It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars: Netflix Series

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Recently I discovered a pretty solid series on Netflix titled "Mars". It's actually a few years old as it was released in 2016. Couple of quick notes; I did a search for it on ATS, but there are so many Mars topics that I decided to create a new thread because I couldn't easily find one that may already exist. Also, I put it in Space Exploration because the way its portrayed it could, in a way, lend a realistic expectation of how sending mankind to Mars might go.

I'm on episode 5, and I'm really digging it. I like the real life interviews they include with the likes of Elon Musk, Neil Degreass Tyson and James Lovell. It places a sense of realism and historical perspective on the objective of building a colony on Mars. It ties in fairly seamlessly with the fictitious world we're thrust into.

Overall the show presents a very sensible approach to the colonization of Mars. The modern day prep work, the research, the initial expedition, the resupply and trying to prepare for all the various challenges a mission of this magnitude would take. Now, I don't know how it's going to work. I think the model of government led space exploration is a thing of the past when it comes to insanely expensive missions like this. I hope Elon Musk's efforts have a real payoff and I think that's what it's going to take. A privatized endeavor that can utilize international resources and expertise to make the mission as effective as possible. Remove the nationalism and ego of a space race and it could help remove some degree of emotion and bias from the task at hand.

Like I said, I'm only halfway through season 1 but it's got me critically thinking about the once unimaginable prospect of putting man on another planet. I do believe we can do this in my/our lifetime. It's an exciting idea. And I'm glad this show helps me put it into a realistic perspective.

So...who has seen the show? Did it have a similar effect? Do you think we'll put boots on Mars in our lifetime?

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Pretty good series. Not stupid.

Politics and big money vs scientific endevours.

Some soap opera stuff too.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

It's a great show except for the fact they mix in clips of current political events. I almost quit watching it a few times because of that. I watch sci-fi to get away from that kind of crap.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Without the present there is no future.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Some soap opera stuff too.

Gotta entertain the masses with some drama. Truly informative television would never get the funding it needs to compete with the song and dance shows. Perhaps "Cosmos" is as close as we'll come. But even that takes some liberties towards entertaining the viewers outside of pure science.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

It's a great show except for the fact they mix in clips of current political events. I almost quit watching it a few times because of that. I watch sci-fi to get away from that kind of crap.

Personally I like that. It cultivates a certain degree of realism to it in a way that if/when we actually accomplish this mission, politicians will find a way to be in the middle of it. NASA still does some amazing things, but they don't get funding without government approval. Makes for some great kodak moments and sound bites. But that's the reality of it.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

It cultivates a certain degree of realism to it in a way that if/when we actually accomplish this mission, politicians will find a way to be in the middle of it. NASA still does some amazing things, but they don't get funding without government approval.

I could deal with that, but it clearly comes from one side and is agenda driven.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Earth isn't going to hell in a handbasket?

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

No it isn't, Earth will be just fine. Humans on the other hand may not.

edit on 10-2-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Sure. Just wait 4 or 5 billion years. When the Sun gets all big and red.

Then get back to me.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Yeah i could hardly stomach the second
Season especially when they threw
Greenpeace into the mix.

Still good none the less.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: VividestSum93

Yeah i could hardly stomach the second
Season especially when they threw
Greenpeace into the mix.

Still good none the less.

Interesting. Since I havne't gotten that far, I wonder if there was a change in the show's vision in between seasons? I've noticed some ideological perspectives in the show thus far, but nothing overly bias.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Yeah 2nd season seemed more
Politically driven. It was
Still good though.

I wont spoil it anymore!

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I've never heard of this show but I'll check it out.

So is this about terraforming Mars because earth is dying?
If so I always found that to be a rediculous idea.
We can change the climate of a remote uninhabitable planet but can't fix the one we are on.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

More of an eggs in one basket scenario but we've certainly changed the climate of this planet and we could, conceivably, unchange it. But climate change is not the only problem with Earth.

The terraforming concept presented is semi-plausible, actually.
edit on 2/10/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Great show but you are wrong as it is not a Netflix original.
That is a Natgeo original and is still going strong. Netflix only has the first season but if you have access to Natgeo streaming you can watch season 2.
And after you watch that and have HULU give "The First" a watch!

:edit:I was wrong as you did not claim it to be an original Netflix show. My bad
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Great show but you are wrong as it is not a Netflix original.
That is a Natgeo original and is still going strong. Netflix only has the first season but if you have access to Natgeo streaming you can watch season 2.
And after you watch that and have HULU give "The First" a watch!

:edit:I was wrong as you did not claim it to be an original Netflix show. My bad

You were close enough. The thread title calls it a Netflix series and in all honest, I assumed it was a Netflix series.

How are the other seasons? Other viewers mention so political biases in season 2; does that factor into other seasons?

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

There is too much political bias in everything these days. You can’t even watch sports without someone or some organization pushing their political agenda. I am about to retire to a cabin in the woods somewhere and leave humanity behind.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   

There will always a political bias in everything you watch. But is defense of the “MARS” series they do try to keep it scientific. Season 2 is really good and I cannot wait for season 3.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I enjoy everything space so yeah I enjoyed the Mars show.

Doubt we will see boots on another planet in my lifetime though.

Sadly those in power want to keep us here. Too focused on their own wants and desires than human kind as a whole.

So disappointed really, growing up in the 80's science shows, cartoons and sci-fi had me convinced we'd have flying cars and space holidays would be a common thing by now.

It's actually had a profound effect on me enjoying things I feel. A doctor once told me to set realistic goals.
Sadly my goals are to get off this planet and explore the universe. It's all I want to do these days. All I have ever wanted to do.
Seriously most regular every day human things don't bring me any joy anymore. I feel we're starting to stagnate as a species.
We've hit the peak. Only way to go forward is to go up.

But if we're up there, we cannot be controlled by those down here. That's sadly what I think is the real story here.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join