It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez on Amazon's 3 Billion Dollar Tax Break

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

They hardly have any employees!

What?!? There are around 650,000 people that work for amazon, [bad math].

That's kind of a lot for just one company, and this company also met the demands of US workers, they demanded $15/hr, and amazon decided on their own to set their minimum wage at that rate. Amazon is also a platform for home businesses, and honestly, they overall have a fantastic business perspective and model. There is a reason they are the number one global business, and it's because they did it right.

This deal would have brought roughly $2 billion in taxable salary annually to New York, generating roughly $125-150 million annually in state income tax alone, and that $2 billion in annual salary? The majority of it would be pumped into the economy of New York. Every year, forever, as long as amazon stays in business...

But yeah, lets thumb our nose to make some political brownie points, and cost a state billions in revenue, because amazon bad
edit on 16-2-2019 by Vector99 because: fudged the numbers

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: xuenchen

I believe she was suggesting that Amazon should apply the money that they aren't being taxed, to funding Teaching initiatives and public infrastructure, not the government.

As She asks: "why would Amazon do that ?" 🤣

As a good civic minded cashed-up business (one of the richest) would likely consider doing for the goodwill of its customers and employees.

Remember that Amazon started as a bookstore and a big chunk of its sales are to students. If you want to incentivize sales you sometimes need to consider the company's public image.

edit on 16/2/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: chr0naut

I believe she was suggesting that Amazon should apply the money that they aren't being taxed, to funding Teaching initiatives and public infrastructure, not the government.

No, she's not.

She was clearly saying that the money not being spent on Amazon's breaks could now pay for those things. But since Amazon isn't part of the picture anymore since it's not going to be there, how is that money part of the picture in her district? Do you think she expects Amazon to send it to her district out of the goodness of their heart even though they aren't locating there now?

This is AOC's actual quote:

“Amazon is a billion-dollar company,” she wrote at the time. “The idea that it will receive hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks at a time when our subway is crumbling and our communities need MORE investment, not less, is extremely concerning to residents here.”

... and as xuenchen states in this post (which I have not personally verified), she said "why would Amazon do that ?"

It appears that you swallowed ZeroHedge's spin without checking your sources.

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I've been reading a bit about her in the papers over here.
My initial thoughts were that politics could use a few more people who had real lives before becoming reps.

This tax break thing is more a rhetorical device imo.

One thing she hit on a while back was how her medical insurance as a politician cost half of what it did as a bloody waitress, and gave her far more too.

People like her can show up the idiotic inequalities in the system which is the first step in addressing problems.

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
The inheritance they received WAS taxed, heavily, before the earners even received it.

No it wasn't.

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: links234

The inheritance they received WAS taxed, heavily, before the earners even received it.

No it wasn't.

Yes it was. All earnings are taxed. Especially for ‘the rich’. They’re taxed at a higher rate than the non-rich. You know that right?
edit on 16 2 2019 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 02:38 AM
link   

LOL! twitter.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Democrat Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) is the representative from Long Island City where Amazon was going to put their headquarters. Along with many other Democrats, Ms. Maloney is stunned at how the moonbat wing of the party has taken over.
MOONBATS RUINING DEMS: theconservativetreehouse.com...

edit on 2/16/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Democrat Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) is the representative from Long Island City where Amazon was going to put their headquarters. Along with many other Democrats, Ms. Maloney is stunned at how the moonbat wing of the party has taken over.
MOONBATS RUINING DEMS: theconservativetreehouse.com...

That's so funny. Seriously, I'm sure they're thinking 'WTF just happened'. It really was that quick. I am also wondering the same! How quickly the party has changed. But then, look what Trump has done to the right. It's easy to get comfy and lazy in political idealogies. Then somebody comes along and upsets the apple cart, LOL!

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

What's stunning is how the freshwomen left-wingers affected a major decision by Amazon, without using any Congressional powers. They just said "BOO!", and Bezos shi't his pants and ran.

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: links234

No it wasn't.

