It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost Time To Fire Up Your Grills And Cook Some SLIME BURGERS!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Huh? Well, I was wondering the same thing, until I read several articles concerning this topic today. Pink slime is the stuff that McDonalds stopped using in late 2011. For those who don't know, pink slime is bits of meat that is scraped from fat that was trimmed away from the bone.

It’s what he refers to as the last bits of cow that are scraped or centrifugally removed from cow parts that are usually considered inedible when the rest of the edible parts have been removed. These cow parts are ground together and cleaned with ammonium hydroxide — because without the chemical treatment, it would be dangerous to eat because it contains bacteria. The slime is then added to other fillers

www.mnn.com...

So, how safe is ammonium hydroxide?

Besides being used as a household cleaner and in fertilizer, the compound releases flammable vapors, and with the addition of certain acids, it can be turned into ammonium nitrate, a common component in homemade bombs.

www.mnn.com...

It's important to note, that some countries, like England and Ireland have banned ammonium hydroxide for use in food. There was a big controversy back in 2012, when it was reported that 70 percent of supermarket ground beef contained pink slime and that the USDA was buying 7 million pounds of beef that contained pink slime for our nation's schools.

ABC News reports that 70 percent of supermarket ground beef contains pink slime. I had no idea. Now I’m really glad I know where my ground beef comes from. It’s not just in supermarket ground beef. The USDA is buying 7 million pounds of beef that contains pink slime for our nation's schools according to Yahoo. That’s one really great reason to pack your kids’ lunches.

www.mnn.com...

In 2012, people were outraged that this product was being served to their kids at school and 223,000 signed a petition on Change.org. It didn't matter, because Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack decided to let schools decide whether to serve the product to their kids.

From a 2012 article:

Enough people were upset about it that a petition on Change.org, which was started on March 7, already has more than 223,000 signatures. The petition asks Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack to “put an immediate stop to the use of ‘pink slime’ in our children’s school food.”

Under the change to be announced Thursday, schools will be able to choose between 95 percent lean beef patties made with the product or less lean bulk ground beef without it. The new policy won't affect ground beef at schools until this fall because of existing contracts, according to a USDA official with knowledge of the decision.

www.mnn.com...

Apparently this cr@p is still around. According to the article I read today, the USDA gave the OK for a meat company to label pink slime, or LFTB (lean, finely textured beef), ground beef!!!!

The company that produces the product, Beef Products Inc., called it "lean, finely textured beef" (LFTB). The USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) has given the go ahead for the South Dakota company to label the product ground beef, according to The New Food Economy.

The addition of this substance to ground beef doesn't need to be disclosed on packaging.

it's back in the news now because of the USDA ruling that Beef Products Inc. can call it ground beef. Now that it can be labeled as such, it could conceivably be sold to the public and labeled ground beef, although there don't seem to be immediate plans to do so.

The USDA inspection agency isn't revealing details either. It simply told New Food Economy that the new product "meets the regulatory definition of ground beef under the law in 9 CFR 319.15(a) and may be labeled accordingly."

www.mnn.com...

You know damn well this company will never disclose that their ground beef contains pink slime because of all the controversy surrounding it. So, what does that mean for those of us who love grilling burgers in the summer? It means that we'll have no way of knowing if a product containing ammonium hydroxide is in our beef. The sad part is that the USDA could care less, however, you wouldn't think that if you read this statement from their website:

WASHINGTON, Aug. 29, 2018 — As the head of a public health agency that ensures the safety of meat and poultry, food safety is my number one priority. Americans depend on us to keep their food safe. When you see the USDA mark of inspection, you can have confidence that the products have been inspected and passed – meaning that every carcass has been inspected, samples have been taken by USDA inspectors and analyzed by scientists in a USDA laboratory, and the labeling is truthful and not misleading.

www.fsis.usda.gov...

My response to this statement:
[snipped]

edit on 2/12/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Feb 12 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: Terms And Conditions

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

And they wonder why we are soon as a country going to have to change our cancer rate to 1 in 2.

Don't get me wrong, I am an odd girl out in that the only meat I normally eat is wild game.

HOWEVER.

If you are going to eat meat, at least pick meat that isn't THAT.

S&F for the OP... a solid post that should make people think about the topic.

edit on 12-2-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
You want to know where it is? Look at your highly processed foods that you find in the frozen foods aisle or look at the stuff they sell you at places like Dollar Tree.

Wolfe Pit does a whole series on YouTube that taste tests stuff like that.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
You work for Burger King!!

