It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hellinois minimum wage goes to 15 dollars an hour

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Well, my wife will be going back to work next year as a CNA (certified nurse assistant) next year while working on her RN. CNAs currently make about $13/hr in the Chicago area. I'm guessing such jobs wages will be pushed up, as most would rather serve popcorn for that kind of money than move obese people, wipe butts, etc.

It will push everything up, from the bottom up - including prices, and will lead to further devaluation of currency.

Illinois has been doomed for 20 years, this just accelerates the end. I want to leave, but my parents are aging and don't plan on moving. I won't leave them behind, so I'm trying to convince my brother and his family to plan a move with us as well. We'll bring everyone along to some acreage out west.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I feel you, many family members here is the reason I still am. I guess to be a butterfly I need to expand my wings and take charge of my own way of life. Illinois is not the place for me, sadly. Best of luck to you and yours, it's been a bumpy ride and with this it will only get worse.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Anyone who stands against a $15 minimum hourly wage should be ashamed. Period. Adjusted for inflation, that is still well below what the wage should be based upon the minimum wage in the 1970s. Why should a person not be rewarded for giving a hard days work, a wage that can help them make ends meet, live with dignity, and be free of government assistance. Everyone who argues against this is simply playing right into the hands of the wealthy who want everything. That's absurd, and it's got to end. America, along with its wealthy, benefit from a large, robust middle class. That's a fact, Jack.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

I recommend keeping your money in a national bank in another state to get around a unlawful exit tax.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: tabularosa

Because it further devalues the dollar. In 1973 when the Gold Standard ended in the US, minimum wage was $1.60 per hour or $64 per 40 hour week. Or 1.83 ounces of gold. You would need to make $60.83 per hour to buy the same gold at the end of the same 40 hour week.

The penny candy isn’t quite a dollar yet, but it is getting there.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on 21-2-2019 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Thank God that trump is lowering the national debt and with it the accompanied inflationary spiral.

wait....

www.nationalaffairs.com...
edit on 21-2-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults
No, your looking at it the wrong way.
A peon works for a $1, the employer dictates he is a peon and will only pay him $1 cos he's stupid and uneducated. The CEO say gets $10 and the management has to offer more to get the sh## cleaned up. Say they have to offer $10 for the work, now the question is would they employ the peon (who normally sees to the sh##) at $10?
Now just who dictates the payment for the job. Hint, it aint the peon.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   
and what about the people who are already making $15 an hour? Suddenly the guy cleaning the toilet is making as much as the manager? I’m not sure where they think all this extra money is going to come from.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: toysforadults
No, your looking at it the wrong way.
A peon works for a $1, the employer dictates he is a peon and will only pay him $1 cos he's stupid and uneducated. The CEO say gets $10 and the management has to offer more to get the sh## cleaned up. Say they have to offer $10 for the work, now the question is would they employ the peon (who normally sees to the sh##) at $10?
Now just who dictates the payment for the job. Hint, it aint the peon.

Totally clueless. If no one is willing to work the job doesn't get done the wage goes up

This is real basics here are you totally clueless or just pretending?

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: RS662

Why don't you guys present some actual facts from the 1930s when the first minimum was actually implement in the first place?

Or are you guys afraid of the truth?

Been reading a lot of mistakes information and lielately.

Very very misinformed the right wingers are you guys are suppose to understand the economy so why do you continue to parrot misinformation and lies?

Here's a popular misinformed opinion that's easily easily refuted.

Minimum wage wasn't meant to be a living wage. Oops sorry FDR made several speeches and penned multiple letters on this topic. You guys obviously are I'll informed.

posted on Feb, 21 2019 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: tabularosa

Because it further devalues the dollar. In 1973 when the Gold Standard ended in the US, minimum wage was $1.60 per hour or $64 per 40 hour week. Or 1.83 ounces of gold. You would need to make $60.83 per hour to buy the same gold at the end of the same 40 hour week.

The penny candy isn’t quite a dollar yet, but it is getting there.

Finally. Someone who knows the truth and what the real problem is.

