It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is fishy about this Appropriations Bill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com... 1-763619f12cb4_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f9e3ba711c27 still cant find the bill number but this is WAPO take on the matter

ODDS AND ENDS Since the bill is a must-pass vehicle, it’s serving as a locomotive to pull a host of miscellaneous provisions into law. There’s an extension of a Medicaid provision on home- and community-based nursing care, grants for the poor under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program and funding fixes to a trust fund that finances dredging and maintenance or ports and harbors. For fans of the truly obscure, there’s a provision to exempt sugar beet trucks in rural Oregon from length limits.
so there are a few obscure things getting tossed in but i dont think the media has a copy yet

thehill.com... the Hills take

Disaster aid Negotiators said they put off the question of disaster aid, which had become a sticking point in the funding negotiations. The accumulated damage from two years of hurricanes, floods and wildfires has created a need for massive levels of disaster aid. Democrats have proposed adding $7.2 billion in disaster relief funding to help recovery efforts from hurricanes in Texas and Florida, as well as wildfires in California. One of the main points of contention was how much aid to give to Puerto Rico, which is still recovering from Hurricane Maria’s devastating effects from when it made landfall in 2017. Before Democrats took control of the House last month, Republicans included $7.8 billion for disaster aid in a December spending package that ultimately failed in the Senate. Democrats passed their own disaster aid package to the tune of $12.1 billion. That measure never made it through the GOP-controlled Senate.
disaster aid seems good but it seems this is gonna be one expensive bill no matter what it contains

and lastly we find a small "poison" pill legislation that appears to want to bar trump from shifting money from other programs to his wall plan an example being from army corps of engineers budget fortune.com...

Funding Sources Other sources of money that have been discussed in varying degrees of seriousness include military construction funds, Army Corps of Engineers projects and money forfeited by convicted criminals. Any attempt to shift money is likely to trigger a new round of battles. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York and other Democrats insist that Trump would be barred from making transfers without congressional approval under restrictions in the new deal, and the matter could wind up in court. “I think that’s the place where it’s likely to go, but I can’t tell you that that’s the course that we’ll follow,” said Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois, the No. 2 Democratic leader.
still no bill number and i havent been able to find it anywhere

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
He should veto this and tell them to balance the budget. Shut down the Federal Government to they can get their act together and not say

"Mr President this is all you get and not a penny more...." Holding a country hostage based on hate and greed which is what they try to pin on Mr Trump.

The very sad thing is that Trump is trying to do it the right way. I would veto and then introduce an EO or emergency declaration and move forward.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Also, Trump said when it hits his desk, he is going to go thru it and add what he wants that isn't in it.

Can he do that? just add things before he signs it or I presume it would have to go back to the house and senate to be voted on again?

Fox just said Trump isn't signing it!

How do they know this or is this fox news telling him not to sign it? Seems like before the shutdown he was ready to sign a bill until fox news told him not too...

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Shut It Down !

Shut It ALL Down !!

Shut It ALL Down Now !! 😎

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   
www.npr.org... some updates apparently there is language to say where barriers wont be allowed to go which i dont see trump being a fan of

Another lawmaker involved in the talks, Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Texas, told reporters that final details were still being worked out. He said a critical breakthrough for him was securing protections against physical barriers for five areas in the Rio Grande Valley, where the new fencing will go up. Those five areas include: a SpaceX site, the National Butterfly Center, La Lomita Historical Park, Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park and the Santa Ana Wildlife Refuge. "It was extremely difficult. It's been difficult, but the Senate and everybody has been agreeable to get there. I represent those areas and wanted those protections, and we got it," Cuellar told reporters.
so that area is getting some barriers but not ones that will all connect?

www.theguardian.com...:blo ck-5c648cb6e4b042feedcbd659 gaurdians take on the matter but dosent say much and is mostly a summary of "trump news" and general politics going on at the moment

www.wtrf.com...

