It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Officials: Bin Laden Urges Zarqawi to Hit U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Multiple US officials are stating the intercepted communications between Abu Musab Al Zarqawi and Osama bin Laden are directing Zarqawi to change his focus. Instead of focusing on attacking US and Iraq forces in Iraq, bin Laden would have him attempt to strike within the US Homeland. This new information comes at a time when US and Iraqi sources believe they are closing in on Zarqawi.

www.foxnews.com
WASHINGTON — Recent communications between Usama bin Laden and Abu Musab al-Zarqawi indicated that bin Laden has "encouraged Zarqawi and his group to focus on attacks inside the United State, multiple U.S. officials told FOX News on Monday.

The sources would not get into detail about how the communication was made or how it was intercepted by the United States and they pointed out that there is nothing specific in the message — such as maps, specific cities, or buildings — just a message encouraging a "focus" on attacks inside U.S. borders.

Zarqawi, the leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq and believed to be the inspiration of the ongoing bombings, beheadings and attacks on Iraqi and American forces, pledged his alliance to bin Laden last year and changed the name of his group in Iraq to reflect his tie to Al Qaeda. Iraqi officials said they expect to take Zarqawi soon; they recently nabbed a key associate and the driver of Jordanian-born terror leader

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If Al Zarqawi would be able to strike the US it would be a huge coup for a man who reportedly is on the run in Iraq. It is very interesting that the "latest intelligence" seems to point to Zarqawi being the man capable of striking the US Homeland.

Is bin Laden unable to direct any forces to attack the US? Has he been minimalized so that he now is asking Zarqawi to take point in his War against the West?

worldwatcher contributed to this story
[edit on 28-2-2005 by Banshee]

[edit on 2/28/2005 by phreak_of_nature]

[edit on 1-3-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I'm very suprised that nothing has occured in the U.S. since September 11. I was expecting a couple of attacks since then, though very happy that it did not.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
now that my hand is out of the bird, let me add to this thread, that it is my opinion that is pure propaganda. First off, Mr. Bin Laden is no where to be found, he's supposed to be in the mountains of Pakistan, where there has been avalanches, mudslides, and the coldest winter in years, still if he managed to survive all that, including his kidney problems and close call in Tora Bora, I don't see how Al-Zarqawi with his prosthetic leg, who manages to escape everytime, even though all his closest aides are being captured can actually pull off an attack in the U.S.

You would think Bin Laden would be encouraging Al-Zarqawi to continue what he is doing Iraq since he has been quite successful in keeping Iraqis living in fear, instead of aiming at the US mainland.

do a google search on Bin Laden and Al-Zarqawi and see how many times, these two surface only to dissappear, I personally believe both men are dead and they names are being used to continue this "jihad", whether it is Islamic extremists or someone closer to home, perpetrating this is unknown and undecided by me.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
one question:
IF they intercepted the communication between the two top "terrorists",
with all these NEW technology,
they could also pinpoint the LOCATION,
dont you think?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
one question:
dont you think?

I wonder if the intercepts were not electronic but hand carried. These networks depend on alot of hand delivering of mesages to thwart just what you are talking about.
If that is the case then it would be difficult to track.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
For grins... let's just pretend these two people existed, or still exist.

I can't help but think that the intended message from this item is that bin Laden is incapable of striking the west. Therefore he is annonting Zarqawi as the lead boogeyman in the War on the West.

This allows for the PTB to make Zarqawi the main focus, since bin Laden is either eliminated or minimalized to the point where he no longer is a threat. Now that Zarqawi is the main man, who's to say that the "latest intel" won't put him in Tehran, or Damascus, thereby giving the US a "reason" to go into either of those countries.

The Bush Doctrine says that if you support terrorists, or harbor terrorists, then your a terrorist. So if they can provide data that their #1 terrorist is in one of those countries, that justifies going after him.

Now that we're done pretending, do you think these two met up in a hospital waiting room in Kabul? Zarqawi to get his leg sewn back on, and Osama to get his dialaysis?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Recent communications between Usama bin Laden and Abu Musab al-Zarqawi indicate that bin Laden has "encouraged Zarqawi and his group to focus on attacks inside the United States," multiple U.S. officials told FOX News on Monday.

The sources would not get into detail about how the communication was made or how it was intercepted by the United States. They also said that there is nothing specific in the message, such as maps or references to particular cities or buildings. Rather, the communication simply encourages a "focus" on attacks inside U.S. borders, sources said.

