It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Campus vending machines offer emergency contraception

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I read this article the other day an I could not believe my eyes!

Campus vending machines offer emergency contraception

"Thirteen years after a heated battle resulted in over-the-counter approval for emergency contraception, the product is finally shedding some of its stigma, and college campuses are leading the charge toward normalization.

In the fall of 2018, Yale’s Reproductive Justice Action League proposed a new plan to improve the health and wellness of its student population: emergency contraception vending machines. They wanted to join the dozens of other college campuses where emergency contraception vending machines have been quietly popping up for the past decade, making it significantly easier for students to take action in the wake of a broken condom or forgotten pill."

My question is really to people who have a much more confidence in their own moral compass if they think this is a good thing or a bad thing and why?

edit on Thu Feb 14 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: EXTAGS ADDED IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

What kind of cost does it run? If cheap enough they can take one every week or so!

Depends on side efffects too I suppose!
edit on 14-2-2019 by tayton because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I think it is a good thing because a baby messes plans up and why get screwed because you are unlucky enough to have a condom break.

Besides I doubt a baby is alive the day after and if it is at least it will grow up in Heaven.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Good in my opinion.

I'm Pro-Life but not anti-contraception. Much better than abortion IMO. I have no problem with this kind of solution.

It's not a religious thing with me, I just believe it's a fact that an unborn child is a separate human being unto itself, with the right to life.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Over here in the UK you have to go to a pharmacist and its expensive and I'm pretty sure if your hard up for money and you can't afford it it isn't always a possible option. I suppose this makes it more accessible although I'm not entirely sure how the system works for this across the pond.
I don't know if it's a bad thing given all the insane abortion bills going on at the moment if it can help prevent some poor unwanted child being aborted at a later date then maybe it's a slightly more healthier step in the right direction given the alternative. I'm sure not everyone would agree though but that's my opinion.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   
What, a male contraceptive 'before the act' pill?

I never thought they would actually allow that to see the light of day.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The thing I don't get, about people against these pills, is why?
Used properly, shouldn't they make most abortion non existent?
Wouldn't that make more people happy?

I'm all for it. They should be available everywhere, cheap or free.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSkyUm.... No, this is the "morning after" pill.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   
It's kind of funny that these are in vending machines
. And bizarre. I've known a few people who's college life was screwed up by a unplanned pregnancy.

Like Blaine said, even if you're pro-life, this Is better than abortion.

But how awkward would it be if you just wanted some chips, and got contraception instead?

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

So abortions are bad...but so is contraception? Yup you guys sure like giving women choices alright....
edit on 14/2/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

nice pun.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I have a daughter in college now and I think this is a very good idea.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

So abortions are bad...but so is contraception? Yup you guys sure like giving women choices alright....

Weird... I had thought that the left would be against condoms.

A one-use non-biodegradable plastic that is used for recreation.

Ban them just like straws!!!

To the OP, makes sense to me.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Good.

I'm sure my more hardline conservative colleges would disagree, but preventing a pregnancy and terminating one are two vastly different things.

If we focused on prevention rather than abstinence we might actually get somewhere to prevent disease and unwanted pregnancies.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Good thing. A woman has a right to neutralize any sperm in her body. The morning after pill is just that, taken the day after (or two) before any fertilization happens. Men neutralize their sperm all the time into a paper towel. Make it just as cheap as a roll of towels then. No woman wants to wait until they know they are pregnant to have an abortion. Prevent it in the first place. No harm, no foul, life moves forward as it was the day before.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It’s great! Collage/University are learning institutions. Nothing teaches you better then learning from your mistakes. Accidents heppen rubbers break and 10s become 2s when the hang over hits.

I am all for this.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
This is the "morning after" pill, I take it?

So what's the issue? What's bad about this? I don't see anything. As far as I know, it doesn't cause irrational behavior, isn't addictive, so if someone wants to buy, why can't they?

We in the US are far too hung up on sex. That's one area where I agree with European culture. It's a pill to counter unwanted side effects of a natural human activity, much more reasonable an alternative than late-term abortion.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I thought this was already standardized?
I was in Paris many years ago and they had rubber vending machines everywhere.

I live in South Africa and even here it’s standard practice to put these kind of vending machines in bathrooms on campus or in night clubs in campus towns etc.

Or you could always walk down to the gas station?

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 05:52 AM
link   
*shrugs*

I have no issue with contraceptive use, if the schools can make it easier to get and the students can wrap there minds around using it then great.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015 If I were a woman, I would never have an abortion, unless it was a medical emergency. That is me.

These pills, are at least an immediate solution, to an issue that may or may not be. The woman who take these, have no idea if they are even pregnant.

If they would abort the baby, if they found out they were pregnant, I guess its better to take this pill than kill the baby when its formed, and can feel. Either way, I don't agree, but let them sell the pills.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join