It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez on Amazon's 3 Billion Dollar Tax Break

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
You seem overly multinational corporate friendly. You do realize that amazon gets virtual subsidies via mail delivery of its products, making it able to artificially reduce its costs of shipping and products? Ie a form of corporate welfare.
a reply to: neo96

edit on 15-2-2019 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
It turns out a minor in economics, not major.
a reply to: queenofswords

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Stfu you marxist/communist/liberal spawn of Satan. -some members of ats
a reply to: conspiracy nut

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: CharlesT
a reply to: neo96

Amazon's federal tax liability this year as well as last is $0.00

Hmmm

Amazon Financial Statements show they paid plenty of taxes...

Amazon

Taxes Paid

It is pointless trying to explain it to some people...

These are the same people that don't realize that their "tax refund" is an interest free loan to the government....

The same ones complaining that their "refund" was smaller not realizing that they paid less in taxes throughout the year....

The same ones who think not owing taxes on April 15th means you didn't pay taxes...

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Which has been admitted won’t all go to locals, and haven’t elsewhere.
a reply to: smkymcnugget420

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Except their base Seattle passed a $15 an hour law, unless you mean all amazon workers make that.
a reply to: xuenchen

link   
Rickymouse, the sooper dooper yooper
my family is from Munising. Now we's trolls

I swear everyday seems to prove President Trump is a genius or really did/does time travel, take MAGA, does it mean "make Alexandria go away" who can tell , but it works for me.

Having AOC wanting to spend money that does not exist in reality should suprise no one, just look at the new green dream/deal, it's not based on reality either....

link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: pexx421
a reply to: CriticalStinker

You are incorrect. The spectrum has a pretty clear statistically significant divide.

blogs.cfainstitute.org...

“Red and blue states are very different — economically speaking.
This is where a recent study by David C. Parsley and Helen Popper comes in. The duo investigated the differences between red and blue states much more thoroughly than my friend and I did over a couple of beers.

So what did they find?

Red and blue states vary so much in their economic trajectories that they may as well be two distinct countries within the United States.

First, blue states have enjoyed higher economic growth rates on average than red states since the Great Recession. Since the mid-2000s, the business cycle of blue states has increasingly diverged from that of their red counterparts.

The average disparity in GDP growth between red states and blue states has hovered around 3.5% since the recession ended. For comparison, a previous study of 20 developed nations found an average GDP convergence among them of only 1.75%.

Differences in GDP growth also lead to differences in household income and household consumption — i.e., in living standards. Luckily, there are several transfer mechanisms that mitigate these gaps in GDP growth so that consumption shortfalls in red states amount to only about one-fifth of the growth deficits.”

CA has Silicon Valley. Oregon and WA are basically silicon valley outposts at this point. NYC is driven by Wall Street.

Again, many companies that are the economic engines in these "blue states" are getting the f*ck out because of the taxes. NY, CT, and NJ are losing top financiers to Florida at an alarming rate because of taxes. CT has a budget short fall because one or two billionaire hedge fund guys packed up and moved to Florida. They don't need to be on "Wall Street" anymore because they can do everything online.

The Bulge Bracket Wall Street Banks (Goldman, JPM) and the smaller boutiques like Blackstone, Lazard, and others that most of you have never heard of are entrenched in NYC. The entire economy of NYC is based around Wall Street. Fashion and entertainment is a contributor, but NYC lives and dies by Wall Street. However, even most of these banks have offices in other cities, but their infrastructure is in NYC so it is much harder for them to pack up and leave.

Companies in Silicon Valley stay there because it is hard to find top programming talent in the numbers they need. In addition, VC funds (Sand Hill Road) set up shop there so you have to be there if you are seeking early stage funding. Sure other cities have VC / PE funds but the biggest players are still in Silicon Valley.

Companies and people are leaving in droves out of these states to cheaper areas.

And your point is what? Florida is booming? No, it’s a #hole like Louisiana where industry makes tons of money and the population gets no benefit. And your description still gives no explanation why the red states across the board are and have been worse off than blue states. Except to say “oh, in my expert opinion that won’t continue”. Profound.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

((💥Bells Ringing💥))

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I'm against taxes in nearly every scenario.

But it really blows when small businesses get taxed to hell and back and can't afford to hire one or two extra employees and then scenarios like Amazon also happen.

What Amazon does or doesn't get taxed doesn't change the fact that AOC is a ditz who didn't think before she spoke on this one. A tax break is not like a tax return.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
That’s the thing, there is far more wealth and economic production in ny and ca than the majority of states.
a reply to: Xcalibur254

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
It turns out a minor in economics, not major.
a reply to: queenofswords

No. It was a "Sergeant Major" 💥🤣

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
No, it was before Silicon Valley too.
Most people don’t know ca is the most powerful agricultural state in the Us, as an example. It says here also film, and a large share of aerospace industry.

www.newsmax.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

That’s the thing, there is far more wealth and economic production in ny and ca than the majority of states.
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Too bad there is also far more government waste and corruption in those states than almost every other so none of the people see any benefit from it, too.

It doesn't matter how prosperous your economy is if your government spends like drunken sailors.

Don't worry though. Thanks to the US Federal Government, we'll see those effects nationwide before too long.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

You are incorrect. The spectrum has a pretty clear statistically significant divide.

blogs.cfainstitute.org...