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Latest on congressional border security negotiations and President Donald Trump (all times local): 4:45 p.m. U.S. active-duty troops from dozens of units around the country are flowing to the southern border, as part of the latest plan to send 3,750 new forces to beef up surveillance and install more wire barriers. As of this week, the military had installed about 105 miles of wire barriers along the border, and plans to put in another 140 miles of concertina wire. The bulk of that will be in California and Arizona, in locations between ports of entry that are identified by U.S. Customs and Border Protection as vulnerable. Many of the troops who have been serving on the border mission are going home. As of Monday, there were a bit more than 2,000 active-duty forces there. That number is expected to go up to more than 4,300.
so while all the debate over the bill is going on trump has had the military building barriers(razor wire) and is sending more troops to speed up the process so may not be a wall perse but razor wire is not the most fun thing to interact with

www.politico.com... politico take but it seems almost NO one has seen the bill but vote is expected Thursday assuming all the deals can be worked out

But with some big sticking points still remaining in the ongoing negotiations, including how to extend the expiring Violence Against Women Act, House Appropriations Chairwoman Nita Lowey warned that the package's release could get pushed back to Thursday. “There’s a long list of all kinds of things in there,” the New York Democrat said during an interview with Bloomberg Television. “Anything could stop the deal at this late stage.” And in the absence of bill text, there has been some confusion about what's actually in and out of the deal. Another unresolved issue is whether to include backpay for federal contractors affected by the 35-day government shutdown, but Republicans are under the impression that Trump wouldn't support that provision. “I’m told the president won’t sign that," said Rep. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.). On VAWA, McConnell claimed Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) "is objecting to a modest extension” of VAWA, adding, “This authority will expire this Friday. Republicans believe that we should follow standard procedure and extend this important legislation through the end of this fiscal year, which is about seven months.” Democrats countered that McConnell and the White House are objecting to pay for federal contractors, a big issue for Democrats. The most important question mark still centers on whether Trump will support the deal. Facing a barrage of questions from their conference, House GOP leaders said that Trump has indicated that he would sign the package — giving cover to some Republicans skeptical of a deal that has been lambasted by conservative commentators. Trump has yet to publicly say he'd sign the bill, but hinted Wednesday that he is leaning in that direction, while also praising Republicans for their effort on border security.

theweek.com... the week seems to imply that the deal is "unraveling" so no idea what is gonna happen at this point

www.politico.com... this is also one of the sticking points of contention it seems

Democrats' leading proposal, drafted by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas, would expand the law to protect victims of domestic violence and stalking from being evicted from their homes. More controversially, it would also include “red flag” provisions, which tighten gun laws for people convicted of dating violence and stalking. Advocates like the National Task Force to End Sexual and Domestic Violence have opposed short-term extensions, insisting that Congress focus on upgrading the law.
not sure how its relevant (the eviction portion) as i guess evictions tend to be done by the landlord unless they mean kicked out by their abuser?

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

My idea on the whole thing is these Congresspeople are scrambling to do anything possible to come up with some trickery to prevent them actually writing any laws to solve our immigration crisis.

That's what lifetime politicians do. They argue the same topics campaign after campaign making it seem they care about the issue. When in reality, it's just a show to raise money to be reelected. If they actually solved the issues they wouldn't have anything to run on.

Exactly, just like a finely tuned machine.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I too wonder what will be in it. The bipartisan committee spent quite a few days coming up with the outline. Surely trump is not going to settle for a smaller amount than was offered before he starved a million folks for 5 billion.

A big part of me can see that potus wants his support more than he wants a wall.

I hope they let hr420 ride along...............

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I hope he and his staff go through with a fine toothed comb...although I believe I did hear he planned to look for "land mines" in the Bill

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
At the moment, Democrats are working to get the "Violence Against Women" act beefed up in the Bill.

www.politico.com...

Hey Democrats, What about protections to stop murdering babies, and deaths from illegal-aliens?

