It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coast Guard lieutenant, dubbed 'domestic terrorist,' had hit list of media bigs and Dem lawmakers: p

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gandalf77

originally posted by: shooterbrody

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: face23785

It is a stockpile
By definition

They are picking at the wording to discredit and defend.

Look, I’m from Idaho, and 1000 rounds might be considered a good start. Stockpile? No.
Just saying...

For people that don't own guns or shoot, 1000 is a lot more than 0.
They have no idea how fast those are used up in practice.
1000 is a "scary" number to them.

All good points. Taken as a singular figure, it probably does seem scary to someone who doesn’t shoot. Depending on what you’re shooting, one good afternoon at the range could put a serious dent in that....

I agree it showed he had means of orchestrating an attack.
What was shown in the pictures of his stockpile was not that impressive imo and could be picked up at cabellas or bass pro shops in a couple of weekends.
IMO what is getting lose is the fact that the leos got him before he could attempt any attack. YAY
Taking crazy people with weapons off the streets used to be one thing we could all agree on?

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I'm glad that they managed to catch this right wing white male before he does their usual thing like walk into place and start shooting people. Why is it usually white right wing males, sure there have been an occasional some other type of person but usually the same MO by the same type of perp.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

It is a stockpile
By definition

Look, I’m from Idaho, and 1000 rounds might be considered a good start. Stockpile? No.
Just saying...

All good points. Taken as a singular figure, it probably does seem scary to someone who doesn’t shoot. Depending on what you’re shooting, one good afternoon at the range could put a serious dent in that....

It's also just a pointless position the people trying to make this point are coming from. Like, omg, 1000 rounds? You could kill 1000 people with that!

Okay, what would be more reasonable? Should we only be allowed to own 50 rounds? You could still kill 50 people with that, is that okay? It just makes no logical sense. And if you're a responsible owner, you should shoot fairly often to maintain your proficiency so in the event you ever have to use your gun you're not firing wildly and hitting bystanders. You need a fair amount of ammo to practice. Buying it 50 rounds at a time is simply not practical.

You would think that's something the "common sense gun control" folks would be FOR, not against.

Right. It’s a strange and sensational detail to focus on in the broader context of the story.
Possessing firearms and ammunition establishes that the individual in question had the means to carry out an attack. OK, moving on. What was the motivation? How detailed was the planning/premeditation? There are a number of other details/questions to discuss, but they’re going to be more challenging and subjective. A 1,000 round “stockpile” is an easier talking point to seize on, but it really doesn’t do much to illuminate the bigger picture.

This goes to a larger problem with the media. If you watch any of the cable news networks, left or right, it's all the same format. One-hour show after one-hour show discussing the same 5 or 6 stories for 2 or 3 minutes each while the guests rattle off the same tired talking points that barely scratch the surface of the issue.

If I had a news network, I would do 2 or maybe even 3-hour shows, and each issue would be discussed for several segments each so you could really do a deep dive on them. Now, of course, who is gonna sit there and watch a 3-hour show? (the same people that will sit there for hours watching the consecutive one-hour shows and hearing the same # over and over). But in the interest of serving people who maybe just want to catch one or two issues, provide an outline at the beginning of the show of what you are going to be covering at each point in the show, so maybe if someone just wants to learn about story B they can just come back at that time to watch that part of the show. At the end, you could do a 10-minute wrap-up where you go over the basics of all the stories for those who just want that snapshot.

I know this format would never work in our current media environment, because it probably wouldn't get the ratings the current format does, which of course is why they do it. It doesn't matter that the current format is virtually useless for actually informing people about the issues. That's not the media's purpose anymore.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rokal

I'm glad that they managed to catch this right wing white male before he does their usual thing like walk into place and start shooting people. Why is it usually white right wing males, sure there have been an occasional some other type of person but usually the same MO by the same type of perp.

Which is precisely why this type of incident, rare as it is, is sensationalized. The thousands of lives lost every year to inner city violence mean nothing, we will focus on the few dozen a year in mass shootings because we can blame that on the NRA and "righty's" (hilarious failure of grammar by the way).

