It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shouldn't Teachers know better? Denver is Expensive!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: JAGStorm

So wait... is everyone implying that we should just not have teachers here in Denver because it costs too much for them to live here?

I'm not understanding the take-away here. How is don't teach in Denver a solution to this problem of people just trying to make a living wage?

They aren't being underpaid, that is what we are saying. They make average salary for that area. Also anyone starting out in is going to struggle, that isn't unique to teachers. Secretaries, delivery men, etc are going to face the same economic challenges in that high priced area. Should they get to strike too? How about talk to teachers that have some tenure and see how their salaries fare compared to others in the area? That might be shocking.

The other big thing is "The big payoff for teachers comes at retirement."

Feb 2, 2019 - The average salary in Denver, Colorado is $60,553.

$49,854 to $65,930 with the average base salary of $57,109.

pagetwo.completecolorado.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Denver 1 spends about $12,000 annually per student. Can you honestly say those kids receive an education in line with that kind of money? Consider that would send many of them to some solid private schools in many places. So take that into your equation when you make that reply.

Now consider that into whether or not the teachers are worth what they're being paid.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Is she working during the summer or laying on her butt for 3 months complaining about how broke she is?

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
teachers have always been underpaid, overworked and under appreciated. Choices are made in this here life. If you choose to teach, you will live in poverty, that’s the deal. Don’t like it? Don’t work that trade. It has also been said, if you can’t do, teach. Which might be the other factor involved, they may not be able to work jobs like the rest of us. Things are tough all over, can’t stand the heat, get outta the kitchen.

edit on 10-2-2019 by Joefoster because: Comma

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
And, of course, it's also important to note that we're not saying we don't entirely care that she's facing tough circumstances, but we are saying that many of us have faced them too, and many others who work other jobs are in the same place that she is for similar reasons -- they make the same wage doing something else.

What we can't get over is how we're somehow supposed to feel more sorry for her than we do for all those other people just because she's a teacher.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

There's a problem that ends up affecting our kids, which is our rent and housing has skyrocketed in the past couple of years and it's a real struggle for the people you mentioned to survive.
www.westword.com...
The trend's been pretty awful and has hit hard. And groceries etc of course are on the rise.
We still need teachers and delivery men and secretaries, but yes as a parent I think teachers are particularly useful.
I know that plenty of people scoff at the work, but those same people were once educated by teachers themselves and most likely benefitted from that schooling. The world before literacy was pretty grim for many.

Perhaps eventually home ownership will be exclusive to the very wealty.. shame though that for such a long time in the U.S. a hard working middle class family could at least own a small portion. I would hope that isn't too much to expect, living in this great country (I love the US... my dad lived the American dream and worked himself out of poverty.. I just hope we can still be that place).

edit on 10-2-2019 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

My kids teachers? Maybe I've been lucky so far but I absolutely love my son's Kindergarden teacher (she is not on strike btw so not sure if she would be the one you are talking about) and my daughter has excelled.
(I live in Denver.)
Surely our tax funds could be better managed, though. That would certainly be something to look into. The teachers are not seeing the $12,000 per kid, nor is the classroom from what I can see.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I would refer you to my comment above.

A you ably point out. It's tough for a lot of people. Why is she more entitled than others because she's a teacher? Lot's of people teach their kids, and some of us work more at it than their own teachers do it seems. The only reason my kid currently has any idea what science is is because we fork over money for science camps in the summer and teach him ourselves on the side. The public school science curriculum is Magic Schoolbus and Wild Kratts videos at the moment.

Hus band and I are back to serious thoughts of private school again after only two years public. So why are teachers more deserving than any others? In my experience, they aren't necessarily any better at their job no matter important it might be.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I live in a large metro area in the Midwest and it's a pretty low cost of living here. However, it's even cheaper down south, and that's where I plan to retire to maximize my SS payments. I don't have a lot of money at all, no savings, but the taxes down there are so low and the home my mother lives in will someday, God willing, be mine to live in when she passes. That is, unless she has to go into a home, then the home will get all the assets she has (that's how the middle class is being decimated, you can't sell your home within 5 years of going into a care home, your home becomes theirs!)
If you have ailing parents please do what you can now to ensure your family assets stay in the family and transfer the ownership of said assets before these "care homes" that hire CNA's who could care less about your loved ones don't get to take it out from under you!