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: UncleTomahawk
I too wonder what will be in it. The bipartisan committee spent quite a few days coming up with the outline. Surely trump is not going to settle for a smaller amount than was offered before he starved a million folks for 5 billion.

A big part of me can see that potus wants his support more than he wants a wall.

I hope they let hr420 ride along...............

Well if there's no restrictions on the wall money Trump can immediately after signing it declare a national emergency and get the wall built. Immediately pissing the Dems off and getting a Win.
After 6 months or less after the SC declares this constitutional There is another filled promise to the American people.
Oh yall do know the wall is under construction as we speak right?
This isnt Trump caving.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

"Mr President this is all you get and not a penny more...." Holding a country hostage based on hate and greed which is what they try to pin on Mr Trump.

The very sad thing is that Trump is trying to do it the right way. I would veto and then introduce an EO or emergency declaration and move forward.

Exactly my feelings also. I'm really sick of the Dems holding this country hostage with this "Do as we say or we continue selling this country out", its BS. They're willing to allow this country to go to chit to get what they want. States like Ca, Wa, Il and NY have basically given the rest of the country the middle finger and continue doing what ever the hell they want to do with no regards as to the detrimental repercussions they have on other states. A lot of their decisions effect the rest of this country as a whole and they could care less as long as they're getting their way.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: TheRedneck

Also, Trump said when it hits his desk, he is going to go thru it and add what he wants that isn't in it.

What? Literally unconstitutional. If congress sends him a bill he can't just add and take away from it as he pleases and then sign it. He can veto it and provide an explanation on why he vetoed it but he can't alter the bill that congress passed.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

No, he can't alter the bill, but he can use other powers of his office to get what he needs in addition to what he gets in the bill.

Let's stick with not putting words in his mouth, K?

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

and lastly we find a small "poison" pill legislation that appears to want to bar trump from shifting money from other programs to his wall plan an example being from army corps of engineers budget

If that is in there, Trump does not need to sign the bill in any way. That's nothing more than the Establishment trying to stop the wall, again!

At this point, I doubt I will ever, under any circumstances, vote for a Democrat again. Sneaky, elitist low-lifes, the lot of them.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   
DJT has repeatedly said that he has not seen the whole funding bill yet but liked some of the changes he had seen.

In United States government, the line-item veto, or partial veto, is the power of an executive authority to nullify or cancel specific provisions of a bill, usually a budget appropriations bill, without vetoing the entire legislative package.

Seems rather bizarre to include clauses that attempt to limit a potential "national emergency"?
If there is covert funding involved later would that be in addition to the $1.375 Billion in the bill, or is the suggested interpretation that the $1.375 Billion would be completely retracted if covert funding occurs?

All kinds of possible subtleties for the groom team to consider before signing so it might be wise to look at the larger picture not just the wall issue.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

The detention centers are for the illegals already here who have been apprehended and are awaiting deportation.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Too bad the "immigration crisis" is wholly manufactured by trumps imagination and so no one is going to put too much effort into it. The dummy thinks he can fake his way into getting the wall he never thought he was going to have to account for because he never thought he would win.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Too bad the "immigration crisis" is wholly manufactured by trumps imagination and so no one is going to put too much effort into it. The dummy thinks he can fake his way into getting the wall he never thought he was going to have to account for because he never thought he would win.

So "manufactured" that Democrats want to limit cell space for illegals captured by ICE.

Democrat/Cloward/Piven power play exposed along with all their other little poison pill bull🤫t.

🤣🐔🤣

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Lindsey Graham was on Fox earlier.

According to him, Trump has money he can access for the wall without going through the courts or declaring a National Emergency. He also said there was now no limitation on ICE beds, and he didn't mention anything about limiting Trump's Presidential authority to divert funds.

Fox is also reporting that as of now, there is still no published version of this bill. Apparently it is still not finalized, despite it being about 24 hours from the deadline that Congress set. Trump has said he will not sign it until he reads it over, so this might be a minor shutdown in the works no matter what is in it, just because Congress is waiting till the last minute.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join