It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are tattoos still cool?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

The Statue of Liberty does not hold the Bible. It's a tablet with the Declaration of Independence.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   

edit on 13-2-2019 by Justso because: dp

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
No, they’re overrated and purely self-concerned.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

But the plain fact is that no one who has a tattoo or several gives a flying crap what you think about it.

Maybe for some, but riddle me this, how many people have tattoos on their back, or their neck or other places that they literally can't see it? It was put in those places just for other people to see it.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Body art is a personal choice. Just like hairstyle or color. The only thing one must (or should) consider beforehand is that it will be permanent (unlike hairstyle/color), or costly to remove if you decide you don't want it anymore.

I am from a tat free family, yet I have one. Not to be "cool" or a "rebel". It is a uniquely personal design that I spent 6 months to a year to decide upon and sketch out.

I have it for two reasons.

1. It is a personal statement of my internal beliefs that I needed while experiencing a crossroads in my life.

2. It is a significant identifier in the event of an accident or other tragedy (to identify my body).

Frankly, I don't care why others do it, nor not. That is not for me to judge. Even if it was on an impulse, that is their decision and they need to live with that personal responsibility.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I agree completely.
My question was will the soon to be majority of people with tattoos change the mindset back to being ink free?

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Tattoos at one time werea status symbol of someone rebellious. Now they are a symbol of someone nonrebellious.

Tattoos are not cool or trendy... These days there are more people with tattoos than without. It's become this means to belong to something...Anything.

I love listening to two tools talk about their tribal bands they have on their biceps. How "lit" it looks and that he payed $500 dollars for something that looks like a Rorschach test on his arm...

A few tattoos are fine.
But if they are your identity...
If it's your conversation starter.
If it's how you met your partner.
You've missed the point.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
At least if you are a victim at an accident your body can be more easily identified if you have a tattoo welded on you somewhere.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I think some look nice. Just depends. My wife has a large tattoo on her back. She can hide it though and regrets it now, but I like it. It is subtle and sexy imho.

Some tattoos designs look fadish and didn't age well. Tribal tattoos look about as fashionable as acid wash and boot cut jeans now. Throw in some square toe shoes and maybe a Von Dutch t-shirt.

I know all these new age mumble rappers with face tattoos are going to be regretting those even more than the people who got tribal tattoos on their arms...

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Interesting. The need to share with others you encounter your "internal" beliefs and for self indentification in the advent of an "accident?"

The need to share is probably the biggest reason for tattoos, I suspect. The next is to be considered cool.

Probably the biggest reason not to get a tattoo, besides the hassle, pain and cost is privacy. Not everyone wants to share their inner "beliefs" with everyone. Too personal. Don't get the need.

With the advent of DNA, the second is not necessary.

I personally am fascinated with tattoos. I really am thick and don't get it-or the pain.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
"If you want to be ----ing individual, don’t get a tattoo. Every ----er’s got one these days."

Ozzy Osbourne

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No. Everybody who wants to be cool has one, so: no.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso

Interesting. The need to share with others you encounter your "internal" beliefs and for self indentification in the advent of an "accident?"

The need to share is probably the biggest reason for tattoos, I suspect. The next is to be considered cool.

Probably the biggest reason not to get a tattoo, besides the hassle, pain and cost is privacy. Not everyone wants to share their inner "beliefs" with everyone. Too personal. Don't get the need.

With the advent of DNA, the second is not necessary.

I personally am fascinated with tattoos. I really am thick and don't get it-or the pain.

It's a Gothic symbol, a gargoyle (more accurately a grotesque). These were placed upon Gothic cathedrals to ward off the evil spirits entering the temple. Since my body is my own temple, I wanted to replicate that practice. No big deal. If someone sees it and asks, that is my reason. I needed that at a time in my life that lots of bad things were happening...and wanted something that I felt would help my mindset to ward off bad influences.

The side effect is for quick identification purposes. It's a lot easier for a family member to ID that than looking at a DNA sample...duh.

As for the pain, it was no different than the pain you might experience when your arm falls asleep and is in the process of "waking up" and you experience those pins-and-needles. Short lived, tolerable...not life ending by any means.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   
When I was growing up only military and people that rode motorcycles had tattoos. No woman you would date would have a tattoo. For me it is a real turnoff to see a female with a tattoo, but it isn’t their job to imoress me so they can do what they want, but that doesn’t mean I am going to have any respect for them.

ETA: Also, it used to be you didn’t mess with people with tattoos. Now any pussy and even their mom has tattoos. They definitely aren’t cool anymore.
edit on 2019/2/13 by Metallicus because: Eta

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: watchitburn

Thanks. As a basic white girl with a basic white family of basic white blonds with no tats and not wanting such I was starting to feel maybe, less basic. And what about us blonds with natural tats called freckles? Yeah, too boring and basic. Not edgy at all. At least it's cheaper than paying for tattoos, hair color, or piecings-oh, and no pierced ears. A fraidy cat of all things with needles. Again, boring and basic.

Not sure why this is directed to me ....

But yeah, basic bit**es gon be basic.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I have 13 and going in for #14 soon. All are easily covered up with a short sleeve and jeans.

I understand people not liking them. Especially the ones that are a) out there in the open all the time and b) horribly done.

I agree with the "find a reputable artist" but I would go further than that...discuss the tattoo idea with the artist, make sure that the artist is someone that you'd feel comfortable hanging out with, as most sessions last anywhere from an hour (for a tiny tattoo) to several 3 or 4 or even 8 hour sessions. Don't be afraid to tell the artist that his/her design isn't what you're looking for and communicate better the design you want (without being a jerk about it.) And lastly, the tattoo should have some meaning, don't just get it because it's "Cool."

I think that all of my tattoo artist friends would agree with me.

If you ever want a good laugh, follow "suckytattoos" on IG. There's a lot of those "regert" tattoos there. (bad spelling intended.)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and make the claim that anyone who looks down on people with tattoos isn’t cool.
edit on 13-2-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   

No.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and make the claim that anyone who looks down on people with tattoos isn’t cool.

Not really what the op is about.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that anyone who thinks people who look down on tattoos for whatever reason aren't cool, probably has at least one tattoo.

Seriously? This is like saying people who don't like gays for whatever reason simply have to be closeted gays.

Me? I'm on the fence. I know what they look like as you age with them, and it's not pretty, so you better be getting them for more reasons than just their looks. Some folks? Well, let's just say they were out some night and said, "Hold my beer ..." I have a hard time respecting that type of tattoo.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join