It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 + 2 = 22 (Alternative Math)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Howdy ATS!

So in today's installment of LEE'S FEEDS, I ran across this video this morning, and though it didn't raise to the normal level of idiocy outrage that it normally takes to pass muster in order for me to move it along for the community, it was crazy well done with a good dose of humor and hence I thought to share it. Whenever I share a video (aka. my M.O.), I always try to make certain that it's pretty short (under 5 minutes) so that people can take a quick moment and watch it without a major investment. I always laugh when I link to a video someone has shared and it's 2 hours long. Yeah, I'll get to that on Tuesday. So anyway, this one is just a tad longer at 9 minutes, but it's a professionally made short film so a touch longer is understandable.

Oh, a brief synopsis would probably be appropriate. When I analyze my previous few threads, it seems that I'm more interested presently in the outrageous, the stupidly stupefying, the incredulous inane insanity that seems to be infecting our world. This video is no different, and concentrates on the topic of 'Alternative Math'. I'm certain this is something we've all heard in some measure with the roll-out of the core curriculum standards and their basis that, sometimes, 2 + 2 does in fact equal 5 (if the student can justify why). Of course, this is just lunacy, and right up there with Britain's new curriculum roll-out that not only girls have periods (because that's insensitive to teach due to the fact that their might be a transgender boy who will feel confused and left-out by being told he can't also have a period...by the way, this is true, I'm not making this up, I'm just not that creative actually).

So, the video is, again, very well made and fun and if you have a few minutes to spare give it a watch and, of course, jump in with your comments and/or experiences with this new standard (oh, and if you want to see how this all turns out, watch the movie Idiocracy).

Peace...
TEP

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TheElectricPriest

its really scary to think that our world might become like that one day
but I get the joke in this video and it really gets funny at the end

thanks for sharing

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

its really scary to think that our world might become like that one day
but I get the joke in this video and it really gets funny at the end

thanks for sharing

Yeah, no worries...I enjoy passing along videos that make me think. I checked back in to see how the thread was doing and I was like, damn! It's dead, getting no love at all. Oh wait, the OP below me is about a woman bound and gagged in the back of a truck...can't compete with that. Ha!

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

2+2=5 if the student can justify why

Currently on display in the political world with climate change.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheElectricPriest
Of course, this is just lunacy, and right up there with Britain's new curriculum roll-out that not only girls have periods (because that's insensitive to teach due to the fact that their might be a transgender boy who will feel confused and left-out by being told he can't also have a period...by the way, this is true, I'm not making this up, I'm just not that creative actually).

How dare you. /s

I don't feel sorry for the adults who can't tell children they are wrong, or who feel they need special treatment in order to feel special. I feel sorry for the children who don't know any better. This lunacy can not be tolerated.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I'm certain this is something we've all heard in some measure with the roll-out of the core curriculum standards and their basis that, sometimes, 2 + 2 does in fact equal 5

I have not watched the video yet, but often when I hear the 2 + 2 question it is with the idea that "context" is important. For example, this how to count in Base 3 (we normally count in Base 10):

So in Base 3, 2 + 2 = 11

Context is important and has to do with language in general not math. I generally fall in the camp that believes education makes you smarter not dumber.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: havok

I remember I was dating a girl in Pennsylvania and I was invited to their family reunion. She had a small niece (probably aged around 5 or 6) and we were all riding in a van together when the girl said something that was just drastically grammatically incorrect, and I corrected her. The girl became very indignant, proclaimed she was right in a very empowered way, and I sought again to correct her to no avail. The strange thing was the way the family reacted, like I had done something wrong and was out of line, let the girl be, she's right. I of course let it be, they can raise an idiot if they so desire, and immediately ended that relationship.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I'm certain this is something we've all heard in some measure with the roll-out of the core curriculum standards and their basis that, sometimes, 2 + 2 does in fact equal 5

I have not watched the video yet, but often when I hear the 2 + 2 question it is with the idea that "context" is important. For example, this how to count in Base 3 (we normally count in Base 10):

So in Base 3, 2 + 2 = 11

Context is important and has to do with language in general not math. I generally fall in the camp that believes education makes you smarter not dumber.

