It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hellinois minimum wage goes to 15 dollars an hour

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: KawRider9

I own a small corporation and there are some menial jobs that just don't warrant 15 dollars an hour.

So, let me get this right... your pissed cause you think you should have the right to make a profit by paying people slave labour 3rd world wages?

I personally think if you own a business that can't afford to pay a livable wage to employees, then you had an inferior business model in the first place.

I personally think anyone who says this should be forced to start a business, work 100+ hours a week to get it started, then be told by the government how they have to pay people who mop floors and other menial labor that my 8-year old can do.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
this is over the next 6 years...

Business plans are mapped out for at least 5 years...

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

no it is the peon, if the peon decides he won't do the work it doesn't get done therefor the CEO raises the pay or does it himself

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   

a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Another point, my friend from high school is still a dishwasher in the restaurant he worked at in high school. Mind you, we are in our 40's. You honestly think he deserves a living wage? Maybe a plaque for his dedication, but certainly not a living wage. He's a friggen dishwasher!!!

Yeah, it sounds like a crappy job, no doubt. But isn't it a vital role to keeping the company operational?

I mean, could the company operate without a "dishwasher"?

Like if they didn't have one, could the company remain profitable by just serving customers with unwashed cuttery, or whatever? Would they be able to operate their business without getting themselves shut down for health violations, without a dishwasher?

At some point it will be more cost effective to get an automated speed dishwasher and fire his high school friend. I guess dishwashers need to learn to code.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: KawRider9

We have what are called porters, they move cars around the lot, wash vehicles before and after repairs, sweep, take out trash, etc. It's not a job that makes me money, but it's still an important role. That's why I pay them more than minimum wage, while also offering them an opportunity to move up.

Your state dept. of labor should have all kinds of programs to help you train you lower skilled workers, either thru grants or a direct slush fund.

There are also plenty of US govt. grants available for businesses that train unskilled workers to be more productive taxpayers. Especially if you hire minorities or women... It's worth the %age to pay a professional grant writer to apply for you. It's a great way to get a large portion of your tax dollars back.

And if you really want to cash in, become a govt. vendor/contractor and bid on gigs. Contact the GSA for the paper work, or do it online.

If you don't play the system; who's fault is that?

Apparently hosing the tax payer is your road to success...

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
funny how every calls it a Living wage then says people should are not worth a Living wage lol .
kind of saying they should just die .
one thing is true the greedy like the business owner who thinks his own friend should not make enough money TO LIVE !
will just rise there prices to make sure there employs cant live .

its true people will always be sure to price things out of reach of the low lv workers because they don't make money from them of corse its stays that way as the prices will always rise to the highest lv possible as greed can never be filled .
Living wage O they are not worth more then ten bucks ( o ten bucks is good money lol I am 53 my father pushed buttons at a factory ( even a chimp could have done his job )
and over 25 years agaio HE made ten bucks a hour lol good wage ?? what a joke

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

Never said he shouldn't make enough money to live
I said he's stayed at a starting level position for 25+ years and has zero motivation to improve his status. The guy owned a trailer in a pretty nice trailer park. He got over a year behind in lot rent and had to deed the trailer over to the park.

He lives in his parents basement with his two young daughters. He smokes and drinks like there's no tomorrow. Spends his money riding/racing dirt bikes with zero care of his financial situation. He's lazy. And BTW, 10 bucks an hour is a livable wage in Hellinois. My point is he could easily climb the ladder at the diner, but he's comfortable where he's at.

Who's fault is him not attempting to better himself? The greedy diner or his lazy ass?

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
HA you think ten $ a hour is a LIVING wage Your a joke My father made that 25 years agaio PUSHING buttons ,.
And had full health and dental care added .
The dishwasher has more skill then he needed .
Funny thing is somehow its always the OTHER person who should make less then you do isn't it ?
Because your job is so much more important lol .
Let the guys who take off your trash quite working you will find out just how important you really are .
Let the guys who pick the food you eat quite working then you will see who matters more and who should get a Living waged ??
why do humans even need the concept of a Living wage unless they feal others don't deserve to make enough to live ?
why is it on one hand you say people should not make enough to live and on the other complain when they scam and connive for government hand out because you refuse to except the fact the every one wants to live .

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

The idea that people shouldn't make enough to live on is literally one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen

If you can't live then you die so they think people with lower skill sets should die

That's pretty dumb isnt it?

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
before minum wage people were working in sweat shops right here in the US just as in china today to the point people are jumping off buildings .
The only thing minum wage really does is slow down the people who take adavange of working someone 60 80 100 hours a week you woudl love for minum wage to be 5 $ a hour and would be saying its all there worth as they starved .

I have done mostly labor in my life I have had bosses who understood even brute strenght needs to live and made alest enough of a wage to pay my bills then I have worked for people liek you who dont put ONE second of thought into what people need to live only what value you can get .
10 $ is good ?
so they can pay rant food ? health ? with a few dollors left over to live on when they are older ?
taht is a total LIE ! its every member of that personsons family who can working working them self to the grave wile the kids dont get the parenting they need as mom and dad are BOTh working two jobs .

edit on 1-3-2019 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I don't have the answers for greed such as humans have But I don't turn a blind eye wile we ( yes even me use others for our own benfit .
heck we would not have a Illegal problem if not for the greed we want food cheep as possible .
frankly I don't blame them one bit for what every way they find to get what they need .

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: timski
The common mindset I've encountered is 'Minimum wage, minimum effort'. I think it unlikely, with workers who already have that attitude, that increasing the hourly rate will increase productivity.

It's true that raising/lowering won't affect that.

