It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hellinois minimum wage goes to 15 dollars an hour

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Why is everyone making financial arguments without presenting real data I mean it's one of the most tracked things in history

Everyone just repeats the same garbage and rare if ever present an actual argument based on data

Everyone in this thread is just making it up as they go along repeating something that sounds good to them

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

why don't you bring some of this data?

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I do.

I create threads specifically to back my market based assertions. I'm good at it.

Where's yours?

edit on 20-2-2019 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   
The solution to all this, is everyone stops working at the same time on the same day all over the world!

The banks and bailiffs wouldn't be able to throw everyone out into the streets and it may force their hand to give everyone 1 million pounds into their accounts because after all... money does grow on trees!

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   

jobs worth what people are willing to work for not what you are willing to pay, I bet the right wingers hate it when they see people using their best leverage (hint: their work is a great leverage point)

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

No, I don't charge 100 dollars an hour and I pay my employees quite well.

As I said previously, the insurance industry dictates what I can charge. I pay my porters well above minimum because they're a valuable asset. However, that is a job that I can't charge for, meaning, I can't recoup that money. At 15 dollars an hour, that job will be eliminated. It's not being greedy, it's common sense.

The entire point of my thread was to show how crippling 15 an hour will be to small businesses. You know, the back bone of America.

As for my dishwasher friend, do you seriously think the diner he works for can pay that? What do you think a meal will cost when the kitchen staff starts getting paid double what they are now?

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: KawRider9

I own a small corporation and there are some menial jobs that just don't warrant 15 dollars an hour.

So, let me get this right... your pissed cause you think you should have the right to make a profit by paying people slave labour 3rd world wages?

I personally think if you own a business that can't afford to pay a livable wage to employees, then you had an inferior business model in the first place.

Nobody should make a "living wage" sweeping floors, bagging groceries, or flipping burgers. Those are jobs for kids and former criminals; maybe somebody looking to pick up some extra cash too.

If you're in your 30s or 40s and trying to support a family by working at McDonald's, you done effed up somewhere and I don't want to pay for your poor choices. Get a trade or work in the oil fields.

I am in the U.S. Army Reserve, a paramedic on an ambulance, and an on-call firefighter. I'm looking to pick up another useful trade here soon like electrician or plumber to make myself more useful to my community.

Quit yer bellyachin'!

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
The solution to all this, is everyone stops working at the same time on the same day all over the world!

The banks and bailiffs wouldn't be able to throw everyone out into the streets and it may force their hand to give everyone 1 million pounds into their accounts because after all... money does grow on trees!

What will that money be worth then? It's dilution of the money supply and we already have too much. Prices will just continue to raise until we have hyperinflation like in Zimbabwe or Venezuela.

Try this, if numbers and basic econmic theory are too complicated. Let's say you buy 500 ml of your favorite fruity beverage for 1 schmeckel. Add 1.5 L of water to the beverage. Do you think you'll be able to sell it now for 4 schmeckels because you have four times as much as you did before? Or do you think you just wasted the 500 ml you had because now it tastes nasty?

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

ok bass, Imagine for a sec you work for a metal fabrication company, you've worked there for 12 years.. Worked your ass off to get to 18.52 an hour which isn't much but is the most I've worked for. Picture hot factory in summer, sweeating my ass off making a living, next I know this dude/dudette will make 3 dollars or so less. #that.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

What shocks me is im lucky to get 4% increase in my remuneration, which is usually enough to cover increases in my overall cost of living. They are giving away 12% year-over-year. I think we all need a raise.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Why is everyone making financial arguments without presenting real data I mean it's one of the most tracked things in history

Everyone just repeats the same garbage and rare if ever present an actual argument based on data

Everyone in this thread is just making it up as they go along repeating something that sounds good to them

Wrong, I told everyone to look on indeed - actual data
I pretty much said if people want to better themselves (in Chicago) they can, but many people refuse to just
try for a different job, take a harder job etc. The jobs are there.

Here it is
www.indeed.com...
Look up chicago and entry level jobs. Start perusing and tell me what you see.

48K job openings, many for more than 15

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   

How much does a big mac combo cost you there? This could be interesting, if the employees are making that kind of bank working at McD's and they are still making huge profits.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

Do some research on how many Walmart employees are actually having to get food stamps and other government handouts to survive and please try again.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Great, we'll be shelling out a bailout package for this state in a few years.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: toysforadults

Wrong, I told everyone to look on indeed - actual data
I pretty much said if people want to better themselves (in Chicago) they can, but many people refuse to just
try for a different job, take a harder job etc. The jobs are there.

Here it is
www.indeed.com...
Look up chicago and entry level jobs. Start perusing and tell me what you see.

