It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actor Rob Lowe deletes 'chief' joke about Senator Elizabeth Warren...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

So, chief was an Anglicized translation for "leader" or "elder", I suspect??
Maybe something the translators used? I imagine sometimes it was Tribal-to French/Spanish-to English and back.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   

It may have been around a while but it's still a European term and not Indigenous. It's been adopted due to colonialism and the risk of extinction.

Are you referring to the Cherokee nations that existed between 1794 and 1907 and were a result of forced migration from European settlers? Or are you confusing that with the current Cherokee nation which uses some of the aspects of the old nation; in this case, the European-approved term for head elder?

If chief were truly an Indigenous term, how has there never been a study on so many different languages using the exact same word for their head elder?

Long story short, chief is a European term that was forced upon some and adopted, fearfully or otherwise, by others.

Bringing this back full circle and as another person said, Rob Lowe shouldn't be punished or ostracized for punfully pointing out what Warren did; Tried to achieve a position of power using a status she didn't have a claim to.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: wtfatta

Just the Mention of Elizabeth Warrens Name is a Joke , with the " Punchline " Included I Might Add ........)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

So, chief was an Anglicized translation for "leader" or "elder", I suspect??
Maybe something the translators used? I imagine sometimes it was Tribal-to French/Spanish-to English and back.

Probably so.

There was a trade language between the tribes (North America at one time had I think over 5,000 different languages) so it may have come from there as well.

Languages change and grow, words get added all the time.

But yes, the word means "leader" and is used as Chief as well.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Close

Chief or Chef is old French which comes from the Latin word Caput or head.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I think you took what I was thinking and applied a whole lot of your own prejudice on it.

There never has been a study on it because the majority of our languages are dead... we have lost a few thousand over the last few hundred years.

It is a word that certainly didn't need "European" approval," for instance.

We have our own language that doesn't need anyone's approval.

Long story short, chief is a European term that was forced upon some and adopted, fearfully or otherwise, by others.

I am quoting this because it is garbage.

Chief is the English translation of ᎤᎬᏫᏳᎯ.

If I say chief in French, does that make you feel better?

If I tell you that the Cherokee word for "cat" is ᏪᏌ, does that mean that the Europeans "forced" the translation on us?

Or do you need every tribe's version of the word "leader" and see if they all mean "chief" in English?

This is just silly.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Our society is just about at the point where anything that is said by anyone will offend someone or some group.

Hello critical mass.

eithe r tune in or turn out

sad but there's some truth to this

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

Our society is just about at the point where anything that is said by anyone will offend someone or some group.

Hello critical mass.

True... and I sometimes think it is intentional.

There is a part of the population that gets sick of all of it and just stops talking about it or participating in the election process...

Then there is a part of the population that focuses on it, feeds off of it, lets it get into their brains.

Do they push the narrative so far and so hard because the sane people will just tune out and live their lives?

Thus enabling the crazies on both sides to keep pushing harder?

Certainly seems like it.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: musicismagic

Hello critical mass.

True... and I sometimes think it is intentional.

There is a part of the population that gets sick of all of it and just stops talking about it or participating in the election process...

Then there is a part of the population that focuses on it, feeds off of it, lets it get into their brains.

Do they push the narrative so far and so hard because the sane people will just tune out and live their lives?

Thus enabling the crazies on both sides to keep pushing harder?

Certainly seems like it.

In Other words , A lot of American Citizens who Actually Vote Presently in this Country are Brain Dead Effin' Morons who do More Harm than Good by Voting for the Wrong Reasons . Yeah , that just about Sums in Up in America Circa 2019 I am afraid.....(

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Your version certainly sums up what I was thinking...

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I think you took what I was thinking and applied a whole lot of your own prejudice on it.

There never has been a study on it because the majority of our languages are dead... we have lost a few thousand over the last few hundred years.

It is a word that certainly didn't need "European" approval," for instance.

We have our own language that doesn't need anyone's approval.

I am quoting this because it is garbage.

Chief is the English translation of ᎤᎬᏫᏳᎯ.

If I say chief in French, does that make you feel better?

If I tell you that the Cherokee word for "cat" is ᏪᏌ, does that mean that the Europeans "forced" the translation on us?

Or do you need every tribe's version of the word "leader" and see if they all mean "chief" in English?

