It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Democrats seek to lower voting age in state to 16, so teens can ‘protect their future’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Democrats move to protect "their future" alright. It is not bad enough that most colleges are activist indoctrination centers so now they want to expand that down to the high school level for vote farming. Of course it appears this is about relieving the citizens of Oregon of those firearms as well.

www.oregonlive.com...

They’re pushing a bill that would amend Oregon’s constitution to lower the voting age in the state from 18 to 16. They hope to put it before voters in 2020.

Younger Oregonians should have “a chance to participate in the ballot -- about decisions that affect their homes, their clean air, their future, their schools and, as we’ve seen, their very lives,” Democratic state Sen. Shemia Fagan said at a Monday press conference announcing the measure.

Teens are “begging us to take action to protect their future," she added. OPB reported that she referenced the student activists from Parkland, Florida, who launched the “Never Again” movement in the wake of the 2018 mass shooting at their high school

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Dems need to be careful, a whole lot of stuff has been blowing up in their faces lately.

Doesn't most studies show that the younger generations are moving more conservative and away from the progressive left? I believe they do, so I'd be careful if I were a desperate dem.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
This is about taxes. If you are under 18 you get almost all income tax back if working because no taxation without representation. If you are allowed to vote, the government keeps your tax money!!

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

I live here in Oregon, and just heard about this crap yestetday. If anything, the voting age should be raised to 25, particularly if you have lived in a city all your life and were born after say...1995 (being generous).

Utter foolishness. Can see the HIGHschool teachers now, ok kids lets bring in your mail in ballots tomorrow and fill them out "together"

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

I'm sure that with this snippet the Democrats have totally
skipped over the skiff chock full of glowing channel smelt.

My comment about the general competency and knowledge
of the law by the USA body politic is withheld for T&C... but
they ran out of reasonably susceptible skulls to brainwash and
may be resorting to Vlad Lenin's rule of thumb.
Unfortunately even the pre-millenials are catching the stink in
the skiff-- and the party leadership should be merely [observed]
blowing their own constituency off like so many appendages.

Seems like a good time to leave the 21st century Whigs to [#metoo].
Fresh outa zombies.... never drink the blood of the UNdead either, Annie.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Teens are “begging us to take action to protect their future," she added. OPB reported that she referenced the student activists from Parkland, Florida, who launched the “Never Again” movement in the wake of the 2018 mass shooting at their high school

Okay, if she recognizes this and is representing all of her citizens, she should represent. Or is it that she believes she can only listen if you actually vote for her...all other voices be damned?

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   

On behalf of the fine state of Oregon, I'd like to apologize to the nation and entire world for being the most idiotic state in the union.

I know some may think Illinois, California or New Jersey should take that honor, but with this proposal, I think we finally beat them out.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

*passes crown to DB*

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Giving Floriduh a run for it's money.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Good god democrats are shameless....

16 year olds are idiots...

Now that I think about it, idiocy is the lefts ethos…
So this makes perfect sense...

Keep it up libs and Trump will sail into the 2020 presidency…

-Chris

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Also, it’s a matter of time until Virginia sees this and adopts the voter law with the caveat that the 16 year old MUST be a felon or at least a juvenile delinquent to vote...

That would mean 100% would vote democrat

-Chris

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

On behalf of the fine state of Oregon, I'd like to apologize to the nation and entire world for being the most idiotic state in the union.

I know some may think Illinois, California or New Jersey should take that honor, but with this proposal, I think we finally beat them out.

Y'know, I've had this desire to move to Oregon for a large chunk of my life. I don't really know why, I just always felt it would be a nice place to live. After meeting my wife and talking about it, she even agreed, Oregon would be a nice place to move to.

Yeah, not anymore. The last couple of years Oregon seems to be going to ridiculous extremes so much that I don't even want to visit the place. Every time I start to think that maybe the insanity is over, I read something like this that just reminds me that maybe we're better off staying in Colorado...........for now, lately CO seems to be playing the "hold my beer" card. :

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

It is a beautiful state. It's just the morons in Portland and Salem that have ruined it.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

You forgot about Florida. Doesn't it generally get the label of Flori-DUH?

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Brother, don't get in a pissin match with Illinois politicians when it comes to stupid.
You will lose.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   

a reply to: Necrobile

It is a beautiful state. It's just the morons in Portland and Salem that have ruined it.

Oh, I believe it, that's one of the biggest reasons I kept feeling the pull. I've talked to many people who've lived there and they all tell me how beautiful of a state that it is.

It's the people who I worry about.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I say let it pass, serve an experiment to the rest of the country and world.

But if you're 16 and register to vote, than you are saying you are a grown adult ready to help make decisions in the country, therefor....

-Your parents can no longer claim you as a dependent

-You fit into the same tax brackets as the rest of us

There are some more that aren't coming to mind, but if a kid wants to be an adult, they can't pick and choose, they gotta accept all or nothing.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

They should be able to smoke and drink at the very least!

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

a reply to: CriticalStinker

They should be able to smoke and drink at the very least!

We shouldn't leave out signing up for selective services at 16 if you register to vote.

It's only fair.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
They are likely only doing that due to political attitudes of that and group. If very young people leaned right dems would want to raise the voting age to 30 lol.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join