this. This is all part of very long standing thinking to be the last military standing. Goes back to ww2. Relying soley on outside powersources would be foolish. Since the end of ww2 and the birth of the atomic age the US has of course ultimatley designed itslef to withstand a WMD attack as well as possible. This is my theory on why all large US bases have some kind of self sufficient power supply be it nuclear or not. The most realistic is of course nuclear power.

Text

Like Ive said numerous times in previous post just where did all these Army nuclear engineers trained on an Army nuclear reactor go to? Weve trained thousands over the years just at Ft.Belvoir alone. Why does the Army need all these reactor techs? I can understand having the expertise at hand but this has been going on for a long time.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I am stationed at Fort Campbell, Ky and we have a Nuclear Reactor its called the Cumberland Nuclear Power Plant. Just joking, but I have been all over the base and never have I seen any radiological signs nor have I ever detected nuclear particles on my gieger counter while doing nbc ops in the field here

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonofSpy
In any kind of large scale attack on the US power facilities would logically be some of the first hit targets.

In the type of doomsday scenario you're talking about, wouldn't the Pentagon itself be hit ? I don't think they'd want a nuclear reactor to add to the problem.
I'm certain they have back up generators and the like for contigency situations but it is really pushing it to believe there is a secret reactor underneath the building. The military, at least the Navy, is extremely anal about the way they operate their nuclear reactors with much safer operating parameters than civilian power plants. I don't see how it could have been there all this time without some hints of it leaking out. It just doesn't seem at all practical. And knowing the way they think, I would be sure the defense brainiacs would be more concerned with a problem with the reactor affecting the Pentagon's safety and mission than the benefit of electrical power.
Didn't you make the original assertion that ALL bases have them ? I think you're making crap up. I'd just like some kind of evidence or backup. Not just because you want to believe it's there.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by Schaden]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Is that why they targeted the Pentagon on 9/11? that would be a good thread.

I do not see the benefit of the nuclear reactors though. I live across the bay from Macdill, where if anywhere there would be nuclear energy, and there has never been any mention. Only that Crystal River nuclear power plant.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I just happen to work on Ft. Belvoir. Not only that, but I work in the building next to D-Ceeta. Well, it's about 1 mile down the road, but it's the closest building. Anyway, did that reactor look like the one in this link:

www.belvoir.army.mil...

I haven't back in the woods as far as you were talking about, but there still is a little airfield back there that they still use for helicoptors. They fly over my building all the time and go back there.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Thank god. And thanks Unibomber. Yes it did look very very much like the SMP-1. Even the surrounding land looks like the same kind of woods. A couple things were different though. First it had a very definitive looking short hourglass shaped smokestack. It was barely any taller than the building itself. From the direction I was looking at it from the dome was to the left of the smokestack. I meant LARGE US bases.

Text

Im still sticking to my guns. what I saw was very real and very active. Remember that this was also 1988. Ive had some pretty good support on this issue ever since I stumbled across the SMP-1 photo. Ive still never seen another nuclear power facility this compact. Ive done some research and I still cant find anything on what happened to the reactor after 1973. It was one of three experimental reactors meant to be built quickly. Ive found the history on the other two but I cant find a thing on whatever bacme of the SMP-1. Was it torn down? I can find no evidence of it. What happened to the core itself? So far havnt found anything on that either.

Text

The three reactor program had three locations across the country one of them being Belvoir. One was aboard an old WW2 Liberty ship that was heavily modified to be a floating nuclear power plant! Plenty of history on that. The core was removed long ago and processed. Into what is anybodys guess. The ship itself now sits in the James River. Interestingly enough its not mothballed its in a researve fleet. Its ready to go as soon as you plug in another reactor.

Text

When the SMP-1 went up in the 50's the locals griped quite a bit about health effects. Local elders still do. It had a perfect safety record. Ive gone on Terraserver and looked for it several times. I believe I was deep in the woods directly on the base north of the Defense Ceeta. Im pretty tempted to go back but its quite illegal and the woods have grown over even more. Its kind of hard to find good info in depth on post 1955 Belvoir especially now that its post 9/11.

Text

Unibomber, you sound like a civvie. As many at the D-Ceeta are. Anymore insight would be quite helpful. The part about the old airstrip in the woods behind the D-Ceeta is quite interesting too. I believe alot on Terraserver has been heavily altered.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The pentagon has a number of reactors, nuclear fuel processing facilities and nuclear research programs.

Don't forget about all of those nuclear powered subs out there.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
SonofSpy,
I'm a contractor. I always wondered where those choppers where going though. They fly just over the tree-line and just landed in the woods. There is a dirt road that heads out that way. It has a gate though. Never been out that way.

I was talking with one of teh "Old Timers" here at work and asked about that SMP-1 reactor. He said that it's on the other side of post by the park. After the deactivated it, they left the control center intact, but filled the reactor in with cement. I'm not sure how true all that is, but it's more than I know.