This is just silly.

Where do I begin teaching you.

Firstly, early settlers needed a way to understand who the elders of the tribes were. Those European settlers settled on (approved) the French word chief.

Do you really presume to think every single tribe was ok with their elders being called "chief" or with just an average Indigenous person being called "chief" out of, at the least, a lack of understanding?

Secondly, assuming that even one tribe was against it, they were forced to adopt it and other European prescribed ways or die.

Thirdly, you've seriously misconstrued my words. I never said the word chief was the word all Indigenous use for their elders. I asked you if chief were the only word used, dead language or alive, they would all use it, yet, as you so condescendingly pointed out, they don't because, like English and other languages, each language generally has several words for their (leader, elder, chief, head honcho) so there wouldn't be a study which was the point you missed.

Fourthly, all languages need approval by the people that use them.

Fifthly, when you say "we have our own language" are you speaking on behalf of all Indigenous or all Cherokee? Isn't that just a little arrogant? You clearly don't speak for me.

Sixthly,

I am quoting this because it is garbage

How is it garbage? Or even wrong? Lol

Seventhly, congratulations on using "your" language arrogantly.

Eighthly, if the Cherokee nation changed ᏪᏌ to cat and never used ᏪᏌ again, they have done so under the "garbage" reasons of "forced upon, or adopted (fearfully OR OTHERWISE)"

Ninthly, yes, I do. I'm sure some, if not all, will translate to leader, elder, chief, boss, etc.

Lastly, you're clearly upset, so I'll wait until you've had a chance to calm down and stop being so rude and condescending because I'm reflecting your poor behavior.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

He deserves everything he gets now, because he backed down!!!

Hollyweird has been ruining his life for well over a decade...maybe 2. It was over for him when they released his blackmail tape of doing an underage chick. I don't know what he did to piss them off. He has a wife and several kids to worry about too. I doubt he meant to be anything other than pithy. But, I can completely understand rolling over at the behest of his "celebrity peers" and the murderous crime family movie industry.

Imma just gonna send him some good energy.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 06:35 AM
link   
3..2..1.. Say goodbye to his Atkins commercials.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
In some First Nations bands, there are both a chief, and a council of elders.

I have to assume every band might differ on this, I only know this as a fact for some Canadian First Nations.

And the underage video stuff, Rob Lowe was just a teenager himself, way back then. Born March, 1964.
And she was 16, that’s an age of consent, especially if the guy is only a couple of years older....
edit on 11-2-2019 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: wtfatta
Actor Rob Lowe deletes 'chief' joke about Senator Elizabeth Warren running for president from Twitter after backlash from other celebrities

How is chief offensive? We don't have chiefs in Indigenous tribes. We have elders. Chief is a European concept attributed to Indigenous elders. Ask most Indigenous people and they don't care about the word chief. They care that people don't understand that there aren't any chiefs...

Rob Lowe doesn't deserve punishment for this and, as an Indigenous person myself (Painted Feather Woodland), I found his jab to be on point. Warren tried to use a status that didn't belong to her in order to achieve a position of power and, as she's the first to try something like this, if she were elected, she WOULD redefine Commander in "Chief" because she would be a person who pretended to be an Indigenous person in order to became a "chief".

I like Rob Lowe. It's a pity he backed down and apologized.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I expected his tweet to be offensive

but it wasn't at all, it was just funny

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Here is the tweet .

On Saturday, Lowe tweeted, 'Elizabeth Warren would bring a whole new meaning to Commander in "Chief,"'

LOL I thought that was pretty good. To bad he has no back bone and people can't laugh at stuff anymore.

edit on 21228America/ChicagoMon, 11 Feb 2019 09:21:16 -0600000000p2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
So Rob Lowe deletes 'chief' joke about Senator Elizabeth Warren after he received backlash from the celebrities whom are nothing but a joke?

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   
it would be nice if people asked us Native voices and it wasn't the white liberals speaking about everything

the thing about these "Jokes" is it is a cheap attempt to get a dig at Warren (who is trash by the way) by using mocking and stereotypes in a mocking way

you want to dig Warren, you can do that without dragging other Natives into it

it wasn't the misuse of the word "chief" it was the way it is being used to degrade someone, which in turn makes us the 'symbol' that is used to degrade someone

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join