Ummm...huh? So how many fingers do I have on my hand, because that's how I still count...

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Howdy ATS!

So in today's installment of LEE'S FEEDS, I ran across this video this morning, and though it didn't raise to the normal level of idiocy outrage that it normally takes to pass muster in order for me to move it along for the community, it was crazy well done with a good dose of humor and hence I thought to share it. Whenever I share a video (aka. my M.O.), I always try to make certain that it's pretty short (under 5 minutes) so that people can take a quick moment and watch it without a major investment. I always laugh when I link to a video someone has shared and it's 2 hours long. Yeah, I'll get to that on Tuesday. So anyway, this one is just a tad longer at 9 minutes, but it's a professionally made short film so a touch longer is understandable.

That was Awesome!
edit on Mon Feb 11 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote Trim Those Quotes

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Glad you enjoyed it...I did as well. When I saw all the awards displayed in the thumbnail I knew I wanted to give it a quick perusal...

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

That might just be the best short film video I've ever watched!

Brilliant!

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   

So in Base 3, 2 + 2 = 11

Ummm...huh? So how many fingers do I have on my hand, because that's how I still count...

Do you use a computer? Computers count like this:

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

As I posted, context is very important. The little kid was probably a brilliant Java programmer. In the Java programming language, the addition operation is used for string concatenation:

www.techiedelight.com...

So in Java:

"2" + "2" = "22"

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   

So in Base 3, 2 + 2 = 11

Do you use a computer? Computers count like this:

Oh, yeah...of course. It's all so clear now. Sorry, duh, it's still just early...my bad. Do they still make Dr. Pepper?

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   

As I posted, context is very important. The little kid was probably a brilliant Java programmer. In the Java programming language, the addition operation is used for string concatenation:

www.techiedelight.com...

So in Java:

"2" + "2" = "22"

I just can't tell if you're being serious or not right now. Did you watch the short? Are you trying to justify the contrary position, and if so...why? I have no doubt that you're very clever, but I've got a news flash for you pal...2+2=4

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Maybe you need to sleep at a Holiday Inn.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I'm not your pal. Yes I watched it. The teacher gets $22,000 instead of $4,000 dollars.

If you are truly interested in "Is our children learning?" then consider this video from math teacher Dan Meyer's commentary on how to teach math:

www.ted.com...

edit on 11-2-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
And, everybody thinks we're going back to the moon...

Mine the asteroid belt...

Live on Mars...

lol...

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I'm not your pal. Yes I watched it. The teacher gets $22,000 instead of $4,000 dollars.

If you are truly interested in "Is our children learning?" then consider this video from math teacher Dan Meyer's commentary on how to teach math:

www.ted.com...

Ahhhh...you're not my pal??? Well now my whole morning is shot. See if you can solve this puzzle.

Take 1 arrogant person (A)
Divide him by some list of inane numbers and base math that no one in 1st grade (or other grades) uses (B)
Multiply that by a healthy does of sensitivity (C)
And what do you got...

(A/B)*C = ?

Hint: The answer can be found in the mirror

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

"2" + "2" = "22"

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is the real reason our public schools are so screwed up.

It wasn't a JAVA test, and even if it were, it would still be wrong. "2"+"2"="22", but the question was 2+2... no quotes. JAVA still says the answer is 4. It was a basic math test. Basic math uses base 10 numbers. If we cannot even agree on the context of basic math, we are doomed.

In base 3, if you want to go that far, 2+2=11, yes. Now convert that back into base 10: 3+1=4. The same answer as if one had simply added the numbers in base 10. Try it in binary: 2+2=10b+10b=100b=4. Hexadecimal? 2+2=0x02+0x02=0x04=4.

No matter how you slice it, the answer is always 4. The base does not matter until it is specified other than base 10, which comes at a later date.

TheRedneck

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join