It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Announces 234-Mile Construction Of The Border Wall

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: fencesitter85

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: xuenchen

All trump has done since declaring it is play golf, it’s clearly not a big enough emergency for him to actually spend time in the office

👆best joke so far lol☝️

He met with a 3-Star General from the Army Corps of Engineers later that day 😆

The Wall is Coming !!!!

Fence*

200 miles of it. Paid for by you.

Lol.

I love how you all continue to parrot his propaganda and call it a wall.

It's a fence.

He's a failed negotiator. He's failed miserably every step of the way.

234 miles of a fence and you're a doing a victory dance xD

I don't care what it is called - they can call it welcome mat as far as I am concerned.

All that matters is does it slow the illegals down and allow the border patrol to apprehend them.

You are reaching to try and declare Trump has failed over the word used to describe the barrier.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Ok. They can afford it. What about this el chapo fund I've been hearing of?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: just2cents

Since congress didn’t authorize funds he declared an emergency which lets him basically reorganize the budget and pull from anything, in this case it’s coming from dod. Though the courts can overrule, and hopefully they do because this is a massive expansion of a presidents powers to declare an ambiguous emergency and reorder the budget as they see fit.

If this is allowed to stand, the executive branch will effectively take over the houses biggest responsibility, permanently.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Oh so Mexico is paying for our military members bah and va benefits? Because that’s what he’s taking money from.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

The answer to that is no, because the vast majority of illegals come into the country legally.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Oh, ok I see. But if he construes it to be a national threat would the department of defense be responsible for covering it?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85
a reply to: xuenchen

What I like the most is if (and I'll say IF to be fair although secretly I think it'll happen) Trump gets the wall built and in four years or eight years time whatever it is the wall is a huge success you know the very same politicians who are kicking up such a fuss over this whole thing will either take credit for it or say they never voted against it. Even with all the evidence saying they voted against it Snopes will suddenly say they are being truthful lol.

Just let Trump have the bloody wall.

I have no doubt that when this gets built and a left wing whackjob gets elected POTUS, that wall will be coming down. You can bank on it.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Abbby

2 years into his term and he’s just now calling it a national emergency??

Yeah, he's a little faster than Obama... Obama declared a National Emergency in 2015. That's what? 7 years into his Presidency?

Also, I didn’t realize funding for dod, homeland security and every other budget he’s stealing from came in pesos from Mexico.

I guess you haven't heard one of those sources he is using for funding is assets seized from Mexican drug cartels. Did he say he would pay for the wall in pesos? I missed that one.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

And hiring attorneys to deal with the property rights and immanent domain lawsuits; this could take years...

I keep hearing this... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the contract to build something you're opposed to.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: just2cents

I'm curious, where does the money come from for this project. I'm not against him securing the borders of his nation, that's good and all, but where do you scratch up 8bn?

Same place someone making $40k/yr. can scrape up $100... same percentage.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

And hiring attorneys to deal with the property rights and immanent domain lawsuits; this could take years...

I keep hearing this... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the contract to build something you're opposed to.

TheRedneck

Thanks but it may still happen.

btw, I'm not opposed to border security. I am opposed to a washington boondoggle throwing away taxpayers money and wasting money earmarked for the military.

www.washingtonpost.com... 149-11e9-ac6c-14eea99d5e24_story.html?utm_term=.cd74dea823c8

foreignpolicy.com... mexico-border-migration-immigration/
edit on 18-2-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

If this is allowed to stand, the executive branch will effectively take over the houses biggest responsibility, permanently.

Not really. The law states that Trump can do everything he has done. Legally, all a judge can do is declare the law itself unconstitutional... which would invalidate quite a few National Emergencies already in effect from Trump, Obama, Bush, etc.

Of course, legally has rarely stopped activist judges who think they are gods with no oversight.

Ironically, the law allowing this declaration also says that Congress not only can terminate this National Emergency, but that they must consider it! Trump can be stopped by a simple resolution from Congress.

Oh, wait... they can't even put a budget together... what was I thinking?

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Hmm... quite a lot of people upset that Trump won and is building the wall.
It's good for everyone concerned, other than criminals, so not sure it should be contentious.
Be happy. You've finally got a President that gets things done.

edit on 18/2/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Thanks but it may still happen.

Well, good luck then.

btw, I'm not opposed to border security. I am opposed to a washington boondoggle throwing away taxpayers money.

Considering that throwing that taxpayer money away is throwing it in possibly your direction, that seems a strange attitude to take. Maybe if you weren't so adamantly opposed to the wall, someone might consider you a more promising candidate to help build it? Just a thought...

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

someone might consider you a more promising candidate to help build it? Just a thought...

I don't care what someone might consider...It's all up for the competitive bidding process; ultimately that will be the deciding factor on who gets the contracts. I thought you would know that...

Here's how it works....

www.gsa.gov...

eta...even if I don't get the actual contract, I can sub out to the firm that does.
edit on 18-2-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I'd much rather our money go to protecting our borders than the billions spent on an investigation for 2 years that brought nothing, and other projects that help yield no results. They spent a large deal of money on a lhc just to pour it in when they decided nah.
edit on 18-2-2019 by Crumbles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Apparently California and 15 other states are trying to sue over Trump's national emergency

"The president does have broad authority. But he does not have authority to violate the Constitution," California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said Monday." (they filed in the 9th court)

A single judge will knock it down. Trump then needs to defy it and immediately move it to SCOTUS. The real question is, when it gets to the supreme court, will RBG be voting from hell?

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I had no idea Putin was running ATS website now.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

That's fine, build the wall all around their property then they'll beg the government to pay for it when they have drugs and guns pouring across their property daily.

posted on Feb, 18 2019 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: just2cents

Oh, ok I see. But if he construes it to be a national threat would the department of defense be responsible for covering it?

So basically, the spirit behind the idea of a national emergency is this: At times, things happen and it becomes necessary to have one person able to redirect funds in order to cover urgent needs in emergency situations. However, only the House can authorize spending. So the President can declare an emergency, and essentially rearrange the budget by pulling money from some programs in order to redirect it to others.

On it's surface, it's not a bad law. Misused it's a little dangerous, but sometimes it's necessary to cut through the red tape of Congress to do things like save lives or protect the country.

Trump is using this law to redirect funds in order to build the wall. The problem is, he's been threatening to do this for two years now, and keeps going back and forth on if it is or isn't an emergency. He keeps saying it's a problem, but he has not acted with any sense of urgency. And has on many occasions said he's doing this simply because Congress won't cooperate with him.

This has two main consequences.

First - It means that the President can issue through an EO declaring an emergency, a reorganization of any national budget from here on out. Furthermore, as long as the President controls at least 1/3 of a single house of Congress, this cannot be overturned, as an act of Congress to overturn the EO would not have a veto proof majority. Depending on who is in office, this could have profound consequences. Anything from back and forth funding/defunding of any sorts of health care or welfare systems, or social security, to wild swings in defense spending, R&D, space travel, education... given time (maybe not even much time) it will probably result in federal funds to states that didn't vote for a President, being totally redirected to the ones that did. At it's worst, this almost completely removes the legislative branch from the government, as the executive would be able to create any office for any purpose, and direct funds from a general budget to that office.

Second - This hasn't really been tested by the courts. The idea is that an emergency declaration can only be used in an actual emergency, but there doesn't seem to be a specific definition as to what an emergency is. The spirit of the law is very clear, but the letter of the law is not.

Now, to your specific question. Most likely, the DOD would delay certain purchases, and simply ask Congress to give them more money next year to make up for it. And there's a very, very good chance that Congress would do just that.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join