It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Infrastructure Even When It Is Not SHTF

page: 1

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Currently most of Montgomery County Ohio, which is to say Dayton, Ohio and surrounding areas lost their water service. More than just a simple break, there is no pressure to deliver water to boil in the northern part of the county and service is now disrupted to a boil advisory to a small part neighboring Greene County.

Total impact so far is around 1/4 million people with both school and work closures. Stores are running out of bottled water. The problem itself has not been found six hours after it occurred, so repairs cannot even begin as yet. Thus for now, no estimate of restoration of service.

These all the sorts of things that legitimate preppers prepare themselves to face...day to day living in modern society.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Stuff like this is the reason I know every inch of territory in a 20 mile radius around where I live.
Some churches still have wells
There is an ice cold , pure water creek within 10 miles that just a few folks know of.
Bottled water?
Would be a dark day when I counted on that.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Very true. Well said!

I am ready for the backlash so here goes

A country's infrastructure should and must be owned by the people for the people.

Business wants to make a big profit and these type of events shows profits before safety ... in this case safety of water supply.

Repairs by business are often marginal with no one wanting to pay out for replacement of big ticket items and eventually you have this problem

Back in the eighties we had problems in the US with infrastructure being old and falling to bits. The warning signs were all there and yet here we are.

As one example, California's idea of infrastructure upgrades was to destroy dams rather than repair them and look at the problems now. Yes, they had greeny excuses but the real problem was financing the dams and no one wanted to put up the funds.

Always remember the industrial revolution, the bit where factory owners maximized profits by using child labor because it was cheaper.

Laws have changed but the primary attitude remains. Profits before the well being of the people.

P

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

A "pure water creek?"

(post by dfnj2015 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 12:22 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

A "pure water creek?"

No such thing, exists. 🙂 All surface water should be treated. There may be a dead animal or person laying in the the stream just out of sight.
edit on 14-2-2019 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 01:40 AM
link   

A "pure water creek?"

You betchya
Comes directly from an underground spring
They dont have pure water springs where you are at ?
I guess I am glad I am country folk then

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

A "pure water creek?"

No such thing, exists. 🙂 All surface water should be treated. There may be a dead animal or person laying in the the stream just out of sight.

Hahahahaha
It comes from an underground spring
City folk.....

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   

A country's infrastructure should and must be owned by the people for the people.

Screw that.

That's why people don't have water now.

Dig a GD well or store water for the pun a rainy day.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Well, they found the break. They have isolated it and have pressurized the system. However boil advisory is still in place. The water may be milky or discolored for several days.

The break was at an area that crossed the Great Miami River thus difficult to find. And while only isolated, the repair cannot happen until after the river goes back down from recent heavy rains.

Only six communities in the entire county had their own water system and even then part of one community was served by part of the City of Dayton water system. Too many eggs in one basket as the numbers went up to 400,000 people impacted at one point.

The pipe itself was a 36” main line, which is why the break was so quick to depressurization and drained water reserves in the lines. This will be a mess that will take a lot of time and responsible actions to correct to help prevent future problems.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Things like this is what got me started, and why I am currently hunting for land further out from the city with well water.
Our politicians at all levels and both major parties have absolutely failed the American people in keeping up the infrastructure.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   
There's always rain water harvesting.

Cheap too.

Can be as simple as a barrel or IBC Tote(cleaned/food grade) to as elaborate as one wants under their homes gutter downspout.

Then RO filter it.

People have options.
edit on 14-2-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I live in a rural setting but also have municipal water available. I opted to stay on my well because the chlorinated water makes an absolutely lousy cup of coffee. Seriously, I don't care to consume chlorinated water. Chlorine kills bacteria but the gut uses bacteria. Can't help but think so many have gastric problems because of chlorinated water.
edit on 14-2-2019 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I have my own 100 foot potable water well and a generator to pump up with. For non potable water there is the stream that runs through my property. Also I'm within walking distance of three springs, straight from the ground, and two public wells with manual hand pumps. Never got sick from drinking any of it. Fresh well and spring water aplenty around these parts. If you know where to look and what to look for, you will find water of varying quality. You can build a filter and a water still out of commonly found materials to purify it. Boiling is also a good idea, but chlorine or iodine tablets are best if you can't filter or distill it.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Nickn3

A "pure water creek?"

Hahahahaha
It comes from an underground spring
City folk.....

City folk. These are the kind of people who have no idea that once they flush the toilet the waste has to be handled down the line. They think that milks comes from little plastic jugs on the shelf at the store.

Some of the best water I've ever drunk came straight from the ground direct to my lips. My first child lived, from infancy for several years, in a place where we drew our drinking water from a well with a bucket, or sometimes got it out of a spring right behind our house.
:
edit on 2019 2 14 by incoserv because: I could

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
a reply to: Ahabstar

Very true. Well said!

I am ready for the backlash so here goes

Business wants to make a big profit and these type of events shows profits before safety ... in this case safety of water supply.

Repairs by business are often marginal with no one wanting to pay out for replacement of big ticket items and eventually you have this problem

Back in the eighties we had problems in the US with infrastructure being old and falling to bits. The warning signs were all there and yet here we are.

As one example, California's idea of infrastructure upgrades was to destroy dams rather than repair them and look at the problems now. Yes, they had greeny excuses but the real problem was financing the dams and no one wanted to put up the funds.

Always remember the industrial revolution, the bit where factory owners maximized profits by using child labor because it was cheaper.

Laws have changed but the primary attitude remains. Profits before the well being of the people.

P

Infrastructure used to be owned by the people. They did not take care of it choosing to spend their money elsewhere. Water lines break, repairs are slapped together, contaminated water is now making its way to your house. There are now regulations for the water. For your safety.
I don't know why it took so long to fix the problem in the OP but with poor planning and no foresight, these things happen.
I work in water treatment and distribution for the government. I have been to small communities and had to fix a lot of the problems they were having. From black water to pink water. If you don't have someone enforcing the rules and regulations, nightmares happen. They are not fun to fix.

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

A "pure water creek?"

You betchya
Comes directly from an underground spring
They dont have pure water springs where you are at ?
I guess I am glad I am country folk then

What do you mean by "pure water"?

top topics

join