It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activision CEO My goal was to take all the fun out of making video games

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 02:45 AM
link   

During a 45-minute presentation today at the Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference in San Francisco, Activision Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick covered a substantial amount of ground. For one, the executive explained how he expects Activision games--specifically Guitar Hero--to bypass consoles altogether. The executive also showed off animation technology he hailed as the future of storytelling in games, pegged the next generation of consoles as being two years out or more, and explained openly why he wants a company culture infused with skepticism, pessimism, and fear.

"We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

And now we get soulless cash grabs.

I am ready for all the big triple A guys to die, you keep producing dog #, you expect to always beat the last quarters profits.

Sadly you don't understand gamers all that much.

It's ok, keep making # games, others will take your place, just like in the past.

Congrats, I literally avoid EA and Activision.

No game is worth your BS you bring to them.

Article
edit on 17-2-2019 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I’ve been boycotting activision for many years...
Last thing I bought from EA was mass effect andromeda when it was heavily discounted and boy was I disappointed.

Best game activision ever made was soldier of fortune. Played it when I was 8-10 years old. It was great..
They also made Blur, which was a great split-screen experience.

The only AAA developer I still trust is CD Projekt Red.
Been playing far cry 5 recently and I think it’s great, sadly it’s successor is another cash-grab

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

SoF...

Man that was a great game!

As for CD Projekt Red, I can't wait for Cyberpunk!

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Amen to that, upcoming developers really need to go the self publishing route like CDPR.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 03:59 AM
link   
In PC game selection , I guess you could say I "collude with ex-Soviet Union and ex-Warsaw Pact Countries"
Just got one from Russia
AtomRPG
Great , if you liked games like Fallout 1 and 2

Looks like they put the fun back into producing games..

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Bobby is just one of the problems the gaming industry has but his attitude represents the biggest problem with the industry, publishers !
The cash grab culture is killing gaming and will likely lead to the next gaming crash as people become bored with the gruel they're being fed.

Game Workers Unite started the hashtag #FireBobbyKotick and a petition that accuses Kotick of ‘upending 800 workers’ lives while raking in millions in bonuses’.

‘Bobby Kotick has been raking in $30 million dollars a year as Activision CEO, that massive income doesn’t come from nowhere’, reads the petition. ‘It comes from the labour of his employees. Kotick’s wealth is built from the stolen wages of his workers.’
metro.co.uk...

Cut the dead wood !

CDPR for the win.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   

It's so cute. This guy thinks he has a future in gaming!

Can't wait to see him on a 'where are they now' clip.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

It's so cute. This guy thinks he has a future in gaming!

Can't wait to see him on a 'where are they now' clip.

So long as people purchase DLC...

He will always have a future in gaming.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I wish there was a community were people can team up and make side game projects with different genres or mixed in

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 05:07 AM
link   
A lot of these bigger companies seem to be shooting themselves in the foot.

“And we don’t take any flak,” Soderlund concluded. “We stand up for the cause because I think those people who don’t understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don’t buy the game. I’m fine with either or. It’s just not ok.”

EA's chief creative officer Patrick Soderlund, after getting backlash for revealing Battlefield V's social justice re-write of world war 2, including a disabled woman in the trailer, a big sign at the trailer reveal saying #EVERYONESBATTLEFIELD with some sarcastic smaller tags like:
"WHITE MEN! WHITE MEN! WHITE MEN!"
"FEMINAZIES ARE TRYING TO REWRITE HISTORY"
"WHAT THE F##K WAS THE DEVELOPERS THINKING"
"GENDERFIELD 5!"

Well suck it up, your games physical sales were down 63% compared to Battlefield 1 and you had to revise your 2019 projected earnings because of it. Coupled with their terrible practice of locking content behind further paywalls this company is going in the gutter. Just google "EA Stock" and click on the 1 year view.

Activision and EA can go away now, the industry will be fine without them.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Same here,
I hope other companies look at Rockstar and CD and see the bar is now set too high for them to continue dumping out half made crap.
It rattles me to the core that DICE got taken over by those slobs at EA.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I'm excited to see what THQ Nordic has up their sleeve. They have been running around and snagging up some great IP's that have been dormant for a while.

More specifically, I'm interested in what they are going to do with Kingdom's of Amalur. This was an great game and would love a, best case scenario, a sequel or, worst case, a remastered re-release on current gen consoles. SOMETHING, ANYTHING, from this IP would be welcome in my book.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Ever since Mass Effect 3 Activision can suck my dick

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Best game activision ever made was soldier of fortune. Played it when I was 8-10 years old. It was great..

Wow, I haven't thought about that game in a while.

What a good one.

It was very innovative that you would get money based off of kills to get better guns. Making the game title itself mean more.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I just liked shooting ppl in the knee cap, watch them hop around, them shotty to stomach so it would spill out the intestines.

Epic times.

oh and the part where I was about to snipe Saddam.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Slacktivision was the worst thing to ever happen to Blizzard Entertainment.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Indy developers for the win right now.

I am watching Cyberpunk though ...

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I never played a lot of sports games to start. I played wow but quit when litch king was released and tons of my achievements vanished. The only activision games i ever played are cod and crash bandicoot -- I could t get into cod. Most games I play now are guerilla, ubisoft, and bethesda games.

Anyway... bypassing consoles is stupid. The console narrows the scope of support and development to one or two particular pieces of hardware which you are not directly respinsible to support.

Consoles are usually a sizeable financial loss in and of themselves. Sony and microsoft can easily afford this being in so many markets. Nintendo has struggled for a while and survived largely on niche titles. If this guy is planning to develop his own consoles I would sell my shares.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Microsoft has the advantage IMO with Xbox one as it's essentially running windows ten.

I can't imagine it's too much harder for devs other than optimising a game for controller interface...

Though I may be wrong. Just a hunch.
edit on 17-2-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

Women were the least of Battlefield 5. EA launched that game while it was full of bugs and missing promised content with empty spots where game modes or single player stories would be in the future.
Then one month later it dropped to $30, after people bought it at full price.

I don't think the disabled lady was in the game.... I think they put her in that advertisement trailer to purposely make fans go wtf...

It's wierd how many people are on that SJW extreme train. I was on board with alot of the feminism and pro-lgbtq(ect..) stuff until they took a right turn down wacky street.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join