Also ironic, the partisan sensationalizing of these actually causes more of them, but again party above all. Who cares about the lives lost by copycats seeking their media fame? As long as it advances the agenda, those lives mean nothing.
edit on 21 2 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I also love how Fox news and other right wing media and Trump amp these idiots up and then act surprised when one of them does something and then claim innocence. They make highly inflammable remarks then turn around say " we had no idea our lies and propaganda would create this type of person"

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Which is precisely why this type of incident, rare as it is, is sensationalized. The thousands of lives lost every year to inner city violence mean nothing, we will focus on the few dozen a year in mass shootings because we can blame that on the NRA and "righty's" (hilarious failure of grammar by the way).

Also ironic, the partisan sensationalizing of these actually causes more of them, but again party above all. Who cares about the lives lost by copycats seeking their media fame? As long as it advances the agenda, those lives mean nothing.

righty's" (hilarious failure of grammar by the way)

I know..right.
I was waiting for this type of comment because you guys are so predictable and you missed a lot of other grammar errors.

Another predictable part from your side, when talking about gun violence...etc bring up inner city. It is not like you guys actually care about the inner city violence because you seem to only bring it up with this type of topic.

The only time you guys care about minorities is when they are useful to you.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

a reply to: Sillyolme

You are correct.

It has been clear to me for a while now that there is no actual discussion to be had with this crowd.
It's just not possible.

Then why are you here?

You and silly dont want a discussion. You want an opportunity to toss around accusations and call people terrorists.

You and silly seem to use this as a security blanket and have been since the election in order to make yourselves feel better that you lost.

Discussion? Give me a break.
edit on 21 2 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

righty's" (hilarious failure of grammar by the way)

I know..right.
I was waiting for this type of comment because you guys are so predictable and you missed a lot of other grammar errors.

Another predictable part from your side, when talking about gun violence...etc bring up inner city. It is not like you guys actually care about the inner city violence because you seem to only bring it up with this type of topic.

The only time you guys care about minorities is when they are useful to you.

This is the most impressive job of projecting I've seen in a while on this site.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I also love how Fox news and other right wing media and Trump amp these idiots up and then act surprised when one of them does something and then claim innocence. They make highly inflammable remarks then turn around say " we had no idea our lies and propaganda would create this type of person"

Yeah this is totally unique to the right:

Suspect in Congressional shooting was Bernie Sanders supporter, strongly anti-Trump - CNN

Take the blinders off dude. I'm not even sure I should take you seriously anymore. I couldn't write a caricature of an uninformed leftist that looked more ignorant than you do right now.
edit on 21 2 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Suspect in Congressional shooting was Bernie Sanders supporter, strongly anti-Trump - CNN

Take the blinders off dude. I'm not even sure I should take you seriously anymore. I couldn't write a caricature of an uninformed leftist that looked more ignorant than you do right now.

Predictable again.

OOOO look to counter the multiple times that a right wing idiot has acted upon lies and propaganda from the the right wing media, I will counter with the single time it has also happened from your side. Kind of like when presented with a Yuge list of Trumps lies, you bring up the Obama (keep your doctor) lie.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I've tried discussion.

Now I'm just going to call it like I see it

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: r0xor>>> This sounds like he was M K Ultra prepped and they sacrificed him up as a diversion for something else. Maybe the Smollett case which is going to damage Cory Booker down the road. Or the Mueller fiasco. There was another marine officer that went haywire and shot up a base not too long ago. I said the same thing about him. They had him programmed and either he went off prematurely or they lost him when he slipped his programming gears.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Predictable again.

OOOO look to counter the multiple times that a right wing idiot has acted upon lies and propaganda from the the right wing media, I will counter with the single time it has also happened from your side. Kind of like when presented with a Yuge list of Trumps lies, you bring up the Obama (keep your doctor) lie.

Again, projecting. When your list of Trump's lies itself includes lies, it's useless. And you really think that's the only time a left-winger shot anybody? I feel sorry for you. You're a poster child for brainwashing.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

It is a stockpile
By definition

Just saying...

I agree it showed he had means of orchestrating an attack.
What was shown in the pictures of his stockpile was not that impressive imo and could be picked up at cabellas or bass pro shops in a couple of weekends.
IMO what is getting lose is the fact that the leos got him before he could attempt any attack. YAY
Taking crazy people with weapons off the streets used to be one thing we could all agree on?

