It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breakdancing to be an Olympic Sport?? "New and Improved" Olympics

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776
Personally I find it more impressive than curling, but at least curling has a point system. How can ones dancing be objectively scored?

Olympic beer pong is getting more and more likely during our lifetime.

You can score it.
Just like figure skating or floor routine.

Points for certain moves.
Degree of difficulty
Things like that.

If you're looking at it just from an athletic perspective these high level dancers have it.
Amazing control of their body.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yes, you're correct. It's no different than Sychronous Swimming or the dancing around with ribbons thing (what is that...interpretive dance or something?)

I'm just kidding around.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Rhythmic gymnastics

I think putting this in the Olympics is lame.

Just saying they are athletic and it can be scored.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 05:29 AM
link   
youtu.be...

In phone so can't imbed
That's only 90 seconds.

2 jiu jitsu black belts that used to break.

Insane amount of strength and control to do this stuff.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Lets be honest the olympics have become a bonified hypocritical joke.

1. they keep adding (not all at once) so many events that literally one can win a medal and MAYBE not even get a mention (much less any air time) except in a 10 second wrapup at end of the day.

2. the olympics were supposed to be where nations put down their rivalry and engage in physical competition. In fact wars (i believe) were stopped to allow the games to proceed. Now (for example) when tawan wants to compete as its own nation and china throws up a bitch fit, we cave and they run under the "olympic" flag.

3. cheating is SO COMMON and OBVIOUS. From doping to coluding judges. The olympic committe only clamps down when it is so obvious and even then the penalies are (for the most part) a joke. about the only time they have teeth is lately (very lately) some team bans and loss of medals...BTW well after the fact.

4. the olympics were supposed to be AMATEUR ATHLETES. I know that having nation sponsered athletes is a gray area, but common (for example) having PROFESSIONAL basketball players "quit" and claim they are amateur status? Or having the SAME ATHLETES come back multiple times?

5. The bribery of nations (which still goes on) to the committe to get the games in their countries/cities. then add almost no venue EVER BREAKS EVEN. Thus burdening the locals for the cost.

Its time to end this farce and start over.

IMO here is what needs to be done to get back to the intent of the olympics.

1. Pick ONE VENUE for the summer and winter games. All nations chip in for its initial construction and upkeep. Build it in such a way upgrades can be done with minimum fuss. Then on a pre determined rotating basis a nation can be the "host" and decorate it , have opening/closing ceremonies and whatever promotion they like.

2. Standard rules for everyone to follow. From uniforms (sorry if "religious law" for example doesnt like it), to flags, to drug testing (more on that later) , no politics, ect. dont like the rules EVERYONE MUST FOLLOW, then DONT COME.

3. Drug testing of EVERYONE who comes before opening ceremony AND ALL MEDAL WINNERS. Results (they can do that now) as fast as possible but not to exceed one month... if caught cheating , you loose your medal and sponcer country not allowed next year to compete in that event... the cheaters get swift punishment and the countries you bet you butt will take more measures to stop them before they get there.

4. NO PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES. no matter if semi , bush leagues, or pro. If you did it after college then your not qualified.

5. You get one maybe two shots at olympics... NO MORE...personally like one shot but can see case for two.

6. Judges are a panel and score choosen at random... ANY COLUSION OR CHEATING and the judge is BANNED FOR LIFE.

7. All athletes are at least 18. No more young kids tearing their bodies up before their grown up.

8. a SET AMOUNT OF EVENTS (not sure exactly but IMO at least half cut ) PERIOD. If you want to add one, then one must be removed. Try keeping at least to the spirit of the events of old.

I know I expect alot of heat for this rant but common the olympics now are really a joke and I believe my ideas would return them to their formar glory and purpose.

sorry for the long rant

Scrounger

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 06:05 AM
link   
What's next? ..

Video games.

Texting.

Sexbot hurling.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Personally I’m against any “sport” whose result is open to interpretation being a part of the olympics.
Don’t think synchronised swimming or diving should be there and I’m 50/50 on gymnastics.

