It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump declares national emergency over wall

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: Wayfarer

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Actually, a National Emergency EO was signed by Obama in 2011. It is still in effect.

It is not just immigration. It is crime which is what he has said he wants to stop since the day he stated he was running. Always said legal immigration is fine.

I'm sorry I can't tell which of my posts you are replying to.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Satire:

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Amazingly sad how Democrats don't mind seeing American Citizens die.

From pre-birth babies, to seniors.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Finally! Way overdue! He should have done this when Pelosy and Schumer were acting out. Let's get this done and move to the next issue: Abolish Democracts and Republicans all together and replace it with the people who actually make a difference!

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I am just waiting for the next big terrorist attack to occur where it will be proven they entered the US via Mexico.

People will want not only a wall, they will go for a moat and a minefield to back it up.

Film at 11.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: FataMorgana
EVERYBODY WINS!!

(some just "win" more)

Winning?

The POTUS is flapping in the breeze... his own party turned against him.

McConnell understands now that he no longer needs Trumps support to bring a bill to a vote.

83-16 in the Senate.

GOP Party leaders now understand that it costs them more to stay with Trump than it does to abandon him.

Trump pulls an "end-around" Congress who holds the purse strings and Trump correctly predicted that the "emergency" will be blocked by the 9th Circuit court.

This will end up in the Supreme court, but by that time we'll be electing a new POTUS...

Meanwhile the #show continues... "read my lips..."

winning... MAGA
edit on 15-2-2019 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Extorris

so uh you are quoting a site using canadian and uk law
lol
what a load of crap

I posted what the actual us law says
thanks for leaving a steaming pile of bs
quite disingenuous of you

uscode.house.gov.../prelim@title50/chapter34&edition=prelim

edit on 15/2/2019 by shooterbrody because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: LSU2018

jesus, another rambling speech by our dementia-like president....listened to it for about 30 seconds, and didn't know what the F he was talking about....if it's not written by other people, he speaks like a 5 grader......

Another rambling speech, yet you only listened for 30 seconds. What the hell is a 5 grader?

you must have studied English at trump university

You must have been that guy sleeping in the back of the class all the time.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Another rambling speech, yet you only listened for 30 seconds. What the hell is a 5 grader?

I think on a grade of 1 to 5 to the President performance he sees the President as a 5 grader...

Ooooooh, now it makes sense!

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

jesus, another rambling speech by our dementia-like president....listened to it for about 30 seconds, and didn't know what the F he was talking about....if it's not written by other people, he speaks like a 5 grader......

How do you know he was rambling if you only heard 30 seconds...

Cuz Don Lemon say'd he sount like a 5 grader.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
he did exactly what the Dems wanted him to do. He rejected offer after offer for less wall money than he wanted, ultimately signed a budget agreement with almost no wall money (about 55 mile worth, but you know it will be less) and now he's moved to the "national emergency" which will be held up for years in litigation.

Art of the Deal my ass.

I just don't know what I'm supposed to believe from the right. Is there a crisis at the border, or are illegal crossings at all time lows? They tout both claims...

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Extorris

The Constitution rests the sole power to appropriate funds with Congress.

National Emergencies are reserved for sudden changes in the Security and Safety of the nation like Natural Disasters or Terrorist Attacks with mass casualties.

Only in those scenarios is the President afforded the option to skip congress. "Emergent" situations that require immediate response where waiting on congressional deliberations would cost thousands of lives.

By all statistics the threat of illegal immigration does not qualify and as far as it can be quantified, the threat has decreased over the past 10 years. No sudden threat to National Security or Safety.

So when Obama did a National Emergency against organized crime to include Mexico what do you call that. When President said he is basically piggy backing on Obama's national Emergency already in place and active, what do you call that?

Do you want to be specific? Or does that not help you?

you mean this?

July 25, 2011: The National Emergency With Respect to Blocking Property of Transnational Criminals was in response to the rise in crime by specific organizations: Los Zetas (Mexico), The Brothers’ Circle (former Soviet Union countries), the Yakuza (Japan), and the Camorra (Italy).

obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...

This is using the National Emergency code to seize assets and block US banking transactions of Criminal cartels and individuals.

It is NOT an expenditure of taxpayer dollars which is expressly congresses constitutional authority.
It is NOT something that can be addressed through congress or standing banking laws.
It DOES reflect emerging threats as Criminal Orgs Evolve, change names and Principle members often.

obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...

Blocking Transactions and Assets of Criminal orgs is something congress has approved of since it fits the legal description of National Emergency:

"which cannot be properly addressed by the use of other law."
and
"situation beyond the ordinary"
and
It does not unconstitutionally usurp congressional authority in appropriations of spending.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

legal description of National Emergency

that would be whatever the potus designates

there is no qualifier in the law
quit posting the lie that there is

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

You see a campaign slogan, I see a step towards a safer country. Therein lies the problem.

Now that's just moving the goalpost. So getting Mexico to pay for it isn't important to you, why not just put up more fencing at 1/10th the cost then? How has a wall been the arbitrary point you've decided to plant your feet at if everything else is mutable to your whims?

How has the wall been the point? Are you kidding me? I don't give a care how it's paid for. I'd rather see 10 billion go towards a wall for our security that I would 57 billion go towards foreign aid. It's a drop in the bucket and you're bitching about Mexico not paying for because Trump said they would. Is that more important to you?

Well, if its such a critical emergency issue, I'm sure you can point me to some reference posts you made more than 2 years ago decrying the sad state of immigration across the southern border and the critical need for a wall, right?

Surely this emergency need for a wall didn't just materialize when Trump ran for president......