Absolutely. That's the most important detail to me here: Law enforcement got this guy before anyone lost their life.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
'IS IS baby' *da-da-da-dun* a reply to: Gandalf77

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

It is a stockpile
By definition

Just saying...

It's also just a pointless position the people trying to make this point are coming from. Like, omg, 1000 rounds? You could kill 1000 people with that!

Okay, what would be more reasonable? Should we only be allowed to own 50 rounds? You could still kill 50 people with that, is that okay? It just makes no logical sense. And if you're a responsible owner, you should shoot fairly often to maintain your proficiency so in the event you ever have to use your gun you're not firing wildly and hitting bystanders. You need a fair amount of ammo to practice. Buying it 50 rounds at a time is simply not practical.

You would think that's something the "common sense gun control" folks would be FOR, not against.

Right. It’s a strange and sensational detail to focus on in the broader context of the story.
Possessing firearms and ammunition establishes that the individual in question had the means to carry out an attack. OK, moving on. What was the motivation? How detailed was the planning/premeditation? There are a number of other details/questions to discuss, but they’re going to be more challenging and subjective. A 1,000 round “stockpile” is an easier talking point to seize on, but it really doesn’t do much to illuminate the bigger picture.

This goes to a larger problem with the media. If you watch any of the cable news networks, left or right, it's all the same format. One-hour show after one-hour show discussing the same 5 or 6 stories for 2 or 3 minutes each while the guests rattle off the same tired talking points that barely scratch the surface of the issue.

If I had a news network, I would do 2 or maybe even 3-hour shows, and each issue would be discussed for several segments each so you could really do a deep dive on them. Now, of course, who is gonna sit there and watch a 3-hour show? (the same people that will sit there for hours watching the consecutive one-hour shows and hearing the same # over and over). But in the interest of serving people who maybe just want to catch one or two issues, provide an outline at the beginning of the show of what you are going to be covering at each point in the show, so maybe if someone just wants to learn about story B they can just come back at that time to watch that part of the show. At the end, you could do a 10-minute wrap-up where you go over the basics of all the stories for those who just want that snapshot.

I know this format would never work in our current media environment, because it probably wouldn't get the ratings the current format does, which of course is why they do it. It doesn't matter that the current format is virtually useless for actually informing people about the issues. That's not the media's purpose anymore.

Well, for what it's worth, I would watch that show. (May have to record it so I could FF the commercials and such.)
You make a valid point, and I would add that it applies to the written word as well. In our sound-byte happy culture, quick and shallow is the name of the game. The news media is particularly designed to be shallow and negative (on both sides, as you point out). In many ways, it's a 24/7 cycle of negativity desgined to hook people, and it's bad for our health. Psychological studies have shown this to be true. (I have a fascinating article about this somewhere; I'll see if I can dig it up.) If you really want to understand something, you have to be willing to take a deep dive. You have to be willing to read an article that may be several pages in length--or, heaven forbid, a book.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   

a reply to: projectvxn

I've tried discussion.

Now I'm just going to call it like I see it

Did you make those attempts between unfounded accusations?

Call it like you see it?

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No. I find it a strange coincidence the day Smollett is arrested this suddenly comes out.

This guy as in the Marines for 4 years and then reserves. He was caught with drugs so this is a pill popping wanna be with a lot of hate but he did not do anything. Who cares who he looked up to. Who cares who he wrote. Who cares if he has guns.

Did he do anything? Nope. Am I glad he is off the streets. Yes. Sounds like a nutcase but it is all a distraction. He was arrested LAST WEEK so why is this suddenly in the news now and not then...

Jussie Smollett...

edit on Febpm28pmf0000002019-02-21T12:14:00-06:001200 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

It's been over a year that an Atonwaffen cell in Florida was arrested with explosives and plans to blow up a nuclear power plant.

No matter when that gets brought up it gets swept under the rug.

Face it. ATS blows anything involving people on the Left way out of proportion while at the same time they bend over backwards to diminish any horrible thing someone on the Right does.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Rokal

Seriously. Some of the comments I've seen in this thread.

He has a list of Fox News' Most Wanted and people are trying to claim it's not a hit list.

According to this site the most horrendous person on the Right can do no wrong while if a protester on the Left stands in the road they deserve to be killed in the worst way possible.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join