Seriously though. I haven't had fast food in 3 or 4 years. Honestly, Taco Bell a few times.
It's horrible..You feel MUCH better cooking your own food, if you can trust that even

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I remember a tv show, with jamie something or other.

He was showing a bunch of kids what was in chicken nuggets. (Chicken pink slime) it was freaking disgusting, he was making a point to gross them out, cooked the crap into nuggets, then asked them who wants one?

Lol shock to him, they all did. They jumped all over them. Yummy!

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabrechucker

Seriously though. I haven't had fast food in 3 or 4 years. Honestly, Taco Bell a few times.
It's horrible..You feel MUCH better cooking your own food, if you can trust that even

Taco Bell should do a little work on their marketing and focus on people with constipation.

What they sell is a cure for it.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This. Epic.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Yep.

Cook your own is almost always a winner so long as you have some cooking skills. We ventured into the world of homemade pho this weekend.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

No kidding, those nacho fries will make the toilet nacho friend

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Vietnamese food (yes I looked it up, had no idea what it was) sounds pretty good, is it spicy?

I am a pretty good cook, I think. I like to keep it simple, Meat and potatoes.

Make a hamburger with bacon and cheddar infused, to compliment a sweet potato hollowed out like a pumpkin stuffed with cream corn. Good stuff

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   
SMH...you're not safe from "fillers" even if you're buying organic stuff. That's why I'm starting to grow more veggies in my garden for my family, as well as cutting my burger intake...still love my smoked ribs and shoulder butt!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Nothing is safe man..as I look at my dog suspiciously..

It is pretty messed up what they've done to us. Maybe when spring breaks I'll just eat my yard, wait.. they sprayed that too!

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
I remember a tv show, with jamie something or other.

He was showing a bunch of kids what was in chicken nuggets. (Chicken pink slime) it was freaking disgusting, he was making a point to gross them out, cooked the crap into nuggets, then asked them who wants one?

Lol shock to him, they all did. They jumped all over them. Yummy!

I saw that one too. Jamie Oliver.
I think I also remember him breaking down and crying, because of how little the kids knew about real food.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

And they wonder why we are soon as a country going to have to change our cancer rate to 1 in 2.

Don't get me wrong, I am an odd girl out in that the only meat I normally eat is wild game.

HOWEVER.

If you are going to eat meat, at least pick meat that isn't THAT.

S&F for the OP... a solid post that should make people think about the topic.

Like you I dont eat store bought meat. I grew up eating pork and chicken from one Grandpas farm and beef from my other Grandpas farm. As soon as I was old enough to hunt on my own I started filling the family freezer with Elk, Deer, Moose and even Caribou on occasion (had to go to the Yukon for that though lol).

Tried store bought beef for the first time when I was about 23. To say I was disgusted would be a fairly big understatement. Smells and tastes tank.

The only time I ever eat store bought meat is if its Turkey (although in recent years I just buy one from the local Hutterites or Mennonites instead) or if I'm eating at someone elses place or at a restaurant.

I feel sorry for people that eat that crap on the regular.

Nothing better than eating meat that you killed and dressed yourself.

When society crumbles me and mine will be eating veggies we grew and a juicy elk steak while the city folk will be eating each other.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yep.

Cook your own is almost always a winner so long as you have some cooking skills. We ventured into the world of homemade pho this weekend.

My first crack at homemade Pho was an utter disaster lol.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:08 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

Vietnamese food (yes I looked it up, had no idea what it was) sounds pretty good, is it spicy?

I am a pretty good cook, I think. I like to keep it simple, Meat and potatoes.

Make a hamburger with bacon and cheddar infused, to compliment a sweet potato hollowed out like a pumpkin stuffed with cream corn. Good stuff

Pho is amazing.

It can be spicy. Or not. It's up to the person eating it really.

Delicious stuff.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Funny, I just seasoned my pork loin with SBR's this past weekend (sweet and spicy) with cracked peppercorn and sea salt.
But, Robots don't need food..do they?

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Carcharadon

I like spicy with flavor, not burn my esophagus for no good reason. I think I have it all in house, maybe I'll stew it up this week.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabrechucker

Depends on how you define spicy. If you simply mean very seasoned, yes. If you mean, lip searing, sinus scorching heat ... no.

It was sort of funny, the broth takes about 6 to 8 hours (at least) to make by itself and uses cinnamon and star anise and charred ginger and onions and stuff in it, so the house smelled like burned stuff and Christmas and boiling beef bones all at once all day when we did it. Our 8-year-old was running around grousing, "Ugh, smells like cat pee!" So maybe that's where the whole Chinese restaurant/cat thing comes from.

edit on 12-2-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join