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
No simpathy.
It's people like her that drove me out of Denver.

Colorado has more California natives living here than Colorado natives. That should tell you a few things. These people don't just bring their life. They bring their twisted toxic costal ideology with them.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I don't know... you guys must have had some cruel nuns or drunk degenerates as teachers or something.

I really am tremendously grateful for my public education, and have nothing but respect for (nearly) all of the poor souls tasked with schooling me and my classmates. Maybe a poor one slipped through the cracks, but I had a good run with competent teachers. And so far my kids have also.

People from every profession benefit from receiving a basic education. And we as a country benefit from educating our populace, do we not?

Yeah I wouldn't call it entitlement, but I would want teachers (even those starting out) to earn enough to live comfortably (not check to check). I do think that it's a job that we should hold in high regard, as we should education in general.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   

So pay them more out of the pot taxes..

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: thegeneraldisarray

My family was wise. They set up a trust. What we have is not touchable.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

No. I had some good teachers, some really good teachers and some lousy ones.

But you know what? They took care of their finances, knew what they were getting and didn't go on strike because they felt like they should live like kings because they were teachers.

Teacher != Saint.

It's a job like any other. Heck, I put in a few years teaching myself, and I still don't see her point.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   

No one is expecting to teach and live like a king.

May I reiterate the rising cost of living here is really putting the clamp down on the residents. Which means that the salary that many people agreed to might not cover the rising expenses.
I don't think it's sustainable for a lot of working class people (teachers or not) to survive at this rate.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

No one is expecting to teach and live like a king.

May I reiterate the rising cost of living here is really putting the clamp down on the residents. Which means that the salary that many people agreed to might not cover the rising expenses.
I don't think it's sustainable for a lot of working class people (teachers or not) to survive at this rate.

You may reiterate it and have, but you know what? Raise the salaries of teachers and you further put the clamps on everyone else. Teachers get paid through taxes, and taxes take money from everyone else. So everyone else who is struggling then has to struggle an extra bit more so this teacher won't have to, but hey, she'll have hers. Screw everyone else, right?

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Again, everyone benefits from an educated populace. Additionally, many of us have already benefitted from our own public education. I would be willing to invest in our future if that's what it took but if existing funds were better managed teachers could be paid what they deserve.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Again, everyone benefits from an educated populace. Additionally, many of us have already benefitted from our own public education. I would be willing to invest in our future if that's what it took but if existing funds were better managed teachers could be paid what they deserve.

They're on strike for a pay raise. They don't care where it comes from.

I might be more sympathetic if they were on strike against their own school board for gross mismanagement of funds.

I asked you before - Denver 1 has roughly $12,000/student allocated per year. Do you feel the children are getting the benefit of that type of money being spent on them? Or is it being sucked away somewhere?

And are you really trying to tell me this woman is upset because of funds mismanagement or simply upset because her personal life is tougher than she thought it would be because "Denver be expensive, yo!"

And if everyone benefits from an educated populace, why are there so many Starbucks baristas with $100,000 degrees?
edit on 10-2-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Unfortunately, I have had to vote down the tax raise to support the teachers. I even thought about a second career as a teacher as I too have had teachers in my family. I was warned by all that it is very political and it is very hard to do what is needed to be done as they all must follow the "guidance" handed down by the administrators.

Why have I voted down a tax increases? I want the good teachers to get the pay raise they most certainly deserve. I want the money that would go to the unions as well as the administration castrating our good teachers to not have their pockets filled. The pot taxes collected have been earmarked for run down schools and safety improvement. As it stands now, each teacher is paid on how long they have been with the state, not their abilities, unless you count a MA. Those holding a MA get a higher cut of the pie.

The transplants that have moved here have driven the price of housing up where anyone with what was considered a "livable wage" to be priced out of even a small one bedroom or studio apartment. I know of social workers and other low wage earners in the same boat that do just as important jobs as teachers do. They can't strike to bring attention to their needs.

I know as a young teacher this young woman needed to do her research before accepting a position that doesn't cover "her basic" living requirements. Most move here for the "lifestyle" yet the lifestyle has now become a very expensive want.

I feel for the young teachers just starting out, but on the other hand, they should of known what they were getting into when they moved here. It is a double edged sword when we want the best but only willing to pay bottom dollar.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   

You are the only person actually making sense in this thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join