It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are tattoos still cool?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
After talking to my future sister in law earlier today and trying my hardest to not look at the fugly tattoo across her chest, I wondered to myself, when will this end?

Her tattoo is like a car wreck, ugly, disgusting, disturbing, so it's hard not to look at the damn thing.

In the not to distant past a tattoo had a bit of wonder associated with it and the people that had them. A symbol of rebellion and individualism would be a fairly good description.

But today..
About half of millennials have tattoos.

shoulditattoo.com...

A tramp stamp is a cliche now.
How long until people without a tattoo are the rebels?

In closing I will give a couple bits of advice.

1. If you insist on inking yourself permanently, please go to a reputable artist. There is nothing worse than ink looking like a 4 yr old did the work.

2. Never go to the parlor drunk or high.
Bad mojo happens..

3. If you get a Chinese symbol placed on your body make sure it doesnt say bbq grill or some other such thing.

I personally dont like tattoos.
Especially as they age and turn to ugly blurs.

So is the craze going to end soon?

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yeah man...

"Ze Plane! Ze Plane Boss!"

That never goes out of style...

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

You know what is cool and rare, to have completely ink free skin, no weird piercing, and natural hair.
Now tell me how many people have that?

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Well, maybe a tatoo in a certain shape utilizing certain inks gives off a frequency that the government can use to track us. Think about it for a while, energy signitures using metals in ink are used all the time. Just cross checking data the government can use these energy signitures to identify who was in a place. Better to have people buy a tatoo than to implant something.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Tattoos that are gotten for the wrong reasons, done impulsively, administered by sub-par artists, or not taken care of properly can be disastrous. But there's a flipside to that as well.

Both of my arms are sleeved. They were both done by incredibly talented artists. One arm's work is about 12 years old, the other is 19. I don't go in the summer sun without wearing SPF 50 sunblock. And just last year both my arms were photographed and featured in 2 seperate tattoo magazines.

I love them and they're a part of me.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
look at the Beebs and you tell me, or Miley. Both toby-stupid look'n. I'm sure some will disagree.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Saw this on Drudge yesterday. It pretty much goes the same way.

At arm’s length: are tattoos finally becoming uncool?

Tats are cool but today's 'fad type' tats suck. Tats used to be a thing of purpose and depth. Now they look like the old lick-on tats you would get out of a gumball machine as a kid. Any old image, any old thing and let's pretend they have meaning....

riiiiight.

Today's fadsters are making them uncool.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   

In my day if you had a tattoo it was either from the Navy or some guy scrapping mom on his shoulder. Well not that restricted byt you get the picture.

There was a notion that body mutilation was a thing of ancient tribes, the head wrapping, the nose piercing, putting bones in the ears, all that stuff but that people for the most part had evolved out of it. Oh so wrong that was.

There was this movie staring Bruce Dern called Tattoo, about a guy in the Korean War who as over there and fell in love with the tattoo art, full budy art and stuff. He learned to do it but when he came back home to the US the only place he could find to do tattoo art was in the seedy skid row parts of town, the bowery and such. Just as tattoo was starting to get trendy, he got a job as an artist not tattooing but painting tattoo symbols on young beautiful models for art books and such. He went nuts after having only been tattooing old men and such.

I sat and watched this latest phenomon pass by from only the rebels then to the teen agers who wanted to look like rebels then to the others who wanted to look likke the wanna bes emulating the rebels. Then of course it became mainstream as did the hoola hoop and beanie babies.

I just guess it goes to show just how unthinking people can be. These folk who put a stud in their tongues, I mean man, dosen't that get in the way of eating? And the cutting of the ear lobes and stretching it out to insert any manner of totem.
I guess it's all flock thinking,

I see much of the liberal movement as well as the Trump movement being of the same thing, people wandering around in this disenfranchising society, looking for something to be a part of.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
There is always going to be a subset of the population who is going to get modified. And we don't much mind that you dislike it.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

You know what is cool and rare, to have completely ink free skin, no weird piercing, and natural hair.
Now tell me how many people have that?

The majority of people on the planet...

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   

About a year ago I came across this young guy in the locker room at the Y. I asked him if I might ask him a question about his full sleeve tattoo. He said sure.

I asked him if his tattoo was a full body tat of the Statue of Liberty.
He said yes it was. I asked for another question and he said sure.

Instead of the face of the Statue of LIberty, did his tatoo have the face of Marilyn Monroe?
He looked at me and smiled saying indeed it was.

I asked him if I might ask one more personal question and he said shoot.

''Is the statue on your arm, instead of holding a bible as does the Statue of Liberty, is your holding a Thompson sub-machine gun. He smiled and nodded happily.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Excallibacca
There is always going to be a subset of the population who is going to get modified. And we don't much mind that you dislike it.

Meh,

You say modified, I say mutilated....

Your body, your choice... I dont judge..

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
In closing I will give a couple bits of advice.

You hate tattoos, yet you are giving advice? "He who no playa da game no maka da rules."

I don't like tattoos. Especially as they age and turn to ugly blurs.

Tattoos haven't done that for fifty years at least. I have one put on in 1971 that is as bold and bright as the day I got it. But the plain fact is that no one who has a tattoo or several gives a flying crap what you think about it. It's not your business. If tattoos bother you so much, go hide somewhere so you don't have to see them.

Your body. Your choice. I don't judge.

Yes, you do judge. What a contradiction! You just spent a whole post judging.
edit on 2/13/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I still think they're cool.

I have some high end ones and I have some that were done in my kitchen.
I like them all the same.

Some I thought a lot about.
Others I got on impulse.

I definitely don't care what other people think about them.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

There is no way your tattoo is as bold and bright as it was 48 years ago, if anything maybe your eyesight is a little worse, especially if it looks anything like your profile pic!

I guess there is no way for us to know unless we had a before and after pic though.
Check out this video, some of these look like cheap tattoos, but some look pretty nice and they are all fading.

edit on 13-2-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

So what exactly did I say that triggered you?

I asked if the trend will end or not.
And I suggested you get quality work done so you won't regret the decision..

If thats offensive to you the artist must have used a short needle to get through your thin skin.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Thanks. As a basic white girl with a basic white family of basic white blonds with no tats and not wanting such I was starting to feel maybe, less basic. And what about us blonds with natural tats called freckles? Yeah, too boring and basic. Not edgy at all. At least it's cheaper than paying for tattoos, hair color, or piecings-oh, and no pierced ears. A fraidy cat of all things with needles. Again, boring and basic.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Pretty dissappointing huh...... Thanks
edit on 13-2-2019 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Don't be so hard on them. Our current society pushes conformity of thought so hard that what else do they have express their individuality with?

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Thirty years ago I worked with a guy who was basically a skinhead. He had many tattoos but the biggest one was some Chinese writing across his back. I asked him what it meant and he told me it said, "trust only your own kind."
I asked him how many "of his own kind" could read it (he's 100% Irish) and he looked puzzled. Then I asked him if even he was sure that was what it said, for all anyone knows it could say "stupid white boy" or "KICK ME". The look on his face was priceless

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join