It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't Trump Take a Joke.

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Lol, it's amazing how you guys are like a hive mind, you're told he's upset that someone made fun of him so you latch onto that. That's obviously not the case. SNL takes shots at him and mocks him nearly every weekend, only on rare occasions does he comment. In this case, if you read his tweet and understand it, he's saying it's not even humor anymore it's just hit jobs and he's right. Case and point:

In 8 years they talked about obama exactly 21 times (less than three times per year). Many of those times were not mocking obama and in fact made him out to be "cool." Here's a link to them.

I watched the first six segments featuring an obama "hit" by SNL (as early as 09, as late as 2015).
Here's what happened in them:
1) Obama gave a boring speech
2) Michelle got mad at him for eating a sandwich
3) Obama making fun of boehner, pretending to be his friend
4) Catherine Sebelius explains the obamacare website disaster (no obama in this one)
5) Obama and mitch mcconnell prank call hillary, mitch becomes racist, obama cries
6) Obama makes fun of republicans and turns into a super hero (the rock obama)

In 2017 alone, they did hit jobs on trump 11 times (that's more than obama's entire first term) and all but a few were more vitriolic than humorous. Trump's tweet came after they mocked a national emergency declaration. Show me where they mocked official events of obama? Or even bush, or bill clinton for that matter (they may have, I just don't remember). I know they never really mocked obama.Take a look at your own example (the rock obama) did obama have a bad temper? I don't remember that every being a real thing. Hillary had a bad temper, we know that, but I've never heard it contended that obama was a hot head. So were they really mocking him?

Furthermore hes' right. Their ratings are poor.They're on track for their worst season in 20 years. It's not funny, it's lame and unoriginal. Like I said in the other thread about this, I like alec baldwin as trump, I think he does a good caricature. But other than his caricature, the writing and content of what they're making fun of are not really good.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: narrator

It's important to point out a huge number of flaws in this example.
1) It was in a private meeting. He wasn't telling haitians or the world that haiti was a #hole.
2) You're relying on dubious actors to believe he even said this
3) You're discounting the other people in the room who dispute that this was said
4) No one would be calling for war if merkel called america a #hole. Would you? I couldn't care less
5) He has achieved many international "matters of importance" with no problem
6) You prefer the president of a country call the country a #hole? But if he called your house a #hole, thems fightin' words? You realize you are a part of this country, right? The riff raff that would make it #hole, right?

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: network dude

a reply to: JFA13

But, SNL does not portray Trump in the same light that they did with other POTUS of the past.

I disagree, I think Bush got it just as bad.

Here is where you can either look like a hero, or a zero. Show how many times SNL ragged on Bush, and how many times they ragged on Trump. With 8 years of Bush and only 2.5 of Trump, it should be a landslide victory for you. If you have the stones.

I think we both know that I am not going to sit and go through the last 18 years worth of SNL skits.

All I am saying is that Will Ferrell ripped into Bush pretty hard, I actually found that funnier than the Baldwin skits of Trump.

This is more like a rap battle, than just making fun of someone. The dynamic is different. Yes, there is humor involved. But, it isn't really comedy in the traditional sense. I would venture to say that Trump is pretty good at it. But, no one since Reagan was even close to being able to compete.

ETA: Most aren't all that sanguine about being roasted back...they are more used to patience and self abnegation from the target. Trump is no Buddhist.
edit on 19-2-2019 by Enderdog because: To add a thought...

Perhaps this will help. Personally, as a Trump supporter, I think this is hilarious.

Epic Rap Battles of History
edit on 19-2-2019 by Enderdog because: Humor is relative...just like everything else...

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: narrator

a reply to: strongfp

He did this to himself. He ran his campaign off calling msm fake news and pushing for one or two over literally everyone else. Maybe if he didnt pick a fight with the media and attempt dismantle it they wouldn't be so zealous to give it right back at him.

I think thats a good answer to the question as to why they take the piss out of him so much, quite a interesting thought as to how different the media would be if he were less about "FAKE NEWS" and my personal favourite "the press are an enemy of the people".

If you think about it though if he would just take a joke as a joke, or even ignore it this wouldn't be as much of an issue I think.

I think that's a key point. If Trump were to just ignore it, it would probably (mostly) go away. Sure, the POTUS is always going to be made fun of. That's part and parcel of the position.

