It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Giant figures unearthed in Peru: Older than Nazca lines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Archeologists working in Peru have unearthed a series of figures that were scraped into the hills of the countries southern coastal desert. About 50 of the giant figures are etched into the earth in an area covering 50 square miles. Scientist believe that these drawing predate the famous Nazca lines.

www.cnn.com
LIMA, Peru (AP) -- Archeologists have discovered a group of figures scraped into the hills of Peru's southern coastal desert that are believed to predate the country's famous Nazca lines.

About 50 giant figures were etched into the earth over an area of roughly 90 square miles (145 square kilometers) near the city of Palpa, El Comercio newspaper reported.

The drawings -- which include human figures as well as animals such as birds, monkeys, and felines -- are believed to have been created by members of the Paracas Culture sometime between 600 and 100 B.C., Johny Islas, the director of the Andean Institute of Archaeological Studies, told the newspaper.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

An interesting find to be sure. I wonder if much like the pyramids, these were test lines or practice efforts. Pyramid builders made several smaller pyramids as they were perfecting the design. Practice or not it still is an amazing feat for the civilization to manage.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
An interesting find to be sure. I wonder if much like the pyramids, these were test lines or practice efforts. Pyramid builders made several smaller pyramids as they were perfecting the design. Practice or not it still is an amazing feat for the civilization to manage.

Well obviously they still had some sort of meaning. Egyptians didnt just say "hey, lets try out a few pyramids today!". They had meaning, even if it became more perfected as they went.

I would like some images though.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

No. Those weren't practice.

We have geoglyphs (that's what those things are called) in North America that are much older than that. Check these out!
survive2012.com...

I meant to check out the Blythe intaglios last trip to California, but got caught up in getting to Inscription Canyon instead:
ronkilber.tripod.com...

new topics

join