It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 + 2 = 22 (Alternative Math)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: dfnj2015

"2" + "2" = "22"

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is the real reason our public schools are so screwed up.

It wasn't a JAVA test, and even if it were, it would still be wrong. "2"+"2"="22", but the question was 2+2... no quotes. JAVA still says the answer is 4. It was a basic math test. Basic math uses base 10 numbers. If we cannot even agree on the context of basic math, we are doomed.

In base 3, if you want to go that far, 2+2=11, yes. Now convert that back into base 10: 3+1=4. The same answer as if one had simply added the numbers in base 10. Try it in binary: 2+2=10b+10b=100b=4. Hexadecimal? 2+2=0x02+0x02=0x04=4.

No matter how you slice it, the answer is always 4. The base does not matter until it is specified other than base 10, which comes at a later date.

TheRedneck

Redneck do math GOOOOD!!! But fire still BAAAAAD!

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TheElectricPriest

That was a wonderful video. I want you to know that I would not have spent nine whole precious minutes without your engaging and humorous preamble. Well done! Any time spent giving a laugh or a smile is well worth it.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus

That was a wonderful video. I want you to know that I would not have spent nine whole precious minutes without your engaging and humorous preamble. Well done! Any time spent giving a laugh or a smile is well worth it.

Hey...thanks! That's nice of you to say. Made me smile it did.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Smiles and laughs should always be paid forward. It costs us nothing and makes the world a better place.*

*too fuzzy?

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

its really scary to think that our world might become like that one day
but I get the joke in this video and it really gets funny at the end

thanks for sharing

One day?

It's sadly sort of here now.

When I was attending parents' night this year, one parents was very concerned that the Common Core practice of valuing process over answer was to be continued. Now why do you think that might be?

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary...

Didn't watch the video and couldn't follow the preamble. Is this a dig at common core?
edit on 11-2-2019 by Templeton because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   

"2" + "2" = "22"

If treated as strings the answer would be "22". That also means they are not be considered numbers in arithmetic operations.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Templeton

Didn't watch the video and couldn't follow the preamble

Yeah...soooo, ummm...thanks. So you didn't do the homework and couldn't follow the synopsis, so you decided what is all meant and then gave us all a math lesson. Hmmmm...yeah

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheElectricPriest

Didn't watch the video and couldn't follow the preamble

Yeah...soooo, ummm...thanks. So you didn't do the homework and couldn't follow the synopsis, so you decided what is all meant and then gave us all a math lesson. Hmmmm...yeah

Yes I like math. Long winded intros aren't my thing. I can't watch videos right now. Got a tl/dr? From what I can gather from your "synopsis", this is a short video because you have a beef with long videos (first paragraph, thanks for pointing that out), and it has something to do with "the outrageous, the stupidly stupefying, the incredulous inane insanity that seems to be infecting our world" (second paragraph), and finally it is well made (3rd paragraph).

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Danny? Is that you?

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Given an aquarium, containing two large, hungry fish.
Two small fish are added to the aquarium.

2 + 2 = 2 less hungry large fish.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Pure genius.

Seems that the dialectic minds are starting to wake up and fight back against this latest ridiculous social justice warrior movement, finally.

Hey, remember common core? We were all forced, without any actual testing at all to see if it sucked or not, to make it the national education curriculum?

Well you have to do is look at millennials and the new generation z to see how well that's turning out.

Maybe that's why people are so totally unaware of reality now coming out of school? Of course you remember common core, right? BUT if you go to commoncore.org you will see that even they know that they screwed it all up AND ABSOLUTELY RUINED IT AS A BRAND, and it actually goes somewhere else now to yet another attempt to continue to screw up the educational system. They actually change the name. You know when you ruin your brand, simply rename it.

When are we going to catch on that there's a hostile takeover of the educational system going on and when are we going to do something about it? Look at what's happening to our schools into a colleges? They're turning out illiterates. Quite literally. Pun intended.
edit on 12-2-2019 by gernblan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Base 10 is one of the worst number systems to use.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Base 3 in terms of computers is usually calculated as -1 0 and +1 at least in the few ternary computers that have been made.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: gernblan

People against common core math are the anti vaxers of mathematics.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: gernblan

People against common core math are the anti vaxers of mathematics.

Yes, we know you think it rocks. It's pure hell for dysgraphic kids though.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Heh, I wasn't aware that any ternary computers existed... although I can see the logic in using that numerical arrangement from an electronic point of view. It's a slightly extended (to include 0) version of some of the more common 2-line transmission protocols (I2C not among them of course).

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Base 10 is one of the worst number systems to use.

Be that as it may, we have ten fingers. Base 10 is the most common base used and is the default for all mathematics. Other bases have either a subscript base number included for clarity or a special designation (0xXXXX for hexadecimal, for instance). That's not likely to change any time in the future, especially since the International Standard (Metric) system is built around base 10 decimals.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheElectricPriest
Howdy ATS!

So in today's installment of LEE'S FEEDS, I ran across this video this morning, and though it didn't raise to the normal level of idiocy outrage that it normally takes to pass muster in order for me to move it along for the community, it was crazy well done with a good dose of humor and hence I thought to share it. Whenever I share a video (aka. my M.O.), I always try to make certain that it's pretty short (under 5 minutes) so that people can take a quick moment and watch it without a major investment. I always laugh when I link to a video someone has shared and it's 2 hours long. Yeah, I'll get to that on Tuesday. So anyway, this one is just a tad longer at 9 minutes, but it's a professionally made short film so a touch longer is understandable.

Oh, a brief synopsis would probably be appropriate. When I analyze my previous few threads, it seems that I'm more interested presently in the outrageous, the stupidly stupefying, the incredulous inane insanity that seems to be infecting our world. This video is no different, and concentrates on the topic of 'Alternative Math'. I'm certain this is something we've all heard in some measure with the roll-out of the core curriculum standards and their basis that, sometimes, 2 + 2 does in fact equal 5 (if the student can justify why). Of course, this is just lunacy, and right up there with Britain's new curriculum roll-out that not only girls have periods (because that's insensitive to teach due to the fact that their might be a transgender boy who will feel confused and left-out by being told he can't also have a period...by the way, this is true, I'm not making this up, I'm just not that creative actually).

So, the video is, again, very well made and fun and if you have a few minutes to spare give it a watch and, of course, jump in with your comments and/or experiences with this new standard (oh, and if you want to see how this all turns out, watch the movie Idiocracy).

Peace...
TEP

Sadly, this is too close to the truth.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Maybe throw them in the special needs classes then rather than hold everyone else back.

Actually I’m only kidding. Used properly you can calculate much more in your head using the methods they teach, resulting in less writing.
edit on 12-2-2019 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join