It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Browser slow and full of rubbish

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTruthRocks
Ditch Firefox and install Opera.

It is so much better: faster, smoother, and it blocks ads on Websites and YT vids.

The REALLY good news is it has nothing to do with Oprah Windbag.

Try Opera before you ditch FF. Download it and give it a test drive:

www.opera.com...

I have Opera as a backup browser, but IMO, it doesn't seem to perform any better, they're on par with each other.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildmanimal
a reply to: Azureblue

Gotcha!
Uninstall Firefox.
Save nothing if prompted.
"Favorites" for example.

Restart.
Reinstall.

Then take an ax to your ISP.

Wont help.. FireFox uses 3/4 of my ram at the best of times. It's just written so bad these days.

Go for waterfox or Brave (a chrome clone but with full security in mind) and give FF the boot.

You, your PC and your ram will thank you.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

Gotcha!
Uninstall Firefox.
"Favorites" for example.

Restart.
Reinstall.

Wont help.. FireFox uses 3/4 of my ram at the best of times. It's just written so bad these days.

Go for waterfox or Brave (a chrome clone but with full security in mind) and give FF the boot.

Percentages are one thing, but the actual numbers count much more. I have 8 GB of ram in my laptop and FF AND Opera both max out RAM usage at about 1,500 MB when I run it hard (like streaming) Any other time, I'm sitting at around 1,100 - 1,200 MB of RAM.
Edit: And for clarity, I typically have the same 5 pages pinned and constantly open, one being whatever show I'm streaming on Amazon. That page is always open, regardless of whether or not I watched it today, or 3 weeks ago -- I'm a little lazy that way. That contributes to my higher baseline RAM usage for FF. IIR, closing that page can drop it down to the 900's/1000's.

If you're using 3/4 of your RAM just to use FF, then you don't have much to begin with, i.e 2 GB or less. However, that doesn't jive for reasons I'm getting into below.

Now, if you're basing this off opening up Task Manager are just looking at the numbers totaled up, you're neglecting to figure in a lot of system processes making up the difference. My FF is using 1,200 MB of RAM at this moment (I have TM open to check) but the grand total of RAM being used between all running processes is about 45%. Not great, but absolutely not terrible for a nearly 7 year old laptop, either.

Keeping all that in mind, NOW how do your numbers stack up?
edit on 2/11/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/11/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: gallop

Wont help.. FireFox uses 3/4 of my ram

No it does not.
The size of memory is RAM + Virtual RAM (VRAM= Page file)

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
Bring up Task manager
Go to performance
Click on memory
Look at the committed section on the right toward the bottom
Look closely at the numbers (mine is 5.1/39.7) . The number after the slash is the total ram available.
Now , tell me how Firefox is using 3/4 of your memory again ?

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
A flag for Azureblue for asking for help. I read thru the posts out of curiosity and noticed nobody suggested Cntrl, Alt, Deltete and task manager. Go to startup and disable all programs not required for start or maintenance. I do this sometimes and it always helps. 8GB of RAM should be sufficient for what is going on without the slowdowns. My best,

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Still gonna be Windows 10
New features and upgrades are being installed in Windows 10 now
Did you recently get the fairly large size update ?

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Thanks - Video download helper, Youtube video and download helper, "You Tube" Enhancer for your tube, Shockwave flash.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

Gotcha!
Uninstall Firefox.
"Favorites" for example.

Restart.
Reinstall.

.... I'm starting to read that FF has turned to S...
thanks

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
If you have a spinny hard drive give it a defrag as FF creates a lot of files as it caches fonts etc within a folder for each time it opens and a badly fragmented drive can really slow it down, given SSD's are dirt cheap at the moment it may be worth flashing a bit of cash and enjoy the faster speeds.

i'll do that and thanks. Just wish SSDs were just as cheap in my country as they are in yours, Its the sin drives that are somewhat cheaper here.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Check Internet connection and if wired , possibly reseat or replace the Enet cable. Make sure Cat5e at least or Cat 6 (if you have a 1gb or greater NIC card . If not , cant help you with that one)

I will check the connection but they are not that old. thanks

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
You might need to download ccleaner and run it to remove a bunch of crap on your computer. It's free and very effective.

thanks; I do use CC cleaner.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Something tells me the problems aren't limited to FF, and it's a symptom of needing to catch up to modern operating specs.

Your comp specs, what are they? You gave RAM, but that's only part of the story, you need to be honest.

Computer's age
CPU (at the very least, what GHz?)
Got enough unused HDD space? That actually matters, man.

thanks; my computer is 5-7 years old, its got 8 gig of ram, 64 bit, AS Rock Pro 3 M motherboard, 2 gig partitioned hard drive (D) which is about 80% full.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: gallop

There is no reason that any browser should
be eating 3/4 of your ram.

I would dial back right down and flash/upgrade
your Bios for starters.