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CeeWhizzle

Why would you continue to employ a lazy or unmotivated worker? Your argument is you think paying 15.00 is to much to pay for an employee that won't work. I agree dont hire them in the first place and hire someone that is worth paying 15.00 an hour.

I think 15.00 is about the minimum a person needs to survive. If your business cant afford to pay your employees 15.00 an hour than your business is not viable and needs to close anyway.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

My lowest paid employee make 10 dollars an hour, so not exactly slave wages. As to your profit point, YES!!! If I don't make a profit, no-one gets paid...

We're a collision repair facility. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats machinery, etc. We also do custom painting and have a used car lot. There are several jobs here that don't warrant more than 10 bucks an hour and the turn-over rate for those positions is mind blowing. Folks think they're worth more than what they provide. If an employee doesn't make me more money than I pay them, then we're all out of a job.

Stop with your "livable wage" crap. There are jobs that you wont be able to retire from.

Have you considered how many more people will be able to afford your services?

If you were in an industry that required you to be able to sell online to buyers outside of Illinois, I could see your point.

But here we are talking about simultaneously raising your operating costs, and raising demand for your products. You'll be able to raise your prices to capture that demand (and/or simply make more sales at the old price, whichever you choose.)

Another point, my friend from high school is still a dishwasher in the restaurant he worked at in high school. Mind you, we are in our 40's. You honestly think he deserves a living wage? Maybe a plaque for his dedication, but certainly not a living wage. He's a friggen dishwasher!!!

You're starting to sound pretty high and mighty. (Losing a lot of sympathy here.)

He could have had any number of reasons for this. It could be he smoked too much pot. Or it could be he had somebody he needed to support, and couldn't take time off for college.

Wanting everyone to simply die because you think you are better than them reminds me of a whole bunch of people who used to prance around Germany in fancy leather jackets and make silly hand gestures. Different basis. Same basic idea. Get rid of the undesireables at all costs.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
For menial jobs in my business, I get interns or apprentices, and I don't pay them. The state pays me for giving them training.

The system favors businesses that have something to offer in the way of on the job training. Don't whine if you are to ignorant or lazy to maneuver in the structure that actually supports small business and entrepreneurs.

Im sure they are just lined up out the door to work an apprenticeship sweeping floors right?

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I think a lot of business owners just get tired of having to work at it to make a profit. Or keep taking risks, even after they've built up to something.

On the surface, lowering wages looks like a nice, low risk way to boost profits by saving on an expense.

But if you take that to the macro economic level, it's actually the highest risk option of them all, because if everyone pays their workers less then that dries up demand, so the volume/price you're selling now won't happen anymore. (Which will make the business owners think they need to lower wages even more, thereby further reducing demand, thereby making them want to lower wages still more........... etc... etc... a classic feedback effect.)

In an automated economy, the average/median worker needs to make a wage where they can purchase necessities using a portion of their income equal to the percentage of the workforce that is needed to provide necessities. IE, if 20% of the workforce can produce enough necessities for the whole population, then your average worker needs to be making enough to afford necessities with 20% of their income.

If the median wage gets below that value, the economy is producing less than its maximum capacity, and there will be unemployment. If it goes above that value, there will be inflation.

Goldilocks is how you get the gold.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: bloodymarvelous

Larger business pay low wages and they make up the lions share of business

It's just a fact that 50% of people make 15 an hour or less and something like 60-70% of people make 20 or less

That's pretty #ty pay. Imagine raising 2 kids on 20 an hour?

That's like telling 70% of the population that they shouldn't worry about having kids.

How's that for the most amazing economy ever

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 04:24 AM
link   
If any of you cared to make an actual argument against minimum wage heres what you would if you weren't lazy L-A-Z-Y

Prior to minimum wage. 1920s.

Post minimum wage use 1960 when the purchasing power of minimum wage was equal to nearly 2k a week right now.

Go ahead.... make a real argument conservatives. I dare you to actually back all your bull# up
edit on 1-3-2019 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The common mindset I've encountered is 'Minimum wage, minimum effort'. I think it unlikely, with workers who already have that attitude, that increasing the hourly rate will increase productivity.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: timski

higher wages directly lead to more productivity and higher quality candidates don't kid yourself, people work harder for more money it's a fact

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join