It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Destructive Mega-River Forms Quickly 37 Miles wide 100 miles long, N Australia 6ft of Rain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth
Yes 1.257 is a lot in a shortish time , i guess its all down to how quickly it drains away . I remember when living in Darwin there was a meter of water over one of the main roads ( Bagot rd ) and a half hour or so later it was drained .

Tully has an average rainfall exceeding 4 metres. They hold the record for the highest ever annual rainfall in a populated area of Australia (7.93 metres in 1950).

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Bagot Road? Hahahaha. Hey mate. When were you in Darwin?

I spent years up there. Loved the wet and the dry.

I know Bagot road well, and the crocs. On topic, I'm south of the Qld posters. Northern Rivers. Very dry at present. Spent a couple of hours pumping from the dam today. Getting low. Trying to save the gardens. Will buy a load of house water in the next two weeks.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Was up there from late 2008 til early 2010 . Lived on Ellengowan in Nakara . Nearly every friday night i was fishing off Stokes Hill wharf , caught barra and GTs of there believe it or not . Got smoked a couple of times as well . Where else in the worl would you catch iconic fish like that a K or so from the city centre .

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

That'd be Lake Eyre in South Oz. Most of the time it's a dry lake bed but the rare times when a cyclonic depression crosses the centre of the continent a lot of rain can fall in the desert filling the lake. It's actually below sea level so that water has to evaporate but that doesn't take very long in that sort of country.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Was up there from late 2008 til early 2010 . Lived on Ellengowan in Nakara . Nearly every friday night i was fishing off Stokes Hill wharf , caught barra and GTs of there believe it or not . Got smoked a couple of times as well . Where else in the worl would you catch iconic fish like that a K or so from the city centre .

Mackay local here. Funny you should mention Barra, last night we speared two beauties off the duck board of a boat moored in the marina. Measures 1.1 and 1.2 m. We just hung an Led light in the water and waited for them to come to us.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Okay. May have passed by you once or twice. Used to cruise past Stokes during those years on my way further out to wet a line.

Had good feeds on Stokes many times. Worked at Berrimah up to my retirement. Spent sometime over those years working in Arnhem Land. Ramingining, Millingimbi etc. Great fishing. Not bragging but got sick of catching Barra. Enjoyed the big muddies better.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat

Mackay local here. Funny you should mention Barra, last night we speared two beauties off the duck board of a boat moored in the marina. Measures 1.1 and 1.2 m. We just hung an Led light in the water and waited for them to come to us.

That's the way. Nice Barra. Quick and easy feed.

bally

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

1.2 meters is a fair barra . can you spear them there , i know in the territory you can only do that if your indigenous or maybe spearing undersize fish , honestly dont remember .
Remember now , they could take undersize fish using traditional methods . Got an invite out from one of the lads to go spearing but for some reason never got around to it .
edit on 18-2-2019 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Not bragging but got sick of catching Barra.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:41 AM
link   

1.2 meters is a fair barra . can you spear them there , i know in the territory you can only do that if your indigenous or maybe spearing undersize fish , honestly dont remember .

You know, I'm not really sure if it's legal or not... I'm normally a rod and reel sort of bloke. But we'd had a few rums and just couldn't pass up the opportunity. There was actually about a dozen of them circling the light and we picked the two smallest believe it or not...

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Lol. Mate,,,applause.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:52 AM
link   

You are allowed to spear in NT. Any sort of fish as long as you don't go over your catch limit. (2) When I was then the minimum was a 55cm Barra.

My best catch was a croc. That's not legal but the 'locals' took it anyway. It was their land. (permission given).

Kind regards,

bally.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Not bragging but got sick of catching Barra.

I just wanna catch a 30lb Snapper. And, eat it.

Kind regards,

bally

edit on 18-2-2019 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Yes had to think about it for a bit , Indigenous lad i worked with used to go out spearing a bit . He gave me an invite to go out but not others in the workplace and when i asked him why he basically said , you talk to me all the time these others only talk if they think they can get something out of it .. The offer to go out came about the time my family finally got up there so perhaps that's why i didn't take him up on the offer . One of many life regrets i suppose .

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Then why not do the research,it did happen it is shown right to your face,what the hell are you millenium blind as well

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Here's a vid for you mate . The owner of the charter holds the record for snapper 44 pounds . Know the guy quite well . My best is only 18 pounds but i usually dont target them .

top topics

<< 1   >>

join