It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Bell toll for the A380?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
In fact you can see him at the front of the wing...!!! a reply to: Silentvulcan

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

edit on 12-2-2020 by Silentvulcan because: Double post

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Silentvulcan

Yeah, that's still a hard pass thanks.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Just for you Zaph...more your size..one of my baby’s from a previous job going to a new home...
a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Pretty! I like that airframe. I catch all kinds of interesting things on the road being moved. The strangest was a C-5 nose.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I actually got to blow a couple of A-380 main deck door slides last night as part of mandatory testing, M1R and M2R to be precise. First one was a partial fail due to a suspect door rotary actuator. Second one a mate popped and it went according to plan. We video it from 3 different angles to send to the regulator, from start to finish takes around 8 seconds, the limit is 10. It was interesting watching the playback. In the video I removed the door safety pin but was so used to never arming doors I didn't actually arm it! You can hear my mate say about 4 times "its not in arm", I was too busy worrying about whether the cockpit emergency light switch was in arm, eventually I hear him then do a countdown from 3, "2,3,1", the vagaries of night shift brain!

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Did you guys get to play with the Emirates gear problem?

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   
You mean the Qatar one I assume? I didn't personally but I was there on the day. They took our hangar (reputedly after the Qatar CEO rang up mine and gave him a dressing down about not helping out and demanded our shed) as they needed to jack the aircraft for a gear swing and T/S. I should have taken pics actually but was busy. They flew it up from MEL at 10-12,000ft with the gear locked down as the they couldn't get a retraction. Turns out my old boss worked out that it was being inhibited by a sequencing problem, which was itself being caused by a massive internal actuator leak on the RH WLG bogie tilt actuator. You could hear it clearly and the effect it was having on the hydraulic pumps. Replacement is pretty simple, much like a 747, and you need to bleed at the actuator before bleeding the whole system which is like any aircraft. Its always fun watching a gear swing on a 380 as something that massive ends up so high on jacks. The rule of thumb I use is that you want around 500mm of clearance between the floor and the bottom of the fwd pair of wheels on the wing gear as they hang lowest (think from memory the manual says at least 375mm). The sound is probably the most impressive when you get it high on the jacks, the whole hangar floor begins to softly rumble with a deep base sound and the body gears boom as the oleo lengthens.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Yeah, sorry, I was going by memory. I was wondering what was causing them not to retract. I could only think of a couple things, and one of them was a fairly easy replacement. Gear swing on a -135 was fun. I got to sit in on one in the cockpit, and after the initial retraction the crew chief sat back and said, "it's all yours", even though I was nowhere near qualified for it. I was on comms and swinging the gear while he sat there just chilling and asking the best places to snorkel around the island.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: thebozeian
You mean the Qatar one I assume? I didn't personally but I was there on the day. They took our hangar (reputedly after the Qatar CEO rang up mine and gave him a dressing down about not helping out and demanded our shed) as they needed to jack the aircraft for a gear swing and T/S. I should have taken pics actually but was busy. They flew it up from MEL at 10-12,000ft with the gear locked down as the they couldn't get a retraction. Turns out my old boss worked out that it was being inhibited by a sequencing problem, which was itself being caused by a massive internal actuator leak on the RH WLG bogie tilt actuator. You could hear it clearly and the effect it was having on the hydraulic pumps. Replacement is pretty simple, much like a 747, and you need to bleed at the actuator before bleeding the whole system which is like any aircraft. Its always fun watching a gear swing on a 380 as something that massive ends up so high on jacks. The rule of thumb I use is that you want around 500mm of clearance between the floor and the bottom of the fwd pair of wheels on the wing gear as they hang lowest (think from memory the manual says at least 375mm). The sound is probably the most impressive when you get it high on the jacks, the whole hangar floor begins to softly rumble with a deep base sound and the body gears boom as the oleo lengthens.

Jesus Christ, we may need some sort of subtitles for the two of you so us lesser Av Geeks can follow along LOL

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

We'll sit down one day and write you a dictionary.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I just drill holes and fill them in again so dont ask me

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I used to love doing the blow down checks on the Tornados and Hawks...always a bit of a squeaky bum moment when you operate the emergency blowdown Selector for the first time and watch the new guy’s jump ten foot in the air...!! reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I was up in the jump seat for an engine run on one of our C-135s. They started engines, pushed the power up, and the guy on comms starts screaming to shut it down. They pull power back, and he says everything seems ok. They push power up again and he starts screaming to shut it down. A few minutes later I hear, "It's ok, Chief says it's just St. Elmo's Fire. We're good." Hawaii, at the time, almost never had conditions that would create it so no one had ever seen it. Everyone on the ground was freaking out.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   
A few years ago when on a cope thunder exercise at Eilson AFB I got the chance to go on a KC-135 refuel sortie..got the jump seat for take off and landing and got to lay at the back whilst It was tanking F16’s and F15’s...good times!!! a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   

My last tanker flight was with a buddy of ours. We got to do all kinds of things that would have tied all kinds of people in high places in knots. I did the landing in the boom pod. I posted a video in that thread to give people an idea of what that's like. It's fun as hell; but mildly scary.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I hope this link works if not google A380 storm Dennis:

www.google.co.uk...

It really is sideways!

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Taking off is voluntary...Landing is compulsory..Nice job

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The A380 is dropping faster than the 747. Air France is immediately phasing out their fleet, Lufthansa is phasing out half of their fleet, and Qatar has grounded their fleet for at least a year, and may not bring them back.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 07:19 AM
link   
And in 15 years when the gate slots are all full and they are screaming for an aircraft with more seats to fill limited slots, we will be back at the same point again. I'm calling it now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join