Bingo. It's been an issue for decades and Trump is the first one to do something about it. Clinton, Bush, and Obama all talked about it. Not sure about Bush Sr., I wasn't old enough to care about politics when he was pres.

The budget to build the wall is a drop in the bucket. Tell me one thing it would hurt to build one.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

lol
what a load of crap

Your link Doesn't work. My link discussed US law and National emergencies.
Your post reads like a bitter drunk. This discussion doesn't seem productive.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
uscode.house.gov...@title50/chapter34/subchapter3&edition=prelim

§1631. Declaration of national emergency by Executive order; authority; publication in Federal Register; transmittal to Congress When the President declares a national emergency, no powers or authorities made available by statute for use in the event of an emergency shall be exercised unless and until the President specifies the provisions of law under which he proposes that he, or other officers will act. Such specification may be made either in the declaration of a national emergency, or by one or more contemporaneous or subsequent Executive orders published in the Federal Register and transmitted to the Congress.

thats it
the potus has this power
unencumbered

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Extorris

lol
what a load of crap

Your link Doesn't work. My link discussed US law and National emergencies.
Your post reads like a bitter drunk. This discussion doesn't seem productive.

I posted the link to the actual law
there ARE NO qualifiers in the law
the potus makes a declaration
thats it
no hurdles

you "discussion" is based on a lie

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: CeeWhizzle
Man, watching this post has been a great time. Loving today. You're all great.

Filled with educated responses and then retaliated against with "Trump speaks like a 5th grader cause I only watched 30 seconds of it, hur duuurrr" hahahaha.

I watched it all and trump reminded me of the high school dork always bragging on himself about how many women he banged and how fast his car was, and sounding like a total fool.

That presser was an embarrassment.

Poor fella. Did you feel like he was putting you down as a lesser guy? Feeling intimidated? Hurt?

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   

You see a campaign slogan, I see a step towards a safer country. Therein lies the problem.

Now that's just moving the goalpost. So getting Mexico to pay for it isn't important to you, why not just put up more fencing at 1/10th the cost then? How has a wall been the arbitrary point you've decided to plant your feet at if everything else is mutable to your whims?

How has the wall been the point? Are you kidding me? I don't give a care how it's paid for. I'd rather see 10 billion go towards a wall for our security that I would 57 billion go towards foreign aid. It's a drop in the bucket and you're bitching about Mexico not paying for because Trump said they would. Is that more important to you?

Well, if its such a critical emergency issue, I'm sure you can point me to some reference posts you made more than 2 years ago decrying the sad state of immigration across the southern border and the critical need for a wall, right?

Surely this emergency need for a wall didn't just materialize when Trump ran for president......

Bingo. It's been an issue for decades and Trump is the first one to do something about it. Clinton, Bush, and Obama all talked about it. Not sure about Bush Sr., I wasn't old enough to care about politics when he was pres.

The budget to build the wall is a drop in the bucket. Tell me one thing it would hurt to build one.

I think you missed my point. Since you're obviously passionate about it now, I would assume you've been passionate about it for a while (certainty longer than the 2 years Trump has been championing it). What I was asking for was an example from more than 2 years ago showing said passion from you (specifically requiring the need for a wall).

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

legal description of National Emergency

that would be whatever the potus designates

there is no qualifier in the law
quit posting the lie that there is

Of course the President is not forbidden from making the declaration, but the declaration will never take effect because it fails the legal test.

Once President Trump declares a national emergency, what is the next step? He should point to specific statutory authority to get the resources and funds he needs to build a wall.

There are two statutes that he is most likely to use. One allows the secretary of defense to start a military program if it is needed to support armed forces. The problem here is that there is no real evidence that the armed forces need a wall to support them. Instead, the reverse may be true, you need armed forces to build a wall. The second statute allows the secretary of the Army to direct troops and resources “that are essential to the national defense.” Here, again, we have a problem. There is scant evidence to indicate that a border wall is in fact essential to the national defense.

-
Trump’s emergency declaration is an attempt to circumvent one of the most important constitutional checks on presidential power — the “power of the purse,” to raise and spend money, which is given to Congress under the US Constitution.

-

the secretary of the Army to apply funds and personnel to construct “projects that are essential to the national defense” and the secretary of defense to use funds to “undertake military construction projects” necessary to support the use of the armed forces if the emergency requires use of the armed forces.
-
our border security does not “require use of the armed forces” and that the construction of a border wall is not “essential to the national defense.”

-

First, there will be litigation by members of Congress, which will turn on the complexities of standing.

Second, if Trump shifts funds from other appropriated projects to the wall, some contractors losing funds arguably have standing to challenge the emergency’s validity.

Third, most of the wall would be built on private property, and property owners can challenge the validity of this “public use” under eminent domain.

-

On the other hand, once executive branch agencies start using the statutory authorities the president has designated in his declaration, they will be subject to lawsuits. For example, the Military Construction Codification Act gives the secretary of defense authority in a national emergency “that requires use of the armed forces” to reallocate funds “to undertake military construction projects ... that are necessary to support such use of the armed forces.”

It is not clear, however, whether the armed forces may lawfully be used to build the wall. It is not clear that building the wall is a project “necessary to support” the armed forces building the wall. And it is not clear that the wall would be a military installation of the kind that fits within the statutory definition of “military construction.”

www.vox.com...

But hey, at least he stroked his base by violating the constitution, trying to usurp congresses congressional authority over spending.

Shored up the fascists among his base, but it actually has ZERO chance of ever being implemented.

The only thing President Trump has consistently succeeded at is embarrassing the United States and most of all his own supporters.
edit on 15-2-2019 by Extorris because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join