It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civil Forfeiture: Unanimously Pimp Slapped by SCOTUS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This oft-used statute to steal people’s property has been unanimously ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS.

The particular case SCOTUS heard involved a heroin dealer/user and his personal property, a vehicle, and an Indiana jurisdiction that took ownership of said property as a ‘fine’; SCOTUS ruled it violates the 8th amendment’s “excessive fines” clause and the jurists did so unanimously — when is the last time there was a 9-0 ruling? In today’s climate?? Good stuff happened this AM in D.C.

SCOTUS Rules Civil Forfeiture Unconstitutional

Anyone ever been caught up in this? I had $700 taken in Horry County, SC and spent a night in jail (there isn’t a fulltime magistrate) for an “open container”...I was told I could take the open plea and stay out of trouble in SC and have everything expunged, or I could go to trial and challenge it after the case was adjudicated. Went with the former.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
THANK YOU SCOTUS!

You know its a messed up policy when EVERYONE agrees.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Doh! Existing thread: Link

I used the search function and returned threads from 2015...at any rate, mods do your thang if this one needs to be closed.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

edit on 2/20/2019 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Would this affect EO that Trump signed in Dec, 21, 2017?

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

You know the funny thing? Guy driving my car was Black/Iranian and the detective that — he told me in the interview room that they’d use money to buy ‘dope’ and he’d put a good word — took (I did sign a piece of paper declaring it as property but ‘forfeited’ it on my own volition, which was a complete fabrication) the money was a black man. The white guy came out the loser in that instance.

Glad it won’t happen to anyone in the future.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   

My bad!
edit on 20/2/19 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
a reply to: CriticalStinker

You know the funny thing? Guy driving my car was Black/Iranian and the detective that — he told me in the interview room that they’d use money to buy ‘dope’ and he’d put a good word — took (I did sign a piece of paper declaring it as property but ‘forfeited’ it on my own volition, which was a complete fabrication) the money was a black man. The white guy came out the loser in that instance.

Glad it won’t happen to anyone in the future.

never believe a cop. ever.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Will this effect the wall?

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
THANK YOU SCOTUS!

You know its a messed up policy when EVERYONE agrees.

No matter what side of the aisle a justice comes down on, this is a blatant violation of constitutional rights.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   

This is a great ruling for freedom.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Finally! Can’t believe we had legalized, officer enacted theft for so long.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Please contribute your thoughts and opinions to the previously posted thread on this topic:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join