It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Democrats seek to lower voting age in state to 16, so teens can ‘protect their future’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

As long as this advances the progressive cause, I approve.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

On behalf of the fine state of Oregon, I'd like to apologize to the nation and entire world for being the most idiotic state in the union.

I know some may think Illinois, California or New Jersey should take that honor, but with this proposal, I think we finally beat them out.

Is your State building a High Speed Rail from,

Bakersfield to Fresno ?

Your freaks got nothing for our freaks.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Civil liberty isn't suppose to discriminate.

Even if their politics are snip.

The second amendment applies to every man,woman,regardless of sexual preference,creed or asinine political ideology.

Civil liberty isn't supposed to discriminate, agreed. As well the 2nd applies to every man and woman regardless of sexual or political ideology. But the issue here is not those. The issue here is age.

You suggested that you think that if the voting age should be lowered to 16 that they should be allowed to possess arms. I offered the state laws concerning that issue showing that the state laws DO allow for possession of fire arms to those under 18 years of age, which was your contingency to for allowing those 16 year olds the vote.

So if civil liberties should not discriminate, to you also hold that it should not discriminate against those under 18 and that as they can already possess firearms according to state and federal laws that they should also be allowed to vote?

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

IF they are going to lower the voting age.

They need to lower the age to everything else.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

What are you getting at neo? You saying teens shouldn't be allowed spray paint! Fascist!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I'm saying.

If we're to treat kids like adults.

Treat them like adults.

With all the amenities.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Was joking man, but this isn't about teens. It's about pathetic uber-liberals trying to stay in power by exploiting children.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Be ok as long at they lower all the age to 16 and quit discriminating against adults.

Drinking, buying cigarettes buying guns all 16 or see ya in court

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

IF they are going to lower the voting age.

They need to lower the age to everything else.

Fine. So do you have any considerations of just how low any of those should be? Just when is a child to be considered an adult, adult enough to exercise their rights as citizens. 18? 19? 14? Where do we set those limits. Sex for instance. Setting a lower age of consent to what. Is not the age of consent already too high? Do not our bodies, our natural limits for sexuality already tell us when it is time to begin having sex? Puberty. That is when our bodies tell us it is time yet our society not only makes it illegal to have sex below certain ages yet still well beyond the point that our bodies begin to yell at us do it, do it , do it.

Yet even though our bodies tell us go go ahead and do it at puberty, how is it that so many are so willing to call young women of that age bad names and brand them as harlots and young sluts. If we take puberty as the natural timing to begin sex, would not an across the board age for all the other civil liberties also be allowed at puberty?

Do you see what I am getting at here? You say you are in favor of uniform laws for our civil liberties so why not make them all at the point of puberty.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I doubt most 16 YOs know how to protect their future. It will be along the lines of free everything for us. That should assure a good future.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Well, can a 16 year walk into a gun store unaccompanied, pick out a handgun semi auto, pass a background check and purchase said fire arm in Oregon?
Nah
Now the kids, who would have a fire arm gifted to them by a parent or guardian ( lucky) those few would be pro 2nd I suspect anyway.

But heres what youre leaving out: Oregon has 96k square miles and a population in 2017 of 4,142,776 of that the population of rural Oregon is just 669,654 (16%). So seeing how the 84% that live in cities in Oregon are rabidly anti 2nd amendment...its a pretty obvious ploy to me, that theyre trying to pull a fast one and do an end run around a right.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I joined the marine corps at 17 and couldn’t vote, had to pay all the taxes too. It would be great if military prospects could vote if they joined like I did before you were 18 years of age.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   

No one batted as much as an eye when a school field trip full of kids not old enough to vote were wearing maga hats and a kid gets yelled at for wearing a maga hat at a mall but now that a "liberal" state is thinking of lowering the voting age the conservatives on this site are up in arms. Go figure.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

Hell, let's lower it to 6! Teachers will surely "help" them cast those ballots.

Lower voting age to six to tackle bias against young, says academic

www.theguardian.com...

If you want to go by the numbers, most people want the age to vote left at 18 or upped to 21.

www.procon.org...

The vast majority of Americans of all ages and political views agree that 16-year-olds should not be given the right to vote. A 2018 poll from The Atlantic and the Public Religion Research Institute found that 81% of Americans oppose lowering the voting age to 16, with a scant 16% in favor. Only 19% of young people support the idea, and just 9% of seniors. Among Democrats, 25% would like to see the voting age lowered; support among Republicans is a mere 6%. [39]

A different survey found 8% support for lowering the voting age to 16; 45% want to keep it at 18; and 46% would like to raise it back to age 21. [40]

A Twitter poll by WJLA, the ABC news affiliate in Washington, DC, found just 18% support for a proposed bill to lower the voting age to 16 in the District of Columbia, compared to 77% against. [41] The local NBC news affiliate ran a similar poll online in which 83% of participants were against the bill.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket
The blue spreads a little further east every year, pray it doesn’t pass the Dalles! Or reach the dalles for that matter.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

So where are you going with that post. Please Finnish it/

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I am on board with raising the voter age.

But this is a states rights issue.

The people of oregon voted in the dems and I assume that those voters are ok with this.

That means I'm ok with it.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Translation:

Kids are f# stupid and they'll vote for us.

We know this because we brainwashed their idiot parents too, just not as... completely.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Great, so they are going to write in Pokemon characters? We've been told that human brains don't finish developing until their 20s as it is, now they want kids to vote too? A bit too easy to manipulate, inclined to act rebellions just for the sake of pissing off their parents? Great idea! a reply to: infolurker

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join