It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is fishy about this Appropriations Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I've been watching the recent circus performance around funding Homeland Security, and something just isn't setting right with this new deal the Congress seems to have worked out. Yeah, I know Trump has indicated he will likely sign it (without stating so directly), and I know the Republicans are urging him to do so, but...

It sounds to me like they haven't even finished writing the bill yet!

I know last night when I went to bed, the news was reporting that the House was still adding amendments. I am assuming they haven't finished yet, but even if they have passed it, the Senate has to pass it. That means more amendments. Who has had time to even read the thing? I don't think it is even published yet in its final form.

So how can anyone decide it's a good bill when it isn't even finalized? Alexandria Cortez might include an amendment to make gasoline illegal tomorrow, Mad Maxine might include an amendment to prohibit anyone with the last names of "Trump" or "Pence" from holding the Office of President, Cory Booker might include an amendment to make meat illegal in the US, and whats-her-name might include a rider to make Judaism illegal. So without even knowing what will be in it, Trump has to sign it? Because the Republicans said so? The same Republican party that last year promised him funding for the wall that never materialized? The same Republican party that includes Richard Shelby, who thinks he gets to personally approve who the voters in Alabama elect? That Republican party?

I know I have been pretty vocal lately about the corruption and shenanigans rampant in the Democratic party, but make no mistake: I don't trust the Republicans as far as I can throw them, either. This last minute rush has "ESTABLISHMENT" written all over it.

I know from reports that the bill is said to include $1.375 billion for 55 miles of border wall/fence/barrier/stack of Twinkies. It also has money for 45 thousand some-odd detention beds for ICE. I have heard someone offered an amendment to pay Federal contractor employees for the previous shutdown (which I support). But what all else is in it? Does anyone know?

Can we at ATS put our collective heads together and figure all this out before we Pelosi* this thing?

*Pelosi, as in "we have to pass it to find out what's in it."

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Also, Trump said when it hits his desk, he is going to go thru it and add what he wants that isn't in it. Do we have the names of the RINO's yet who are pushing for Trump to approve it? It would be nice to see those names as to make sure this is their last term in office. Of course that would be up to those voters in their states to actually vote them out.
edit on 13-2-2019 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Poor work from Congress, as usual.

It also has money for 45 thousand some-odd detention beds for ICE

45,000 beds?

Sounds like we need a good barrier at the border not a large Motel 8 run by the feds.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The corruption is reaking. For all of Trump's boasting, he has certainly gone radio silent for his quick change of posturing.

The few details that have emerged in this melding of ideas, just to keep the government from shutting down again, should be very concerning for those that want/need a secure border.

Certainly does appear that Trump's agenda has been compromised. Will he use El Chapo's money or an EO to fund his dream wall?

Glad someone is calling out this compromised bill. Looks like another to make everyone happy, except the voters.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
All bills turn out to be "fishy". Every bill is fair game for pork barrel amendments that have absolutely no relationship to or with the original purpose of the bill. That needs to be changed but they will never ban this practice because that is the only way the crooks can fund their worthless pet projects and pay off their political contributors.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I wouldn't go so far as to say RINOs... as I have said many times, the only reason it's the Democrats who are in the crosshairs is because they happen to be the worst problem at this time. Anyone who thinks the Republicans can't go just as crazy is fooling themselves.

I just don't trust Shelby any more since he said during the Roy Moore circus that the Senate might not seat the person we sent to DC. That's not the place of our Representatives, to tell us who else we should send. They represent us; we do not work for them. I'm gonna look seriously at trying to get his butt primaried in 2022, especially if this turns out to be a trap for Trump.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I heard their is 3.6 million in there to study the effect of butterfly farts on the average rainfall decrease in blue states.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel
The dems want less beds as well.
That is why the 45k is less than what the repubs wanted.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

I wouldn't go so far as to say RINOs... as I have said many times, the only reason it's the Democrats who are in the crosshairs is because they happen to be the worst problem at this time. Anyone who thinks the Republicans can't go just as crazy is fooling themselves.

I just don't trust Shelby any more since he said during the Roy Moore circus that the Senate might not seat the person we sent to DC. That's not the place of our Representatives, to tell us who else we should send. They represent us; we do not work for them. I'm gonna look seriously at trying to get his butt primaried in 2022, especially if this turns out to be a trap for Trump.

TheRedneck

Fox just said Trump isn't signing it!

What Graham was pushing was for Trump to sign it and take cash from other areas where he has the authority as President and appropriate that money towards the wall. I am against that because it is a win for our worthless congress for not doing their job and fixing our broken immigration system for 30 years and allow them to continue to do so. Also as we have seen, anything Trump tries to do is locked down by an activist judges in our so called judicial system.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Question: where does one research pending bills in Congress? I am checking thehill.com, but dont see anything.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
One Congressman said yesterday that wording was being added that prevents President Trump from declaring a national emergency to finish building the wall, after he signs the funding bill.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Question: where does one research pending bills in Congress? I am checking thehill.com, but dont see anything.

Govtrack]]]]

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Thanks!

Actually, I found that website but I cant find which bill is being discussed.

Got a number?

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Thanks!

Actually, I found that website but I cant find which bill is being discussed.

Got a number?

I sure don't. I imagine all they have are stacks of paper with random statement that look something like a stoner with the munchies try to come out with the next AWESOME food recipe?

We probably won't get to see it until it is written in enough legaleze it won't be understandable to the anyone but a lawyer with a 12 legal aides.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

ShutDown Looming !!

🤯

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Also, Trump said when it hits his desk, he is going to go thru it and add what he wants that isn't in it. Do we have the names of the RINO's yet who are pushing for Trump to approve it? It would be nice to see those names as to make sure this is their last term in office. Of course that would be up to those voters in their states to actually vote them out.
Isn't there a thing called 'Line item veto' that was enacted a few years ago, to safeguard against these hacks that would load up pork?

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

Isn't there a thing called 'Line item veto' that was enacted a few years ago, to safeguard against these hacks that would load up pork?

I think it still exists however, I am not sure the plan (draft) even fits the description of a legal document. Just a list of demands and ideas not put into legal form. My idea on the whole thing is these Congresspeople are scrambling to do anything possible to come up with some trickery to prevent them actually writing any laws to solve our immigration crisis. Trump finally put all their feet to the fire to solve a problem with our system and we can see they don't want to solve or fix the problem?

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

My idea on the whole thing is these Congresspeople are scrambling to do anything possible to come up with some trickery to prevent them actually writing any laws to solve our immigration crisis.

That's what lifetime politicians do. They argue the same topics campaign after campaign making it seem they care about the issue. When in reality, it's just a show to raise money to be reelected. If they actually solved the issues they wouldn't have anything to run on.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
All bills turn out to be "fishy". Every bill is fair game for pork barrel amendments that have absolutely no relationship to or with the original purpose of the bill. That needs to be changed but they will never ban this practice because that is the only way the crooks can fund their worthless pet projects and pay off their political contributors.

You get it. I'm surprised at how many others don't get it.

Ever see negative adds stating that "Candidate X is against feeding children?" Also earmarked on that bill would have been pork spending for "XYZ" corporation or some other ridiculous rider.

Bills get passed that have good intentions and horrible riders every single time.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

It was talked about years ago but the lazy bastards only talked and never passed anything to enforce their useless rhetoric. They aren't going to do anything that subverts their ability to get pork passed to pay back their benefactors. You thought they passed a bill preventing that? Silly boy/girl!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join