“Red and blue states are very different — economically speaking.
This is where a recent study by David C. Parsley and Helen Popper comes in. The duo investigated the differences between red and blue states much more thoroughly than my friend and I did over a couple of beers.

So what did they find?

Red and blue states vary so much in their economic trajectories that they may as well be two distinct countries within the United States.

First, blue states have enjoyed higher economic growth rates on average than red states since the Great Recession. Since the mid-2000s, the business cycle of blue states has increasingly diverged from that of their red counterparts.

The average disparity in GDP growth between red states and blue states has hovered around 3.5% since the recession ended. For comparison, a previous study of 20 developed nations found an average GDP convergence among them of only 1.75%.

Differences in GDP growth also lead to differences in household income and household consumption — i.e., in living standards. Luckily, there are several transfer mechanisms that mitigate these gaps in GDP growth so that consumption shortfalls in red states amount to only about one-fifth of the growth deficits.”

CA has Silicon Valley. Oregon and WA are basically silicon valley outposts at this point. NYC is driven by Wall Street.

Again, many companies that are the economic engines in these "blue states" are getting the f*ck out because of the taxes. NY, CT, and NJ are losing top financiers to Florida at an alarming rate because of taxes. CT has a budget short fall because one or two billionaire hedge fund guys packed up and moved to Florida. They don't need to be on "Wall Street" anymore because they can do everything online.

The Bulge Bracket Wall Street Banks (Goldman, JPM) and the smaller boutiques like Blackstone, Lazard, and others that most of you have never heard of are entrenched in NYC. The entire economy of NYC is based around Wall Street. Fashion and entertainment is a contributor, but NYC lives and dies by Wall Street. However, even most of these banks have offices in other cities, but their infrastructure is in NYC so it is much harder for them to pack up and leave.

Companies in Silicon Valley stay there because it is hard to find top programming talent in the numbers they need. In addition, VC funds (Sand Hill Road) set up shop there so you have to be there if you are seeking early stage funding. Sure other cities have VC / PE funds but the biggest players are still in Silicon Valley.

Companies and people are leaving in droves out of these states to cheaper areas.

And your point is what? Florida is booming? No, it’s a #hole like Louisiana where industry makes tons of money and the population gets no benefit. And your description still gives no explanation why the red states across the board are and have been worse off than blue states. Except to say “oh, in my expert opinion that won’t continue”. Profound.

I did give you an explanation, you just have a hard time with reading comprehension.

CA is home to Silicon Valley. The tech industry is booming. NYC is home to Wall Street. Wall Street is booming. These industries account for huge amounts of wealth and money.

With that said, these industries are there not because of any CA liberal or NYC liberal policies, but they've simply been there for ages. They are entrenched. In other words, these blue states benefit IN SPITE of their policies, not BECAUSE of their policies. If these states didn't have these entrenched industries, they would have been bankrupt ages ago...

Florida is booming. Texas is booming. Tenn is booming. Carolinas are booming.

People are leaving high cost blue states in droves.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

But it's 40,000 people paying income, and property taxes times the 6 degrees of separation spending money that other business that have employees also pay income and property taxes to the tune of $27 billion dollars.

On top of the TAXES AMAZON pays the fed's.

ALL those people get tax breaks just like Amazon.

That would be otherwise outsourced to another country.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Except CA has a diverse economy and did prior to Silicon Valley. www.newsmax.com...

I recognize the economic and human impact of tech and Silicon Valley, as there are positives.

However, as a native ca, who grew up in between Silicon Valley and SF, there have been negative effects of Silicon Valley. Prior to it’s advent, the Bay Area was far more community orientated, affordable, deep rooted etc. Now it’s been largely taken over and nobody can afford to live there except top earners. A two bedroom in the hood near my parents is now at least $3000 a month. In SF proper add a 1000 or two.

Finally, y’all need to get off this CA hate. It’s excessive. It’s a wonderful state.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Except CA has a diverse economy and did prior to Silicon Valley. www.newsmax.com...

Yes, it does... to a point. Most states can claim a variety of industries.

Like I said a page or two back, there are really three states in CA. NorCal / Silicon Valley. Inland /Agriculture. Southern CA/Hollywood.

My point is that Tech is probably what is really driving wealth in CA right now. Tech is HUGE. NorCal. Yes, lots of farmland in CA, but that is not generating unicorn billion valuations for start up companies... Hollywood throws off a lot of cash too but a very mature industry and again, not necessarily creating multi-billionaires out of nothing anymore.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Most don’t have as powerful in these other industries either...

Even without tech, ca is an econ powerhouse relative to most states. That’s factual.

It was a huge economy before Silicon Valley blew up.
Yes, that now is a major part. It isn’t without its issues though and I’m surprised that conservatives on here are blindly supporting what are becoming mostly liberal, censorious panapolies in the tech sphere.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

AOC Celebrates "Defeat" Of World's Richest Man's "Worker Exploitation" As Amazon Abandons NY.

I don't understand how Amazon was defeated; they where begged to come to NY and can and now will go somewhere else.

Cuomo and Deblasio where the ones who where defeated. Their plan to bring Amazon to New York (and the kick backs involved) where stopped.
edit on 15-2-2019 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join