It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Target app price change scam

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
My wife came across a video that pissed her off.
After watching it I can understand why.

The gist of the story is that when you are in the parking lot at target, the app shows you the online price.
Then when you enter the store the app changes the price to the in store price,,,, always higher of course.

Give the video a look, it's only a few minutes long.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Turn off location services for the app, it’s under privacy on IOS devices.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
low really low this will cost target when this gets around

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
In all fairness, when you aren't in a store, what price should it show? I think any reasonable person would suggest the online price in that situation. While it may lead to confusion, it is hardly a scam.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Turn off location services for the app, it’s under privacy on IOS devices.

That does work but when you do that the app no longer guides you around the store to find the item you are looking for.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It seems like every time I walk into target, i walk out empty handed. They never have the things I'm looking for or they're out of stock.

I also feel many stores label bogus high price tags on specific merchandise and than label them at 30% or 40% off etc.... I've calculated the discounts on many of them just to discover after the discount they're actually the retail price or just a little less! Not really the discount many people think they're getting.

I also find it odd when stores are going out of business, they do much of the same thing. I could be wrong, but it certainly seems like a scam.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

They likely all do it. I figured out years ago that Best Buy charges you more if you don't print the screen from their site and have it with you. Happened many times in fact.

I started just printing the screen and having it in hand. They ring up the item for a higher price, you show it to them and then they lower the price. When I complained, they blamed it on a glitch, but it's been pretty much every time and on expensive items also.

More or less the same thing.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Welcome to Target trickery.
Bump.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Dirty thieves !!

They think everybody has a target on their backs !!

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Target is an unethical company.

Years ago my son worked there as a teen. He had a day off and we both ran into Target to pick up a few items.

The managers and co-workers were there. One supervisor even said to him "what are you doing here on your day off?" I heard it with my own ears. We were leaving and as we were checking out a cashier at another register fell down hard.
My son ran over to see if she was ok and help lift her.

The next morning he was fired. They said he was supposed be in on that day he had off. No way, I even heard his supervisor say it. As a mom of teen I know to not always believe what they say, but that day I had heard it with my own ears.

I am absolutely convinced that he was fired because he saw the accident first hand and tried to help.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

They lost me as a customer with their bathroom policy. However, I am not surprised to see the greedy bastards trying to rip off consumers.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I have a similar problem with Home Depot. I was at Lowes buying lumber, and I decided to check Home Depot on my phone to see if their prices were cheaper. I was amazed at the price of the lumber. So I packed up at Lowe’s and went over to Home Depot. When I got there the wood was no more cheaper than over at Lowe’s. And I asked about it, and the lady said that it gave me a price for a different store. I didn’t bother checking it though , I just thought it was a pretty low thing to do, But hey they probably didn’t mean anything by it.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   
They all do it- any national company.

Target was caught probably a decade ago linking their spyware to their mailing lists, though, when they mailed some sort of "expecting mother" spam to the teenage expecting mothers parents house.

They had analyzed her shopping patterns, deducted she was pregnant, and sent that accurate information to marketing.

Marketing had mailing information and sent customized fliers.

Great marketing, huge invasion of privacy.
The father was unimpressed.

That was many years ago, now.
From a public company.

Just imagine what your governments are up to- with access to total browsing history, tax information, location data... ... ... .....

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
It seems like every time I walk into target, i walk out empty handed. They never have the things I'm looking for or they're out of stock.

I also feel many stores label bogus high price tags on specific merchandise and than label them at 30% or 40% off etc.... I've calculated the discounts on many of them just to discover after the discount they're actually the retail price or just a little less! Not really the discount many people think they're getting.

I also find it odd when stores are going out of business, they do much of the same thing. I could be wrong, but it certainly seems like a scam.

No, you're absolutely right. Surprising, but I was at Walmart earlier today and while I'm waiting on my wife, I decided to poke into the clearance section to see if there was anything good or decent on sale. I ended up seeing a survival / Med kit that was pretty nice, so I go to check the price, only to find out that it wasn't really "on sale" at all. It said "Was $27.00 Now $27.00".
Like wth?
There was only 2-3 items throughout that entire clearence section that I saw that was actually on sale, and only by .88¢.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   
edit on 12-2-2019 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Sneaky no doubt and certainly target isnt the only one.

However when im in target or bestbuy or etc i compare to OTHER stores online and amazon then ask for a price match.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Hate them. My daughter almost died from an allergic reaction in the store first day on the job. She was a teenager and they refused to help her or let her leave. She called me and I said leave - now. By the time she got to the hospital she stopped breathing. They took no responsibility for her almost dying. No one in my family shops there and it has been over a decade.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 04:08 AM
link   
This is 100% true and it wasn’t like this before. I used to work at target, just recently quit around thanksgiving because it’s SUCH a shady company now. And the reason for why they do this is because then you can’t price match to the online price when your app is showing the same as the in store price. Other stores do this also but target is just really shady in general. To do a price match you have to have proof that the price online is lower and they won’t accept screenshots. And they have an app on their iPad at guest service to look up the price and it probably shows the same in store price.

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Most all apps are spyware...even simple, seemingly innocuous apps that have nothing to do with retail are datamining you. And it's not just location services--it's also the time of day you access the app, how often you access it, and the choices you make within it.

All this is automatically databased to "improve your [shopping/workout/etc.) experience," according to the app's provider. Right. All this information is not only used by the app's provider, it is also sold for profit.

Your habits and patterns of life are gold to advertisers.

Give me convenience, or give me death!

posted on Feb, 13 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
All major stores do this. Especially the price hacking... Kohl's is excellent for that. They'll raise the price of a pair of pants by 60% and then give you a 20% discount LOL! Target, CVS, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes. They all do it. One way I get around that is I simply take a screen shot of the item w/sale or discounted price on-line. I also do a quick search for the product being sold cheaper, then I go into the store with my ammo. I always win.

I have always haggled with these places too and you wouldn't believe how many deals and freebees I've gotten over the years LOL!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join