It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cory Booker says This Planet Simply Can’t Sustain People Eating Meat

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: thedigirati

Generally eggs you get from store are underutilized so more accurate quote would be eating a fowl` period.
edit on 14-2-2019 by proteus33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: FataMorgana
Sustainability isn't a problem as long as we're all willing to lose our humanity in the process of "satisfying" the increase in demand. Little is said about the actual methods that slaughterhouses will be using in the future to do so.

-snip-
At least we have a choice.

Yes, we have a choice, but you seem to be under the mistaken presumption that there are only two - to eat meat or not to eat meat.

There is at least one more. We've been buying our meat by the cow from a local farmer who uses fully sustainable and extremely humane practices, both in raising their animals (the farm pigs and chickens too) and in their slaughter. The highest quality grass-fed/finished beef, pastured pork, etc, and when buying by the entire animal, the cost is dramatically less than what you pay for grass fed in the stores (currently ours comes out to an average of about $6/lb. Grass-fed filets in the stores can run $25+/lb.

(post by smkymcnugget420 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
Hunter-Gatherers, primitivists, Natives etc all hunted only what they required and didn't waste anything

Interesting historical fact (as pteridine mentioned): At times, Indians used everything. But on occasions they did not, and the observers remarked upon "putrified carcasses," animals left untouched, or Indians who took only "the best parts of the meat." Sometimes Indians were said to kill "whole herds" only for the fat-filled tongues."

Buffalo Tales: The Near-Extermination of the American Bison
edit on 14-2-2019 by saint4God because: reference

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I'm unclear why there is vitriol in the responses here.

Republicans: The Democrats want to split their own party between omnivores and herbivores? How is this a political negative?

Democrats: You've got more variety to choose a candidate to represent your lifestyle.

Independents and Other Political Parties: Source of innovative ideas for the two party system to adopt. If they're popular enough, they'll make it onto one of the major party tickets.

Omnivores: Herbivores want to save the animals (for omnivores).

Herbivores: You now have a choice with inflated Whole Foods groceries and overpriced restaurants. Maybe buying more will drop the price.

I do believe in treating animals as humanely as possible, supporting the efforts of Certified Humane. I've met people food pushing from all sides: omnivores, vegetarian, and vegan (herbivores). I find it offensive on all fronts. Let's keep our diets to ourselves and help one another devote time towards doing much more constructive activities.
edit on 14-2-2019 by saint4God because: Added link & clarity

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
No one is going to prevent me from eating beef. Meat can be healthy for you.

No human can survive without some type of meat in their lives.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: saint4God

The romanticized "noble savage" narrative Hollywood invented in the middle of the 20th Century is utter horsesnip. Anyone who has ever driven through a reservation and seen the ridiculous amount of trash, litter, and disrespect for the land can see it today, but a simple look at the news exposes the fact that the entire narrative was pulled out of thin air.
www.indianz.com...

Eight people from the Alaska Native village of Point Hope have been charged in connection with a mass slaughter of caribou.
The eight men, ranging in ages from 18 to 30, allegedly shot more than 100 caribou during a July 4 hunt last year. Most of the animals were discarded in the tundra, authorities said.
Inupiat Eskimo elders and leaders from the village said the Alaska State Troopers exaggerated the number of dead animals They conducted their own investigation and found no wrongdoing.
The eight men face charges of wanton waste and failure to salvage meat.

There are numerous anecdotes of native villages around Alaska which have harvested hundreds, even thousands of salmon on a good tide, then proceeded to have a party to celebrate the "harvest" in which the whole damn village got plastered and when everyone woke up the next day the whole harvest was wasted thanks to the fish not being cleaned and left on the bank to rot.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Well, if certain people could be trusted not to harvest before it's time, we embalm and bury huge quantities of high-bio-available protein every day.

Just sayin'...

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maverick7
Well, if certain people could be trusted not to harvest before it's time, we embalm and bury huge quantities of high-bio-available protein every day.

You know, ever since PepsiCo bought Soylent Green, it just doesn't seem to be a soylent as it used to be.

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus
a reply to: fernalley

Thanks for your well-informed post! Good work with the research. 💎

Thank you. I have a vested interest in this which is what sent me down the rabbit hole

posted on Feb, 14 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I think Cory Booker is actually Keegan Michael Key... this stuff is just to funny.
edit on 13021328pm282019Thu, 14 Feb 2019 18:13:12 -0600 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 12:42 AM
link   
weird - I know someone with 50,000 hectares - who farms both and he is quite adamant Booker is a numchuk - what would he know, stupid actual farmers - politicians are knowledge gods, just ask crazy eyes

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   
And they laughed when I said they were coming for my bacon!!!!!

Whose's laughing now?

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I wouldn’t doubt people get paid to say stuff

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: saint4God
I'm unclear why there is vitriol in the responses here.

Republicans: The Democrats want to split their own party between omnivores and herbivores? How is this a political negative?

Democrats: You've got more variety to choose a candidate to represent your lifestyle.

Independents and Other Political Parties: Source of innovative ideas for the two party system to adopt. If they're popular enough, they'll make it onto one of the major party tickets.

Omnivores: Herbivores want to save the animals Because they think humans are evil destroyers of the earth

Herbivores: You now have a choice with inflated Whole Foods groceries and overpriced restaurants. Maybe buying more will drop the price.

I do believe in treating animals as humanely as possible, supporting the efforts of Certified Humane. I've met people food pushing from all sides: omnivores, vegetarian, and vegan (herbivores). I find it offensive on all fronts. Let's keep our diets to ourselves and help one another devote time towards doing much more constructive activities.
there .. fixed that for ya

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join