That's the typical response of parents/teachers/etc when someone is bullying a kid. "Just ignore them, if you take it to heart and show them that you're upset, then the bully wins. If you show them that what they're saying doesn't bother you, then the bully has no power and stops because it gets old/boring."
If Trump did exactly that, and stopped lashing out at the media so much, the amount of ridicule would inevitably go down. Don't fuel the fire, and the fire burns out.

Maybe it would go down. But...does anything about Trump, make you think that is what he wants? This is a hearts and minds thingy. He did like, ten seasons of the largest focus group ever assembled on the planet. Plenty of data to figure out what people actually respond to...as opposed to what people say they would respond to.

Do you really believe that him recruiting then firing people is just some haphazard thing?

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   

a reply to: Muninn

That sounds like a you problem, I do hope that you get the proper care for the nasty case of TDS you have,

Anyone else getting really bored of these tired TDS insults.

Come up with some of your own original insults ya big flabby jobby, at least try to be original, perhaps if you spent less time obsessing about each and every post I write you might actually develop some original ideas. I cannot help that you get this triggered every time I post, I wish I could, but I can't, only you can help, by not posting childish rubbish every time you see me write the word "Trump".

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: MadLad

Take for example Harvey Weinstein. He said such great things about actresses, female directors, marched in Woman's March. Is that decent behavior?

If it was sincere and without pretense, sure it's decent behavior.

He's also behaved hideously. Bad people can do good things. Good people can do bad things.

This, in no way, explains what you meant by the "tweet and said" quote.

Ok. My point was that most criticisms of Trump's behavior largely revolve around what he said or tweeted. For instance, him calling Haiti a "sh*thole" (which is a fact), led to worldwide denunciations of him and his administration. But him commuting Alice Marie Johnson's sentance gets...what?

You're playing fast and loose with the word "fact". That is entirely an opinion, since descriptions such as sh*thole aren't rooted in any form of fact.

But I'll repeat myself again, just because someone does something good (pardoning Ms. Johnson), doesn't mean they can't also do bad things. Plenty of people prop him up for the good things. I've stated on several occasions that he's done some great things. But that doesn't mean that he isn't a giant @ss from time to time.

So, why can't I also say he's done and said some sh!^ty things? Why is being critical of Trump such a bad thing?

That's fair, but looking at any of indexes, whether they be of freedom, living standards, violence, GDP, economy, etc. Haiti falls low on all of them. There is massive unrest and uncertainty there right now. You could say it's not a sh*thole, but I'd have to question your motives for doing so.

If your criticisms are warranted, I fully support it. If they aren't, and are mob-derived, I'm going to criticize back. Why is being critical of you guys such a bad thing?

I still don't understand your tweet quote, but I'm just going to drop it since you're dancing around it. Bottom line, he tweets and says some very indecent stuff.

My motive is that it's a pretty crappy thing to say about someone's home, and pretty immature as well. A lot of people love it. The fact that the person who is supposed to represent our country said something so immature is ridiculous to me. Have some tact. Be kind to people who aren't as fortunate as us.

It isn't a bad thing at all, as long as the criticisms are warranted and aren't mob-derived. What's bad is blindly defending the POTUS for literally everything he does, without question. I'm not saying you personally do that, but ATS in general does, and it gets old. There are so many anti-Warren/anti-AOC/anti-Democrat threads on here, but when someone says anything remotely critical of POTUS (or conservatives in general) folks act like we just tried to punch their mother.

It is ok to call out people for their sh*t. No one is immune to that.

He said it in a private meeting. Yet you'll say nothing about the Democrat who ran and leaked a private conversation to the press for political reasons. Have you never swore or said anything untoward in private? Now imagine if someone ratted you out to the press. This is what I mean: you guys police Trump's tweets and speech, but then put on the blinders to actual behavior like the tattle tale who ratted on Trump.

It's the same with the "grab em by the p*ssy" remarks. These remarks were made in private over a decade ago. But the operatives paid to sift through Trump's conversations, leak them to the press in order to make him look bad, get away scott free. These remarks led to the biggest single-day protest in American history. I'll repeat that: no act of violence, injustice, tyranny led to the biggest single-day protest in American history. It was Trumps decades-old, private conversations. This is a glimpse of the priorities you guys are dealing in.

I was honestly thinking that was a public comment because another poster referred to it as a tweet, didn’t realize that it was said in a meeting. Regardless, I expect our leaders to have more tact than that. I mean, he was still in a meeting with government officials, it wasn’t like it was him and a buddy talking over a beer.