48K job openings, many for more than 15

Truth. Where I'm from in PA, the textile plant my dad worked at closed after he had worked there for over 20 years. He had no degree, no other skills, and no resume. He went through 4 different jobs within a few months before he finally found one he liked and stayed at. Meanwhile, people I went through school with and had college degrees were telling me how much that area was devastated by the financial crisis and how there were no jobs there, which was obviously not true. My dad got 5 different jobs no problem. I actually went through the trouble of finding a job for one of my friends, and when I told her about it she said "I don't want to do that" and just kept collecting unemployment and living with her parents. This was a good 8, 9 years ago.

Today, my dad is at the same place, approaching retirement age. There's a handful of steady workers and a revolving door of young people that start and then quit in less than a week. Many of them don't even finish the first day because it's "too hard." They show up late, hung over, or stoned. They go out and smoke up in the parking lot on lunch breaks instead of eating and then wonder why they're miserable in the afternoon and keep #ing everything up. They get caught smoking in the bathrooms or fail drug tests and get fired.

And it's not a bad place to work. It starts at $10/hr, which in that area is actually decent money because cost-of-living is low. They also have an incentive program where if you produce over a certain amount, you earn a higher wage. My dad nearing 60 hits his incentive mark most weeks, but these young people mostly miss it because they won't work hard enough. You start with a week of PAID vacation and can eventually earn 2 or 3 once you've been there long enough. They have a reasonable insurance copay, 3 paid sick days a year, and they give monthly attendance bonuses if you don't miss a day, as well as a Christmas bonus once you've been there I think a year.

These people don't WANT to work. They want to collect a check for doing virtually nothing. I'm sorry, you don't deserve my tax dollars. Social safety nets aren't meant to support these kinds of people. There are young people who have a good work ethic but the scum I've described here are dragging down their generation.
edit on 20 2 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: WalterTilley

How much does a big mac combo cost you there? This could be interesting, if the employees are making that kind of bank working at McD's and they are still making huge profits.

A large Big Mac meal costs $10.65AU in Australia, which is about $7.64US.

Of course they do have a lot of teenagers working their who only earn youth wages, which is obviously less than the adult minimum.

But even at Maccas they couldn't just employee a bunch of 15 year olds with little experience... there's always got to be at least a few experienced adults to coordinate and keep the operation running smoothly and those adults deserve a wage that doesn't amount to full blown exploitation.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Has no body looked at the turnover of McDonalds before they spout on about $15 wages and the cost og their burgers.
2017 returns $4.7 billion wage bill ( that includes the ceos). Takings $27.4 billion. Now anyone answer me this, why don,t they pay their burger flippers more? Why do they charge so much for their products?
WHY? Because they can. They have the power to pay what they want and charge what they want. It's called business, better known as greed.
It' the job that dictates the money not the person. Example, you have an ex Mexican peon cleaning your toilet for $1 an hour, cos it's a low mark menial job. But he stops doing it and the sh## starts to pile up. It gets up to your ankles and no one want to clean up for $1 an hour. It gets up to your knees, now just how much are you willing to shell out when everybody wont do it for $1.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: WalterTilley

But even at Maccas they couldn't just employee a bunch of 15 year olds with little experience... there's always got to be at least a few experienced adults to coordinate and keep the operation running smoothly and those adults deserve a wage that doesn't amount to full blown exploitation.

That would be a good point if that's what people were advocating for. That's not what people are advocating for though. Of course a manager or shift supervisor should be paid a higher wage than the low/no-skill laborers. What they're advocating for is for low/no-skill laborers to make $15 an hour. Then you have to pay the supervisors even more than that. The ONLY way that is gonna happen in many businesses is if some people lose their jobs. It happens everywhere they try this. It's not theory, it's not gloom and doom predictions from the rich right just trying to screw people, it's simple economics. Wal Mart and Amazon do not make up the bulk of the US economy. Most of the US economy is still small businesses with very slim profit margins. # like this will, in most cases, either force them to shrink their labor force, costing people jobs, or it will drive them out of business completely, costing even more jobs.

No thanks.

This is just about one state, but those arguing for this on a national level in the US are even more uninformed. A national minimum wage for a country as diverse as the US makes no sense at all. There are drastically different cost of living factors in different states, and even in different areas within the same state. What I live on comfortably in Pennsylvania, I'd never be able to support myself on in New Jersey, California, Alaska or Hawaii. Wages should be regulated at most at the state level, based on the local cost of living. Nationalizing it is one reason why it's so low nation-wide. Businesses in Mississippi simply couldn't afford to pay the kind of wage you'd need to live on in California.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

AI will take over by 2025 so dont worry too much. Plus if dems get in im sure it will be changed before then 🤷‍♂️

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

You are wrong.

The individual dictates the pay not the job.

That's why unions work. If no one is willing to work for such a # wage guess what.. you have to raise your wages

It's called supply and demand

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join