It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LI-FI a temporary solution to hacking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Here's a random thought to prevent hacking use Light and LI-FI instead of Wi-fi Much harder to crack. Newton split light into 7 primary colours and nobody "yet" has deciphered the alien hello embedded in natural light, the quickest way to send information throughout a creation but were getting there - But Li-Fi it would temporarily stop hacking would it not?

www.eng.ed.ac.uk...

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DpatC

No, if you can build it, there is a very high probability it can be hacked. Except in the case of quantum entanglement. In that case any attempt by an interfering state to measure the state between the two entangled particles, collapses the wavefunction making the original entangled state unresolvable. :-)

Quantum entanglement is the communication method of the future. Light is old school, we were running broadband LOS for border communications in africa in 1987/88.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DpatC
But Li-Fi it would temporarily stop hacking would it not?
It depends on what you mean by "stop hacking", but LiFi is based on visible light that is stopped by walls, whereas Wifi is based on radio waves that go through many walls such as the type found in most homes.

So the person sitting in his van outside my house trying to use my Wifi might be able to do it, but the wall should be able to block him from receiving visible light signals unless I have a window with a sight line to a LiFi visible light source.

However the walls would block people from using their own devices in their own homes too with a single LiFi source, which doesn't happen with Wifi, so even if LiFi might prevent some types of bandwidth stealing, it seems like it would not only keep the hacker outside from getting visible light signals, but it would stop me from getting visible light signals in other rooms in my house like I can do with radio signals from WiFi.

So it's just a different frequency of the electromagnetic spectrum but one can go through walls and the other can't.

This site doesn't suggest home use but it does suggest a meeting room environment where you can prevent visible light signals from getting outside that room quite easily, which is a security advantage:

Li-Fi

The overall net benefit to each user is up to 1000 times greater speeds. In addition, and in contrast to radio waves, the light does not pass through the walls. Therefore, with minimal precautions to avoid leakage from windows, etc., security is fundamentally enhanced as compared with Wi-Fi.

A good application of LiFi might be aircraft cabins. Airlines always tell you to turn off all electronic devices at takeoff and landing to be sure they don't interfere wirelessly with technology in the cockpit, which they might because radio waves can go through walls and get into the cockpit.

But theoretically, there should be no way for visible light from Li-Fi devices in the passenger area to interfere with the cockpit technology since visible light can't go through the walls. So maybe you could leave Li-Fi devices on even during takeoff and landing if they had low enough emissions in the non-visible light spectra.

edit on 2019214 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 10:53 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Already have a thread on this.

Anyways it is an awesome idea and I think using light will probably be much more secure.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well we actually do use light quite a lot for communications purposes - in the form of optical fibre.
It's far more secure than WiFi because you need physical access to the fibre to tap into it and 'tapping' it can be detected IE signal interruption and degradation.

Microwave transmission is line of sight too.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I remember using IrDA back in the day to give my palm pilot internet access. Old School is cool again.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
One argument wants everyone assigned an individual IP address like a social security/birth/incarceration number... and others in either a quest for knowledge or habitual thirst of a specific type of noun... as also a noun(attachment to form) want an infinite array of IP or address identifiers like you speak of.

Currently there is an onion wall... the core and then layer after layer that encases or encapsulates, or a net of IP's that believe in the idea of net neutrality... much like owning a gun means it may never be used or if used for the specific purposes it was designed for... and in the end not the gun or technologies fault but all the steps of the individual, in whatever search or quest or hunger or thirst or need or requirement they may be on.

So they onion concept much like the lotus wheel concept is a support or foundation where it isn't immediately stepping off a cliff into an ideological abyss.

Such a thing is a selfless action being part of that onion, and those that want it to be one extreme or the other is where the non gradual path of extreme duality and fighting lay.

Net neutrality means stop trying to militarize or weaponize or censor the free expression of information as exchange or knowledge database...

Sowing a thought does not reap a habit, sowing a thought, then sowing a deed, does not reap a habit, sowing a thought reaping a deed looking to continually reap the same deed over and over without any other interference is the habitual or ideological or what as a society that sets itself up as a judge jury and executioner of other than self? Is what is considered insane as it takes the thoughts feelings and perceptions of no one or nothing else into consideration other than, like a chess board of how many moves until I can get, rob or steal away what I want out of someone as a method of action or what is commonly referred to as pre-meditated modus operandi... the motive is clear, to satiate one self despite which of course then becomes cause for spite... once someone realizes they have been used or duped as some pawn or patsy...

Socio pathology notice... "social" is built into it, meaning their self hood is not an island unto itself that it takes others and accomplices to get what they and they alone want, even though there is likely more than just that one out there that want crave or desire the dame thing... like a pack animal that tries to encircle and strike the herd, but in socio-pathology once boiled down? Is actually a Hive mentality... they will fight each other down to extinction claiming either victim after victim or victim-hood until none ignorant or any of them are left.

So what you suggest there are all three types fighting for just one...

top topics

join