The guy who “ratted him out”, a US government meeting isn’t a “snitches get stitches” situation. Again, it’d be one thing if he said this to a friend over a beer and then the friend told the media. He was in a meeting, where he still needs to act presidential.
Was it nice of him? No. But I prefer people to have enough integrity to speak in public the same way they’d speak in private. If you say something bad enough that it needs to stay hidden, why say it?

The grab ‘em quote...there’s audio of him saying it, and what he’s describing doing is sexual assault. It doesn’t matter where or when he said it, that’s messed up.
edit on 19-2-2019 by narrator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 09:57 PM
link   

a reply to: shooterbrody

I would submit trump is 1/1024th scotch,

Do you mean he is 1/1024 Scotsh as in the drink or Scots as in the brave warrior race of superhuman's that also happen to be fantastically good looking and charming yet at the same time hold a certain attractive humble quality that is only dwarfed by their exceptional intellect and witty patter.

Because either way we have a problem.

Pretty sure that joke was about Scots being notoriously cheapskates...

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero

I love that you're just some Brit riling up a bunch of Americans. Donald Trump isn't your president. Get your nose out of where it doesn't belong and stop pouring fuel on a fire like how they count on the sheeple doing

So, the Queen, Pochohantas and a Scotsman walk into a pub...

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

well played!
en.wikipedia.org...

Donald Trump's mother, Mary Anne MacLeod, came from the Hebridean island of Lewis, off the west coast of Scotland.

only 1/1024th tho
lol

I am aware of that unfortunate incident however we had her excommunicated and all records of her birth destroyed at our last hunt of the wee baby haggis...

PS noticed you getting into the Scottish patter quite a bit recently brother

*bairn...wee bairn...you're welcome.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   

a reply to: UKTruth

I prefer politicians to say what ordinary people say.
This whole 'presidential' thing is a nonsense.
It might be 'shocking' to you, but not to everyone, so the issue is yours. All your reactions to what people say are your own responsibility.

I am glad you are defensive of your country, though. Many are not - they want no borders and no control over who enters your country.

It is nonsense. But the argument says a lot. It means any old actor, so long as he speaks nicely and eloquently, is presidential enough for them. The problem is many dictators were very eloquent and very intellectual.

That isn’t what it means at all. I expect the person who represents my country to have eloquence, class, political prowess, have the people’s best interest in mind, and to have enough restraint to know when to shut up.

I fully understand wanting the president to act like a normal person. However, that is your preference, nothing more. Furthermore, there are many different versions of “normal” people, and normal speech.
All I’m saying is that if I’m choosing someone to be the public voice of me and my home, I’m choosing George Clooney over Eminem every single time.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Take for example Harvey Weinstein. He said such great things about actresses, female directors, marched in Woman's March. Is that decent behavior?

He's also behaved hideously. Bad people can do good things. Good people can do bad things.

Ok. My point was that most criticisms of Trump's behavior largely revolve around what he said or tweeted. For instance, him calling Haiti a "sh*thole" (which is a fact), led to worldwide denunciations of him and his administration. But him commuting Alice Marie Johnson's sentance gets...what?

You're playing fast and loose with the word "fact". That is entirely an opinion, since descriptions such as sh*thole aren't rooted in any form of fact.

But I'll repeat myself again, just because someone does something good (pardoning Ms. Johnson), doesn't mean they can't also do bad things. Plenty of people prop him up for the good things. I've stated on several occasions that he's done some great things. But that doesn't mean that he isn't a giant @ss from time to time.

So, why can't I also say he's done and said some sh!^ty things? Why is being critical of Trump such a bad thing?

That's fair, but looking at any of indexes, whether they be of freedom, living standards, violence, GDP, economy, etc. Haiti falls low on all of them. There is massive unrest and uncertainty there right now. You could say it's not a sh*thole, but I'd have to question your motives for doing so.

If your criticisms are warranted, I fully support it. If they aren't, and are mob-derived, I'm going to criticize back. Why is being critical of you guys such a bad thing?

I still don't understand your tweet quote, but I'm just going to drop it since you're dancing around it. Bottom line, he tweets and says some very indecent stuff.

My motive is that it's a pretty crappy thing to say about someone's home, and pretty immature as well. A lot of people love it. The fact that the person who is supposed to represent our country said something so immature is ridiculous to me. Have some tact. Be kind to people who aren't as fortunate as us.

