It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Browser slow and full of rubbish

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I have taken the advice of people here and dispensed with cleaners and registery cleaners etc but now I cant get rid of crap in my Fire Fox browser.

it takes a 15-20 seconds for fire fox to open to sometimes change sites. The little black dot in the top left of the screen below the world "File" in the tool bar, slides backwards and forwards and backwards and forwards and i wait for the desired web page to open.

This is has been going on for a while now and now the search box has lots of different website names come and go before the right site comes up. Now, I cant even get the right site to come up without having to click a link to it from some crapware site.

I tried cleaning it several times with a browser cleaner but its next to useless.

I run a PC, Windows 7, 64 bit, 8 gig of ram windows computer with Firefox as my search engine.

i do run CC cleaner and advanced system care. I also run Superantispyware for viruses.

I've run adwcleaner but it doesn't do much to solve this problem.

I have run Zemana.AntiMalware once before but I'm a little concerned it might take out some good stuff as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Which add-ons is your firefox running?
("Extras"->"Add-ons")

It seems there is some malicious add-on installed. This would not be removed by clearing caches, etc.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 02:01 AM
link   
If you have a spinny hard drive give it a defrag as FF creates a lot of files as it caches fonts etc within a folder for each time it opens and a badly fragmented drive can really slow it down, given SSD's are dirt cheap at the moment it may be worth flashing a bit of cash and enjoy the faster speeds.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Try another browser and that is also running slow then bet back and we can try to solve this.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 03:42 AM
link   

it takes a 15-20 seconds for fire fox to open to sometimes change sites. The little black dot in the top left of the screen below the world "File" in the tool bar

1) Run CCleaner (make sure to check or uncheck different items as needed)
2) Run CCleaner to repair registry (make sure to say yes to back up before repairing)
3) Download and run Malwarebytes manually . Do not set to start with Windows as you most likely have Defender
4) Check Hard drive free space. You have to have enough to pagefile size
5) Check Internet connection and if wired , possibly reseat or replace the Enet cable. Make sure Cat5e at least or Cat 6 (if you have a 1gb or greater NIC card . If not , cant help you with that one)
8) Make sure Firefox is the 64bit version . You have to manually download and install the 64bit . It does not automajically upgrade. You would be on 32bit forever otherwise

I reformatted my response as now I have time.

edit on 2/11/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/11/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Gotcha!
Uninstall Firefox.
Save nothing if prompted.
"Favorites" for example.

Restart.
Reinstall.

Then take an ax to your ISP.

edit on 11-2-2019 by Wildmanimal because: spelling

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 04:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

it takes a 15-20 seconds for fire fox to open to sometimes change sites. The little black dot in the top left of the screen below the world "File" in the tool bar

2) Run CCleaner to repair registry (make sure to say yes to back up before repairing)
3) Download and run Malwarebytes manually . Do not set to start with Windows as you most likely have Defender
5) Check Internet connection and if wired , possibly reseat or replace the Enet cable. Make sure Cat5e at least or Cat 6 (if you have a 1gb or greater NIC card . If not , cant help you with that one)
8) Make sure Firefox is the 64bit version . You have to manually download and install the 64bit . It does not automajically upgrade. You would be on 32bit forever otherwise

Hit the Alt key and the menu bar will pop up. Then under view or tools you need to select "toolbars" and then check the box that says "menu bar" and it will then always show. If you want to toggle to full screen mode (no top bar or menu bar) hit F11 for on/off.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

Hit the Alt key and the menu bar will pop up. Then under view or tools you need to select "toolbars" and then check the box that says "menu bar" and it will then always show. If you want to toggle to full screen mode (no top bar or menu bar) hit F11 for on/off.

Why ?

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Oh , and consider upgrading to Windows 10.
Not yet , though.
The "Next" Windows 10 is around the corner...

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   
There's a good chance that the FF version you're running on Windows 7 is no longer supported and somewhere along the line you've downloaded/clicked/etc. on some malicious link.

Two things:

1. If a program takes a long time to open, it's usually an issue with RAM/memory. You could have too many processes running at once, you could have a memory intensive program running, etc.

You can remedy it by closing unnecessary programs, memory intensive programs, or --last resort -- adding more RAM to your PC.

2. If the browser opens, but is slow to load a page, that is probably due to a.) your ISP/network congestion b.) the site your trying to navigate not properly load-balancing/server issues c.) malware/etc. in your browser.

Try using IE and see if you have the same issues to narrow down what's wrong. And yes, as @Gothmog mentioned, it's time for an upgrade as Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7, unless you extended support.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Why ?

You mentioned the menu bar was missing.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Why ?

You mentioned the menu bar was missing.

But why would I need it ?
I said , I haven't seen a menu bar in Firefox in years . I usually control everything by voice. Except gameplay time.
And , there is a simpler way to show the menu bar
Right click at the top of Firefox and check "Show menu bar"
Or , you can do it the "geek" way and type in about:config and set it there (that is my preferred way. I love me some command line like stuff) I spend some time in Windows Powershell just for fun. Or the registry.

If I have time later , I will get into the part of streamlining Firefox by changing some values in the Firefox config.
The best , easiest thing to do is disable video acceleration (in ANY browser) to start.
I do like the idea of your assistance.
I really wish there was someone I can turn to when I have problems.
Unfortunately , there isn't

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Could always uninstall it.

Go in to %appdata% > delete the folder completely.

Reboot.

Then reinstall.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   
You might need to download ccleaner and run it to remove a bunch of crap on your computer. It's free and very effective.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I run a PC, Windows 7, 64 bit, 8 gig of ram windows computer with Firefox as my search engine.

Real solution is doubling your memory.

Or buying a new pc.

I just doubled mine, to 16 and still struggles sometimes.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I have a short idea to ponder...dont know how many things you downloaded- apps-videos-music-games etc...if any...but all come w a slew of crap connected by installing them.

Open up an app youve downloaded and look at all the files each has. None of which look familiar by tags...just the familiar ICON among the many.

The buildup of all these...are maybe where your problems lie. Looks clean, but all the files stay even when cleaned.

One thing I do periodically? I move everything (cut and paste over/into) important to me..to an external drive, then I clean everything left in...and 1 by 1...I put back those everyday items. The speed picks right up....

In a nutshell...and using YouTube or Netflix...even "Candy Crush" as an example...its got SO many files to just exist...who knows what the hell they are all for/! Good luck! M.S.
edit on 11-2-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

After being on Firefox for years i noticed that no matter what machine i was using it was slow and buggy duel core or quad core were the same so i jumped to Opera and have not looked back .

It has been 4-5 months now so hopefully they have fixed whatever bug was in the system

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

The "Next" Windows 10 is around the corner...

And here I thought Win10 was going to be the last browser you would need

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Something tells me the problems aren't limited to FF, and it's a symptom of needing to catch up to modern operating specs.

Your comp specs, what are they? You gave RAM, but that's only part of the story, you need to be honest.

Computer's age
CPU (at the very least, what GHz?)
Got enough unused HDD space? That actually matters, man.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Ditch Firefox and install Opera.

It is so much better: faster, smoother, and it blocks ads on Websites and YT vids.

The REALLY good news is it has nothing to do with Oprah Windbag.

Try Opera before you ditch FF. Download it and give it a test drive:

www.opera.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join