It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hellinois minimum wage goes to 15 dollars an hour

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

thehill.com...

My first mud-pit thread...

Well, our newest Governor has passed a bill raising minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour. It's not all that shocking considering Hellinois is a heavily Blue State. What shocks me, is the fact that he did this with the rate our citizens and businesses are fleeing this $hithole!

The state's minimum wage is currently $8.25 an hour. It will rise to $9.25 an hour on Jan. 1, 2020 then to $10 an hour that July. After that the minimum wage will increase by $1 each year until 2025.

This will cripple small businesses. I own a small corporation and there are some menial jobs that just don't warrant 15 dollars an hour. I know everyone(most) want a living wage for their time spent at work, however, time spent at work doesn't equal working. There are far to many lazy employees that do the very minimal they can get away with.

The cost of products are going to skyrocket! Small businesses will be forced to close. You're going to see mass layoffs and automation.

I've been preparing for this for a few years now. My shop is paid off and my house is damn near paid off. Both of which are for sale. I gotta get outta this $hithole before it goes belly up. I've heard rumors of our new Governor talking about an exit tax. Welcome to Hellinos, where we put a tax on taxes!

This is the most idiotic idea to pass when our State is damn near bankrupt and our citizens and businesses are fleeing from this corruption.

Have I mentioned how much I hate this $hithole State?

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

So a year from now there will be nobody living in poverty in Illinois.
A living wage for everyone working in the state.

Good for them, let's see how this all works out.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Wow!

If you go by percentage, like raises usually do, that's an 11% raise followed by an 8% raise the same year.

After that it's yearly raises to the tune of
10%
9%
8%
7.5%
7%
And finally 6.5%

Wow, again!!

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: tjack

A raise is usually merit based... this is the reverse of that.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Exit tax already happening in some places! 5 bucks for every 1K, CRAZY!
So they don't even want people to move within the state. CRAZY

wqad.com...

The city of Evanston now charges a higher transfer tax, sometimes referred to as an “exit tax,” on property sold for more than $1.5 million. Properties that sell for more than $1.5 million come with a transfer tax of $5 per $1,000 of sale price. A referendum voters approved raises that to $7 per $1,000 of sale price. For properties that sell for more than $5 million, the transfer tax will now be $9 per $1,000 of sale price.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

I own a small corporation and there are some menial jobs that just don't warrant 15 dollars an hour.

So, let me get this right... your pissed cause you think you should have the right to make a profit by paying people slave labour 3rd world wages?

I personally think if you own a business that can't afford to pay a livable wage to employees, then you had an inferior business model in the first place.

link   

Not sure if you've read this site, it is spot on.

CHICAGO ANTICIPATED TO BE NATION’S WEAKEST MAJOR HOUSING MARKET IN 2019
A report released Nov. 27 by realtor.com forecasts the Chicago-Naperville-Elgin Metropolitan Area will experience the worst housing market slowdown among 100 of the nation’s metropolitan areas in 2019.

www.illinoispolicy.org...

link   

Thanks for being the guinea pig?
How are there no exemptions for small businesses?

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
And the biggest winner is the tax man.

The more you make. The more you pay.

That is if there are any business's still standing after this snip.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I can't wait to see them all complaining about inflation rates and why everything costs so much more, but alas, "they make more money", however it didn't make any difference in the end hahahahahah
- I love watching the world burn itself.

The same thing happened where I live in Canada. Minimum wage was at $9.50 or so.. They raised it to $10.11 and then overnight the prices of movie tickets, food at groceries, basic necessities that can be found at any establishment that minimum wage workers are employed and needed, alllll went up by a good 8-12%. Everyone who was a minimum wage worker got furious. Mindless morons.
edit on 19-2-2019 by CeeWhizzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Err, yeah, ok, that's obvious, but it's still a stunning amount of increase in a short time. I'd LOVE it if that was what my next 8 raises looked like!!
I'd buy ATS a round! (God knows we need it!!)

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   
For menial jobs in my business, I get interns or apprentices, and I don't pay them. The state pays me for giving them training.

The system favors businesses that have something to offer in the way of on the job training. Don't whine if you are to ignorant or lazy to maneuver in the structure that actually supports small business and entrepreneurs.

edit on 19-2-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

People are already getting paid a liveable wage.

Employers are paying half of your ss,and medicare contributions, your workmans/unemployment insurance.

And are now being forced to shell out even more $$.

All the while trying to compete with other business's, and foreign suppliers, and the devaluation of $$, and operating expense's.

AND TAXES.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I own a small corporation and there are some menial jobs that just don't warrant 15 dollars an hour.

So, let me get this right... your pissed cause you think you should have the right to make a profit by paying people slave labour 3rd world wages?

I personally think if you own a business that can't afford to pay a livable wage to employees, then you had an inferior business model in the first place.

Hey, if I were a business owner, I would not pay someone more than they are worth. Plain and simple. If they are a lazy, unmotivated worker then they get the basics (minimum wage or just above, depending on position and skill required).

This whole "raise minimum wage" sh*t won't solve anything and it never does. Its the giant inflation bubble that's about to burst is what's to blame. Raising minimum wage just puts those people back to where they were again due to all other costs associated with employing a minimum wage worker for 25-30% more than they are worth. If anything, raising minimum wage to $15/hr + will just have all businesses employing robots instead.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Its okay they want us to buy everything from Amazon anyways.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Guarantee you have never owned a business.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
this is over the next 6 years...

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

time to adjust your 'profit' margins.

when i was growing up, you could be a janitor and pay rent.
now you need to be a janitor AND work 20 hours MORE at walmart.

if you have a problem with it, blame walmart and target for importing cheap illegal workers who are willing to work 5 bucks an hour, which have created this crisis.

if you cannot surive paying a proper wage, then your business was never meant to succeed.

not dissing, but thats the way it should be.

ever see the film HOFFA?

we need to strengthen the middle class. if we can get rid of the illegals, then prices would fix themselves, like they were before the 80s.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

And over the next 6 years, the cost of living will go up equally, if not higher with the raise. Therefor, it's a waste of effort and time.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CeeWhizzle

exactly, by the time 15 hits, the cost to pay rent at a 40 hour work week will probably be 18 dollars an hour. walmart and target will make sure of this, so they can get the additional 20 hours per week for pennies on the dollar.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join