It isn't a bad thing at all, as long as the criticisms are warranted and aren't mob-derived. What's bad is blindly defending the POTUS for literally everything he does, without question. I'm not saying you personally do that, but ATS in general does, and it gets old. There are so many anti-Warren/anti-AOC/anti-Democrat threads on here, but when someone says anything remotely critical of POTUS (or conservatives in general) folks act like we just tried to punch their mother.

It is ok to call out people for their sh*t. No one is immune to that.

He said it in a private meeting. Yet you'll say nothing about the Democrat who ran and leaked a private conversation to the press for political reasons. Have you never swore or said anything untoward in private? Now imagine if someone ratted you out to the press. This is what I mean: you guys police Trump's tweets and speech, but then put on the blinders to actual behavior like the tattle tale who ratted on Trump.

It's the same with the "grab em by the p*ssy" remarks. These remarks were made in private over a decade ago. But the operatives paid to sift through Trump's conversations, leak them to the press in order to make him look bad, get away scott free. These remarks led to the biggest single-day protest in American history. I'll repeat that: no act of violence, injustice, tyranny led to the biggest single-day protest in American history. It was Trumps decades-old, private conversations. This is a glimpse of the priorities you guys are dealing in.

I was honestly thinking that was a public comment because another poster referred to it as a tweet, didn’t realize that it was said in a meeting. Regardless, I expect our leaders to have more tact than that. I mean, he was still in a meeting with government officials, it wasn’t like it was him and a buddy talking over a beer.

The guy who “ratted him out”, a US government meeting isn’t a “snitches get stitches” situation. Again, it’d be one thing if he said this to a friend over a beer and then the friend told the media. He was in a meeting, where he still needs to act presidential.
Was it nice of him? No. But I prefer people to have enough integrity to speak in public the same way they’d speak in private. If you say something bad enough that it needs to stay hidden, why say it?

The grab ‘em quote...there’s audio of him saying it, and what he’s describing doing is sexual assault. It doesn’t matter where or when he said it, that’s messed up.

No, he described a sexual act between two consenting adults, not assault. He did so in private and over a decade ago. But it’s no surprise you’d believe otherwise.

Because itdoesn’t matter what words Trump used in a private meeting, or decades ago in the past, because they only told you the ones they wanted you to know about, while the rest, including the context, you and I remain ignorant to.

What matters is that this little piece of political sabotage was used to make the president look bad, to cast doubt, to ignite the fantasies of all who ran with it. The term “useful idiots” come to mind. It had its desired effect.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows the Clinton Foundation administered 5 billion dollars to fix Haiti. It's literally a paradise!

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I'll keep this short. I love humor, even humor at my expense. Trump is a different story. You see...he has been attacked, violently yet verbally from day one about his hair, weight, clothes, food, drink, wife, kids, etc., etc., etc. And I would say very unfairly. So...yes...he is likely a bit defensive.

But the real story is that there are so many individuals in the news and other places waiting like wolves staring at an injured deer...waiting for it to trip, stumble or fall. Blood thirsty and ready to pounce, Trump is correct in assuming that he has to watch every single word and action to avoid feeding these enemies. And yes...they are enemies.

While I bet Trump actually has a great sense of humor, I would guess he can not let much of it show. I've seen him joke about his own hair, weight and other politicians problems so there is humor. And if allowed...off the record...off the camera and among real friends, he could probably throw out a slightly off-color joke that would have the room roaring. Yes...off-color jokes are still a thing...still around and still as funny (if not funnier) as ever.

So...Trump defends himself and his family as a man should...he doesn't let his guard down to be attacked yet is still attacked. There's your story. Nothing amazing or special. Just the logical actions of a target of the leftist media, Hollywood and the other minions of the Democrats.

In other words...bullies.
edit on 20-2-2019 by QuittingHeaven because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Quite interesting reading through the replies from over night am not going to reply to everyone but there are some interesting themes that I find rather interesting.

There are a few members making good points as to why he can't take a joke, for instance his background, his inability to take criticism, and yeah I even think that the folk saying that the amount of criticism he takes from the press might make it more difficult for him to take a joke. So yeah some really good points being made but also as expected some of you seem to want to argue about totally different issues. This thread is not about how funny SNL is or is not, its not about previous presidents ability to be laughed it, its a very simple question, why can't Trump take a joke.

What I find really wired (indeed almost sad) is how some members supporting Trump are actually painting him as the victim of bullies. It's an almost laughable line of defence that Trump is being bullied, they made some jokes about his small hands and now the President is some poor victim of the big bad bullies at SNL.