Yes it was. All earnings are taxed. Especially for ‘the rich’. They’re taxed at a higher rate than the non-rich. You know that right?

Actually most “for the rich” aren’t taxed. Most of the “rich” make almost no money. They accumulate lots of money through capital gains and such, but normally only a small portion of their income is wages. Real estate moguls also often pay no tax at all, as they can just roll their profit into new re investments, and get to claim “depreciation “ even when the market value of their real estate is skyrocketing. And so on and so on.

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: StoutBroux

What's stunning is how the freshwomen left-wingers affected a major decision by Amazon, without using any Congressional powers. They just said "BOO!", and Bezos shi't his pants and ran.

I think its more that multi billionaire's don't need the hassle, especially when there are plenty of communities with willing and able workers and congresspeople out there that understand ENTRY LEVEL CORPORATE TAX BREAKS and its benefits to their constituients. LOL the funny thing to me is Amazon had all these progressive, leftist requirements and gets their foot slammed in the door by a progressive leftist.

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

our communities need MORE investment

What exactly would you call a multi-billion dollar, multi-thousand job creating business venture?

Is that not an investment in New York? Would New York NOT benefit from it?

She just pissed away a guaranteed $150 MILLION annually in additional state income tax revenue, along with all the other benefit of an additional $2 BILLION in spendable income for the state.

Now another state will reap those benefits, but meh....AOC WON! SHE WON THE INTERWEBS!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
U.S. Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says the $3 Billion in tax breaks that Amazon apparently won't be using should be used for other funding like teachers and subway upgrades.

She apparently does not understand that tax breaks given to companies are not income or payouts to begin with !! 😎

Amazon has reportedly withdrawn from the New York deal anyway.

The new government arithmetic is confusing isn't it 😆

AOC Celebrates "Defeat" Of World's Richest Man's "Worker Exploitation" As Amazon Abandons NY

She added that if New York had $3 billion to give away to Amazon as a part of this deal, it should be able to find the money to pay teachers and fix the subway.

She starts around 5:40..

No one should be given tax breaks.

It should be the same tax for ALL.

I normally thinks this woman is a loon but hey even a broken clock is right twice a day...

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ApacheHelicopetr

My god, people are really dense.

The tax break is given to entice the business to set up shop in their locality because of the benefits of having that business there.

25,000 jobs now will be located somewhere else, New York lost out big. New York will be the next Chicago if they keep electing people like AOC.

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: ApacheHelicopetr

My god, people are really dense.

The tax break is given to entice the business to set up shop in their locality because of the benefits of having that business there.

25,000 jobs now will be located somewhere else, New York lost out big. New York will be the next Chicago if they keep electing people like AOC.

Thats Crony capitalism and big government favoring one business over another.

Government should keep OUT of business and let them rise and fall on their own merits.

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 06:17 AM
link   
$3 billion in tax breaks is $3 billion less in revenue for governmental bodies. Why does Amazon need a break? It does not. Period. Not to mention that Amazon paid no federal taxes for $11.2 profits in 2018; rather, it got a tax rebate of $129 million. And for all of you who are okay with this, do you enjoy having to shoulder an even greater burden so Bezos and ilk can add more zeroes to their net worth? Personally, I would rather not. I'm sick of the wealthy taking everything for themselves.

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   
The last two posters reminded me why I typically just lurk ATS to get my daily dose of stupid laughs nowadays, there is no reasoning with ignorance.

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
If she deosn't understand how a tax break for business works, why is she even in Congress.

guess youre not hip to the new developments

these days you dont need to be informed to be a politician

see the president that you all love so much

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: roadgravel
If she deosn't understand how a tax break for business works, why is she even in Congress.

guess youre not hip to the new developments

these days you dont need to be informed to be a politician

see the president that you all love so much

originally posted by: Vector99
I typically just lurk ATS to get my daily dose of stupid laughs nowadays, there is no reasoning with ignorance.

Right on time, took only 5 minutes.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join