Then move up the flow chart.

It appears that your gear is an infected
Spam Zombie.

edit on 15-2-2019 by Wildmanimal because: add goodie

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Download and run the freeware version of Malwarebytes. It's a good one.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I have what some people would consider overkill but it works better than anything I have done previously and with a very small footprint considering the tools and protection provided.

I run the full Kaspersky suite for my main virus protection. Its always rated very high and many banks use it. If it works for them, it works for me.

On my pc right now I also have installed ccleaner, Adaware antivirus, and Avast antivirus with the Avast cleanup tools. Only the Kaspersky is a paid version, the others are free. There are no conflicts between these AV's. I can run all three together with no issues but for purposes of saving memory I actively run Kaspersky all the time and manually run the others for the various tools and services they offer. The Avast cleanup tools catch things ccleaner misses and vice versa. I have 32 Gig of ram so its not like the system is starving. When I go to 64 none of it will matter at all.

On a side note, Avast also offers an inexpensive VPN if you have the purchased version rather than the free one.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

edit on 6-3-2019 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
You need something to compare it to. I'd load a couple other browsers, like Chrome and Opera, and see how quickly pages load, and run some speed tests. Usually each browser will give different results for the same speed test - Firefox used to be the quickest, but I've had problems with Firefox lately.

If you want safer browsing you could use Tor, but.. it's dog-slow when compared to the other browers. : )

If all browsers you test are loading pages in about the same amount of time (and you'll probably need to delete cache of each browser for an accurate test), then the problem is probably with your OS / software, not the browser.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue
I have taken the advice of people here and dispensed with cleaners and registery cleaners etc but now I cant get rid of crap in my Fire Fox browser.

it takes a 15-20 seconds for fire fox to open to sometimes change sites. The little black dot in the top left of the screen below the world "File" in the tool bar, slides backwards and forwards and backwards and forwards and i wait for the desired web page to open.

This is has been going on for a while now and now the search box has lots of different website names come and go before the right site comes up. Now, I cant even get the right site to come up without having to click a link to it from some crapware site.

I tried cleaning it several times with a browser cleaner but its next to useless.

I run a PC, Windows 7, 64 bit, 8 gig of ram windows computer with Firefox as my search engine.

i do run CC cleaner and advanced system care. I also run Superantispyware for viruses.

I've run adwcleaner but it doesn't do much to solve this problem.

I have run Zemana.AntiMalware once before but I'm a little concerned it might take out some good stuff as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

sounds like you have a bitcoin malware miner running. They are notorious for sucking cpu and graphic card strength to hide what they doing. download malwarebyte and do a clean, then use CCcleaner and do another sweep of registry. run sysconfig thru windows and see what starts up when your computer is running. there is a little check box at the bottom that helps show you just the essentials for running windows. click on that. if other stuff is running in your computer that looks fishy. stop it from running next time it loads. a virus or malware won't load in safe mode as well. might want to try to run safe mode and scrub and clean through there. if all else fails, an old trick I use to use is creating a new profile. Lots of times that will solve the malware problem. My guess the malware is registered hidden in the clusters of registry in your computer. With a fresh registry from a new windows profile. the problem not working right. Try it.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue
I have taken the advice of people here and dispensed with cleaners and registery cleaners etc but now I cant get rid of crap in my Fire Fox browser.

it takes a 15-20 seconds for fire fox to open to sometimes change sites. The little black dot in the top left of the screen below the world "File" in the tool bar, slides backwards and forwards and backwards and forwards and i wait for the desired web page to open.

This is has been going on for a while now and now the search box has lots of different website names come and go before the right site comes up. Now, I cant even get the right site to come up without having to click a link to it from some crapware site.

I tried cleaning it several times with a browser cleaner but its next to useless.

I run a PC, Windows 7, 64 bit, 8 gig of ram windows computer with Firefox as my search engine.

i do run CC cleaner and advanced system care. I also run Superantispyware for viruses.

I've run adwcleaner but it doesn't do much to solve this problem.

I have run Zemana.AntiMalware once before but I'm a little concerned it might take out some good stuff as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

sounds like you have a bitcoin malware miner running. They are notorious for sucking cpu and graphic card strength to hide what they doing. download malwarebyte and do a clean, then use CCcleaner and do another sweep of registry. run sysconfig thru windows and see what starts up when your computer is running. there is a little check box at the bottom that helps show you just the essentials for running windows. click on that. if other stuff is running in your computer that looks fishy. stop it from running next time it loads. a virus or malware won't load in safe mode as well. might want to try to run safe mode and scrub and clean through there. if all else fails, an old trick I use to use is creating a new profile. Lots of times that will solve the malware problem. My guess the malware is registered hidden in the clusters of registry in your computer. With a fresh registry from a new windows profile. the problem not working right. Try it.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Nemox42

Thank you very much. I will do that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join