It's also striking how some of you just completely fail to level any kind of criticism at Trump. Saying Trump can't take a joke is not exactly some huge criticism its really just an observation followed up by a question as to why he can't take a joke but they way some of you are replying to this thread I might as well have made the title "Why is Trump the Son of Satan and killing puppies?". Some of you are just so defensive on any kind of criticism levelled at Trump that its kind of undermines your position because I honestly do believe that some of you will defend the tool no matter what he does.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Trump supporters hear jokes and negative publicly every day.

If anyone can take a joke its trump.

Especially since he has received levels of opposition like never seen

90% of hollyweird work against him
99% of the media work against him

These president bashers are so out of touch that they dont understand it makes them and their country look weak.

Orange man huh....for decades liberals and the p.c. tell us how you could never comment on skin color.
You cannot Make comparisons to someone's skin color.

Imagine any other race and people making fun of their skin color.......the double standards are ridiculous.

The media went to great lengths to not show Obama talking freely while puffing down on a Newport.

Because both sides knew it would make the president and the country look ghetto.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

Orange man huh....for decades liberals and the p.c. tell us how you could never comment on skin color.

Are you trying to tell us now that Trumps brand of fake tan or whatever chemicals that have lead to the national emergency that is his face is now somehow a race?

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   

to be fair the day we stop taking the piss out of our elected officials we are in trouble !

and the day we allow our elected officials the opportunity , they will shut it down because its anti government.

No one should be safe from parody/ satire !

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Quite interesting reading through the replies from over night am not going to reply to everyone but there are some interesting themes that I find rather interesting.

There are a few members making good points as to why he can't take a joke, for instance his background, his inability to take criticism, and yeah I even think that the folk saying that the amount of criticism he takes from the press might make it more difficult for him to take a joke. So yeah some really good points being made but also as expected some of you seem to want to argue about totally different issues. This thread is not about how funny SNL is or is not, its not about previous presidents ability to be laughed it, its a very simple question, why can't Trump take a joke.

What I find really wired (indeed almost sad) is how some members supporting Trump are actually painting him as the victim of bullies. It's an almost laughable line of defence that Trump is being bullied, they made some jokes about his small hands and now the President is some poor victim of the big bad bullies at SNL.

It's also striking how some of you just completely fail to level any kind of criticism at Trump. Saying Trump can't take a joke is not exactly some huge criticism its really just an observation followed up by a question as to why he can't take a joke but they way some of you are replying to this thread I might as well have made the title "Why is Trump the Son of Satan and killing puppies?". Some of you are just so defensive on any kind of criticism levelled at Trump that its kind of undermines your position because I honestly do believe that some of you will defend the tool no matter what he does.

It has absolutely gotten to bullying.

Never in my life have I seen the level of opposition trump receives.
95% of hollyweird work against him
90% of the media
90% of college professors and educators

There is no comparison to the level of opposition

Many times the right wing media wanted to show video of Obama sucking down a Newport while talking freely.
It would have been a shocker for many...

But instead of making the country and president look weak/ghetto. They took the higher ground and choose not to show it.

The biggest joke is that BLM. Antifa, LGBTQ, illegal aliens, muslims, hollyweird and the media are the ones making the jokes . Are the ones who show up in droves to vote blue.

When in reality the joke is on them,

The normal world laughs at them....

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   

a reply to: Bloodworth

Are you trying to tell us now that Trumps brand of fake tan or whatever chemicals that have lead to the national emergency that is his face is now somehow a race?

Many races try and lighten and darken their skin.
I was always told no matter what the case you never comment on someone's skin color.

You never make a comparison about a persons skin color, especially a non white person.

This just goes to show more of do as we say, not as we do .

If Obama lightened his skin and the people at snl wanted to make a joke about it. They would right away call it in appropriate and not pursue the script.
Lots of things the media and people can get away with. Because trump is a white male.

Just like the moderation of websites.
There are up to 50 words that can get you banned if you use them in relation to a person of color or certain religions

There are zero words that will get you banned in relation to white people or christianity.

Huge double standard

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

to be fair the day we stop taking the piss out of our elected officials we are in trouble !

and the day we allow our elected officials the opportunity , they will shut it down because its anti government.

No one should be safe from parody/ satire !

Some of our more right-leaning Trump supporting members don't seem to understand that though...

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join