It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vote on a spending bill nobody has seen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Our government is a fricken joke.

"The House of Representatives is scheduled to vote on a government appropriations bill Thursday evening and, with a day until the vote, lawmakers still have not received the text of the legislation"

"No one has seen the final wording of a long and complicated bill we will be expected to vote on tomorrow evening,” Republican Maryland Rep. Andy Harris told The Daily Caller News Foundation. “That’s no way to run a legislature.”

How can anyone be expected to vote on a bill with no clue what's inside?
Obamacare anyone?

This is a childish move in my opinion.

"the legislation is expected to be finalized Wednesday night, giving members of Congress less than 24 hours to read what they are voting on. A senior House Republican source confirmed to TheDCNF that no Republican lawmakers have received a copy of the legislation or seen any text as of Wednesday afternoon."

dailycaller.com...

Washington needs an enema....
Several in fact..

A Thursday vote to keep a Friday shutdown from happening?
I can hear Pelosi now.
"The GOP had a bill to avoid the shutdown and they didn't care enough about the American people to stop the pain..."

Ugh.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I think this has been discussed, but a good reminder like this would be warranted

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Our government is a fricken joke.

"The House of Representatives is scheduled to vote on a government appropriations bill Thursday evening and, with a day until the vote, lawmakers still have not received the text of the legislation"

"No one has seen the final wording of a long and complicated bill we will be expected to vote on tomorrow evening,” Republican Maryland Rep. Andy Harris told The Daily Caller News Foundation. “That’s no way to run a legislature.”

How can anyone be expected to vote on a bill with no clue what's inside?
Obamacare anyone?

This is a childish move in my opinion.

"the legislation is expected to be finalized Wednesday night, giving members of Congress less than 24 hours to read what they are voting on. A senior House Republican source confirmed to TheDCNF that no Republican lawmakers have received a copy of the legislation or seen any text as of Wednesday afternoon."

dailycaller.com...

Washington needs an enema....
Several in fact..

A Thursday vote to keep a Friday shutdown from happening?
I can hear Pelosi now.
"The GOP had a bill to avoid the shutdown and they didn't care enough about the American people to stop the pain..."

Ugh.

Both parties are complicit in the corruption. I hope Trump vetoes and then holds a press conference explaning why.

McConnell's gang of lackys is just as bad as Pelosi / Schumer's. The RINO republicans don't like Trump either and thier actions should be pretty clear to anyone thinking straight... different side of the same coin.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
THey have learned that in order to get all of the crap they want into a bill, they need to only give the legislators a very narrow window to read the bills before an arbitrary deadline approaches.

A friend is on the staff of one of our Senators, and they have interns literally assigned to sections to read and highlight areas of interest, but they are going to be going so fast they will miss lots of real content.

How else would these pork projects get through?

Fred..

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   
should be illegal to vote on something and not know wtf is in it.

I mean do your #ing job you douchenozzles.

link   
should be illegal to vote on something and not know wtf is in it.

I mean do your #ing job you douchenozzles.

link   
Exactly so.......

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Wonder why trump doesn't just sign an eo making it illegal?

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
What bill has ever been read by Congress before a vote ?
They are larger and more complicated than "War and Peace".
For a reason
No one will read em
Does the President read before signing or vetoing ?
Does a duck moo?

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Members of Congress have never read bills. Ever. They have staffers to do that, and then it's usually only so the Congressman or Senator can verify that the things he/she wanted for their state or district is in it.

For spending bills, the outline, numbers, etc. have been agreed upon. It's not uncommon to pass spending bills before the complete text is finished, especially when you are working with short deadlines. In this case, they had to wait for an indication that Trump was likely to sign it, before bothering with drafting the entire final document. The numbers are already in place.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

I realize that the senators cant read all the paperwork that heads their way.
But their staffers need time to read and process the bill and they are not getting that time.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I hope a veto is forthcoming as well, no more of this "we have to pass it so we can find out what's in it" BS. I would like to think that the general public would understand and appreciate that reasoning.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I would expect Trump to not sign the bill since he already went through this once and said he wouldn't sign another bill last minute again. This shutdown will be on the house of representatives, which is currently ran by the Democrats.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The issue is that this is what happened in the past. Lawmakers would amke sure that there was no time and a 'created crisis' such as a shutdown to 'fool' the American people into thinking bipartisan cooperation put through a bill.

Trump has already said he will not sign anything unless he reviews it. They are trying to send it late to pressure him and seems they still have not learned.

He did it the right way. He said he would take responsibility for the first one. The second one is at the feet of the House.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The full text of the 1,200 page bill, along with Executive Summaries, were published by the Appropriations Committee about 1:00am last night. I put a link to it in the other Budget Deal thread.

The staffs have been reading the bill since then, as has the White House. Most of it is verbatim what was approved before Christmas. (It's really 7 bills combined. 6 of the 7 were approved in December. The Homeland Security section is what's different.)

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Seems similar to griping about a rapist not tellin you how they plan to screw you before they get down to business.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Listen to the lies of the past to prevent hysteria in the future.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
I would expect Trump to not sign the bill since he already went through this once and said he wouldn't sign another bill last minute again. This shutdown will be on the house of representatives, which is currently ran by the Democrats.

Oops.

He had no choice. He knew he had lost the battle.

Art of the Deal.... Congress 1 - Trump 0

new topics

top topics

join