The faster, longer, higher, stronger not wickedest, sickest, prettiest, awesomest

Edit to add that I’m not saying skateboarders, breakdancers, climbers, divers or especially gymnasts aren’t brilliant athletes, they are, they’re fricken amazing and I’m constantly awed by what they can do.
I’m just saying that that a sport whose result could be affected by human bias or doesn’t have an easily quantifiable result probably shouldn’t be part of the olympics.
edit on 21/2/2019 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

HELL I rarely watch

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   
When you have like stuff like that, it really is not and should not be called The Olympics, because it's not a game at all.
It's a show of favoritism and that is a fact. Like a Yamaha piano competition at the national level.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Lots of competition in the Olympics

Not much in the way of games

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: scrounger

Add in 'Remove all subjective scoring sports', and I'm in full agreement with you.

You're either faster than the other guy, stronger, further, you pin him, score more points (as in goals, not judges opinions), etc. In other words, there's a clear winner and a loser.

That's what the Olympics was meant to be.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
Personally I’m against any “sport” whose result is open to interpretation being a part of the olympics.
Don’t think synchronised swimming or diving should be there and I’m 50/50 on gymnastics.

The faster, longer, higher, stronger not wickedest, sickest, prettiest, awesomest

Edit to add that I’m not saying skateboarders, breakdancers, climbers, divers or especially gymnasts aren’t brilliant athletes, they are, they’re fricken amazing and I’m constantly awed by what they can do.
I’m just saying that that a sport whose result could be affected by human bias or doesn’t have an easily quantifiable result probably shouldn’t be part of the olympics.

I agree. If there isn't a clear defined winner, then it is more "performance art" than sport. This is not to take away from any athleticism, but it just makes the winning too nuanced with judge opinions imho.

If floor gymnastics is an event, then breakdancing nowadays would certainly qualify. Check out B Boy Junior. This guy is amazing and does things that really shouldn't be physically possible. To make matters worse.... he has a lame leg from polio! He is probably too old now though...

of course, I'd prefer an old school battle format with nations going up against each other in a cypher! I can just see North Korea and the US standing off with arms crossed B-Boy style! lol

edit on 21-2-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   

If they can have curling, I don't see why the others can't be in there.

I'd be interested to see what the minimum required moves for breakdancing would be. And would it be scored like figure skating? Got to keep the kids interested in the Olympics.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

If they can have curling, I don't see why the others can't be in there.

I'd be interested to see what the minimum required moves for breakdancing would be. And would it be scored like figure skating? Got to keep the kids interested in the Olympics.

They'd probably use a system like Red Bull break dancing contests. Two guys battle and then winner moves on to next round. Judges and audience reaction would be how I'd do it.

I raced BMX and was super excited to see it added to the Olympics. When I was a kid we all had dreams and heard rumors. Unfortunately, it didn't get in until long after I was past my prime. However, the BMX track in the Olympics is nothing like everyday BMX. The olympic track is way over sized, jumps so big and speeds so high it borders on dangerous/suicidal. The silver medalist from 2012 was paralyzed in a crash practicing a few years ago for 2016 I believe. They did it this way to make it more appealing for TV, but I think it kind of detracts from the actual sport imho.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   
www.theverge.com...

The French Fencing Federation has recognized lightsaber dueling as an official sport

We might not be seeing lightsaber dueling turned into an official Olympic sporting event anytime soon, but as an attempt to get newcomers into fencing, you could do a lot worse.

😊. It’s not breakdancing but it’s entertaining too....

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I'd go for this being added to the Summer games...

Freediving:
Free-diving, (breath-hold diving), or skin diving is a form of underwater diving that relies on breath-holding until resurfacing rather than the use of breathing apparatus such as scuba gear.

Not only is world record material rare, but dangerous as hell. And for me, if it's going to be in the Olympics, it should have an element of danger of serious injury or death involved.

I loves me some 90m ski jumping and skeleton in the Winter Olympics.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

That Roxy battle is the best.

Crazy the rock steady crew is still dancing
Crazy legs is still around

Kuriyaki was in that movie. Was supposed to be the best of all of them

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

That Roxy battle is the best.

Crazy the rock steady crew is still dancing