But that leaves the question.... If the SMP-1 is on the other side of post, what is it that you saw? I'd love to help you out, but I'm not walking back there to find out. Those cetta guys don't take kindly to people snooping around back there.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I have lived one many A.F.B. for over twenty years and I still work and live on one and I have only known them to have centers for nuclear storage but thats for weapons. Places like Waurdsmith afb -closed-, the old S.A.C. bases.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Hi everyone. This topic seems to contain some sentiment which I have found common with the public. Everyone seem to think that nuclear power is some mysterious power the government uses and hides from the public. As an electrical engineer, and someone who has some experience with nuclear power, I'm going to have to disagree with your nuclear-reactor-on-every-military-base theory for several reasons:

1. Nuclear power plants are the least useful form of backup power. These plants are massively expensive and require constant monitoring. Even a small shut down reactor would require a large staff to maintain it all the time. There are much easier ways to generate backup electricity. The only advantage nuclear power has over other forms of power generation is that it's relatively clean. All the nuclear fission does is provide heat which boils water to make steam which turns turbines. Coal plants burn coal to heat water and make steam which is used to turn turbines. It's the same process, the heat just comes from a different mechanism. Nuclear reactors do nothing magical to create electricity. Any type of power plant could produce just as much power....which brings me to my next point:

2. If they had a full-blown nuclear power steam power generation plant, what the heck would they do with all that power!?! You don't need that kind of power to run buildings where the largest load is going to be chill plants for the air conditioning.

3. It's impossible to have a reactor on every base. A nuclear reactor is just a special type of steam power plant. Any power plant would need a huge source of water to operate. The "heat sink" rivers provide for power plants is absolutely necessary for the thermodynamic processes to occur that drive the turbines which generate electricity. Without a river, no power plant would work. Since some bases are land-locked, it would be impossible for them to have power plants (of any significant size).

4. Having a reactor nearby is not a good idea unless it is of significant use. I wouldn't expose myself to the elevated radiation levels and the threat of an attack breaching the containment vessel just to have some backup power which any type of generator would support.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
The pentagon has a number of reactors, nuclear fuel processing facilities and nuclear research programs.

Don't forget about all of those nuclear powered subs out there.

Well, it's not exactly "home grown." General Electric manufactures the cores (yeah, the same company that makes your light bulbs), and most of the nuclear research is done by private contractors like Bettis Laboratories and KAPL. Of course all the research is orchestrated by Naval Reactors which is directed by a very, very, very smart 4-star Admiral.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I totally believe SonoFly, because I myself have seen the plant, I have two or three maps of the base (my luck, I found them in the base library). I also have a few article's on it.

I live on the post for three years and have many "Top Secret" map and photo's of the base. I wish at the time I had a camera.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
He posted a picture of it in another thread.

Ft Belvior was a trainign base for engineers, and generator repairers. It was also the main trainign base for power plant operators and repait personel. Thus, the reason there is a big nuke plant there. Last time I checked, they still train power plant technicians there from around the world. However, the thing has been dead for a while, as far as being active.

But you are incorrect in your assumption that all major US military bases have nuclear power plants. Ft Belvior has its plant because they teach people how to operate and repair major power generation facilities.

I have been on several US bases at home and overseas, several major ones, and I am quite unaware of any nuclear facilities. The cloest thing I knew of was a big nuclear [power plant that was right next to the Hanau Army community in Germany. However, this nuke plant was owned and operated by the germans, and no longer ran on nuke power, but was converted to coal use instead.

But Belvior's nuke plant is no real big secret, even us trainees who were stationed there knew about it, and from what they told us, it was inoperative and was used mainly for teaching and training.

Really? Not from my knowledge. The plant was said to supply the base and local community with power, but one of the reactors being deactivated in the late 60's.

[edit on 19-12-2005 by Weps_The_Tanker]

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
If a base were to have this it would be either a51 or a19 where they would be experimenting with rail guns / high powered lasers

[edit on 12/25/05 by TristanBW9456]

[edit on 12/25/05 by TristanBW9456]

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
As stated previously, it's not exactly a secret that a military installation would have some form of backup power to remain operational in the event of an attack. From my understanding, most of these backup generators are built mostly underground, with only the required vents and such being above ground, in order to protect the generator. I don't see why a nuclear plant would be out of the question, beyond the astronomical cost and extensive maintenance that kind of makes their cost efficiency prohibitive.

It does seem more logical that bases which are working on development and testing of electrically based weapons (such as rail guns, plasma weapons, etc - some of which actually ARE in development/testing) would have a dedicated power plant to generate the needed electricity to power these devices. Nuclear power? Probably not. Oil or Diesel? Most likely. Some form of alternative power generation source? Possible, but only as possible as you believe covered up alternative energy sources go.

Do dedicated power plants exist on most, if not all, military bases? Yes. Are they all nuclear? Highly doubtful.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
if they were conducting large scale weapons testing with weapons that have a huge apetite for power. I dont beleve plasma uses all that much energy. What about a HUGE railgun which works as a nuke but without the fallout. kinda like the ones that you fly down the barrel of to destroy in the ps2 game air force delta strike. If it was possible to make something like this it would require a massive amount of power. Also there could be an underground maglev train connecting many important military bases.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Note, that the hourglass shaped towers characteristic of nuclear plants, are not really specifically characteristic of nuclear plants.

That's part of the cooling system, what they use when there isn't a large ocean or lake.

They can be seen with other sorts of installations and power plants, and presumably the only thing running through the tower is water.

The nuclear reactor itself would be in the next building over.

So, in other words, just seeing hte hourglass shaped towers means little specifically other than that there is probably a generator plant of some kind nearby.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join