But raising the minimum does enable the few who are ambitious to actually have a hope to get somewhere. If you need to work 80 hours a week to make rent, then what time are you going to allocate to studying for an online degree?

What money will you allocate to paying for that degree?

Unallocated funds are what everyone who gets ahead uses for their investing. (And the unambitious use it to buy dirt bikes and video game systems.)

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

I own a small corporation and there are some menial jobs that just don't warrant 15 dollars an hour.

So, let me get this right... your pissed cause you think you should have the right to make a profit by paying people slave labour 3rd world wages?

I personally think if you own a business that can't afford to pay a livable wage to employees, then you had an inferior business model in the first place.

I personally think anyone who says this should be forced to start a business, work 100+ hours a week to get it started, then be told by the government how they have to pay people who mop floors and other menial labor that my 8-year old can do.

It's not always about who CAN do something. More about who would want to?

I don't want to mop floors.

If you're honest with yourself, you would probably admit the reason you're paying someone to do it is because you don't want to do it. I highly doubt you spend 100% of your day doing tasks that could not be delegated to someone else to give yourself time to mop.

Or maybe you're thinking you "shouldn't have to". Yeah, well, who should?

Never said he shouldn't make enough money to live
I said he's stayed at a starting level position for 25+ years and has zero motivation to improve his status. The guy owned a trailer in a pretty nice trailer park. He got over a year behind in lot rent and had to deed the trailer over to the park.

He lives in his parents basement with his two young daughters. He smokes and drinks like there's no tomorrow. Spends his money riding/racing dirt bikes with zero care of his financial situation. He's lazy. And BTW, 10 bucks an hour is a livable wage in Hellinois. My point is he could easily climb the ladder at the diner, but he's comfortable where he's at.

Who's fault is him not attempting to better himself? The greedy diner or his lazy ass?

Why is it necessary for everyone to have to try and "better them self"? If some people are comfortable living in poverty (trailer parks, parents' basement....) we might as well let them.

Making the world into a giant rat race would not be an improvement over what it already is.

If you had to either improve your lot or die trying, you'd end up with a nation like Russia, where the mafia dominates everything. Because organized crime is where all the losers will go. (Pretty sure that's a big gangster slogan, isn't it? "Get rich or die trying")

People who aren't talented or smart don't just roll over and die when they lose. The look until someone offers them a way. (Not always the person you want them getting their hope from, or the way you want them going about to get it.)

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

no it is the peon, if the peon decides he won't do the work it doesn't get done therefor the CEO raises the pay or does it himself

That's right so why do we need to force the companies to raise the pay they are offering if they have no problem finding illegals that will do the work for current minimum wage or less?

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: toysforadults

That's right so why do we need to force the companies to raise the pay they are offering if they have no problem finding illegals that will do the work for current minimum wage or less?

Because if they don't, there will be no demand for their goods.

In order for someone to buy what you're selling, someone has to have paid them a wage that covers the cost of survival, plus your product.

Employment uncertainty naturally drives workers to lower their wage expectation down to bare subsistence, in order to compete with other workers. But if a substantial fraction of your work force is doing that, then there aren't enough people making higher than subsistence wage.

If hardly anyone is making higher than subsistence wage, then the economy can't possibly produce more than subsistence goods.

If you live in a modern, automated economy, that means you're only producing a very very very tiny fraction of what your economy is capable of producing. (In most automated economies a small fraction of the work force is all that is needed in order to produce subsistence goods for the whole country.)

Production you could make, but don't, is wasted production. It's not saved production. It's simply lost. If a worker stands around for a whole year, that doesn't mean they can do 2 years of producing next year. The time is forever wasted, never to be recovered.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Do you understand that waste is a bad thing in an economy?

Successful economics == efficient use of resources.

Inefficient use of resources can't lead to a good result.

If you only produce subsistence goods, you're living up to the Christian ideal of enduring poverty like Jesus wanted you to. Great. But you're wasting the wealth you could have produced, regardless of how happy Jesus feels.

That's great if you like poverty. However if your goal is poverty, then you needn't bother studying economics.

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: bloodymarvelous

You do bring some valid points.
Lets get down to the basics. If you have lots of jobs but few workers then naturally the pay rates will rise. However if you have only so many jobs yet double or triple the workers to fill those positions then obviously the pay rates will go down.

If you have 30-40 MILLION illegals working for pennys then, well I suppose you can deduce the rest.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   
It's a goldilocks issue.

The natural state of the free market is that it defeats itself by bottoming out at a wage where virtually nothing is being produced.

Absent artificial adjustment of some kind, we're doomed to end up in the same place we would end up if we didn't artificially modify our environment by building houses to live in. (Naked in the wilderness and starving, like a homeless person who won't direct their own fate and leaves it to others)

Where we might agree is that maybe a minimum wage isn't the best way to artificially adjust toward the goldilocks zone (where wages are equal to potential output).

Certainly other things can affect it, like controlling immigration of poor and desperate workers, or ...... probably even more importantly......... not trading freely with nations that are full of poor and desperate workers.

What good does it do to prevent Mexicans entering the country if employers are free to just move their factories to Mexico and get the same benefit? Paying a tariff simultaneously provides tax relief (so your income tax can go down), AND adjusts for that to keep wages high inside the USA.
edit on 9-3-2019 by bloodymarvelous because: shorter

edit on 9-3-2019 by bloodymarvelous because: more succinct

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I think perhaps another part of this comprehension divide is the (highly emotional) perception that, if someone else is worse off, you must therefore be doing better.

It's that perception that keeps the third world poor.

The most fundamental difference between first and third world countries is the presence of a strongly developed, and numerous, middle class.

The way to achieve a strong middle class, is to make sure the jump from poor to middle is AS EASY AS POSSIBLE.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join