Hmmm...like worldwatcher...why do I instantly get the feeling these "official sources" will prove as elusive as kidney-dialysis UBL,cane-hobbling Ayman Al Zawahiri,one-eyed cylops Mullah Omar,or prosthetic-leg limping Zarqawi? I believe it takes someone just as 'challenged' to buy into this latest domestic psy-op as it does to evade capture from the mightiest most-advanced forces in the world.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
Now that we're done pretending, do you think these two met up in a hospital waiting room in Kabul? Zarqawi to get his leg sewn back on, and Osama to get his dialaysis?

I have always wondered how one could recieve dialysis in a cave. It would certainly not be done under sterile conditions, if Bin Laden's still alive he won't be for long I'd imagine. Maybe that's why he's trying to pass the torch to Zarqawi. Does anybody know the life expectancy for end stage renal disease? But I guess there's always the possibility Bin Laden could have had a transplant. Zarqawi, if real of course, is IMO more "terrorizing" than Bin Laden because we have (supposedly) watched him behead a man with a fishing knife. We've only watched Bin Laden shoot like one AK round at nothing, and then oversee a bunch of terrorists on monkey bars, not too scary.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Here's a little more from MSNBC that seems to contridict the Fox News article. Apparently they are saying that the instructions did not specifically say "attacks within the US, but rather attacks outside of Iraq.

www.msnbc.com
The officials refused to reveal exactly how the message from bin Laden to al-Zarqawi was intercepted.

A U.S. official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said the message was “quite vague” and did not instruct al-Zarqawi to carry out attacks inside the United States. Instead, it discussed the need to begin planning operations “outside Iraq,” the official said.

The Homeland Security bulletin did not mention the specifics of the intercepted message, but restated al-Qaida’s interest in attacking targets inside the United States, the officials said.

So do FNC and MSNBC have different anonymous sources? Or is one news source downplaying the report, while another is hyping it up.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
now that my hand is out of the bird, let me add to this thread, that it is my opinion that is pure propaganda.

whether it is Islamic extremists or someone closer to home, perpetrating this is unknown and undecided by me.

I agree. The FOX article is mighty slim on facts and dances around too - kind of stirring the bottom of the pond, hoping to rake any kind of muck. Looks and smells like perch IMO.

dh

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The problem is that they know this is transparent nonsense
That a few people who bother with the 'news' will accept what they say, that a huge portion of the ineffectual populace are more interested in the reality TV or the workaday issues, that the ideologically possessed will forever try to force the official lies throgh the accepting twists of their own rectum, whilst those who see through the transparencyjust tip tip tap about it over their computer keyboards
People concede the issues over the Internet but it's taking a long time breaking it to the Street

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
one question:
dont you think?
You'd think, huh?
Its amazing how they can tell us terrorists came thru this country by way of Mexico, on stolen passports and are headed to NYC BUT they cant trail them either.
Its a joke.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Hi all new member here, my first reply...so be gentle!!

But seriously...Whilst we all breath a little easier since there has been no major attacks on US soil since 9/11, and OBL seems to be "somewhat "challenged; I think we need to guard against our own complacency, maybe it's the calm before the storm; maybe the bad guys have reached new heights of deviousness (if that's a word); maybe barbi has a hand grenade...who the heck knows?

Honestly I would love to KNOW that the most wanted man of our time is out of action, but the cynic (realist) in me says that we are not THAT lucky and won't be for a long time.

Finally, just wanted people's input on the possibilty that OBL & Al Qaeda et al have insiders, in the military and goverment...just a thought

Stay groovy folks

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kathartic_Oni
Hi all new member here, my first reply...so be gentle!!

But seriously...Whilst we all breath a little easier since there has been no major attacks on US soil since 9/11, and OBL seems to be "somewhat "challenged; I think we need to guard against our own complacency, maybe it's the calm before the storm; maybe the bad guys have reached new heights of deviousness (if that's a word); maybe barbi has a hand grenade...who the heck knows?

Honestly I would love to KNOW that the most wanted man of our time is out of action, but the cynic (realist) in me says that we are not THAT lucky and won't be for a long time.

Finally, just wanted people's input on the possibilty that OBL & Al Qaeda et al have insiders, in the military and goverment...just a thought

Stay groovy folks

Hey Thanks for joining in and welcome.

Could Al Qaeda have double agents in the military? I think it is possible. I also think that the have members in the Iraqi military and police. I'm not trying to implicate anyone, but do you remember the Jordanian Marine that went AWOL and wound up in Lebanon?

I think it is possible that we have some people in our military and government that are there just bidding their time, and supplying information and money to those who would do us harm.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
U.S. intelligence officials declined to provide details on the nature of the communication or how it was obtained - whether it was an intercepted call, a message being delivered by courier, or an e-mail found among the files on computers used by insurgents recently captured in Iraq.
union.leader

top topics

join