It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A bit of British Aviation History - re-discovered pics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
My brother found a ton of his old pics from the 70's to -90's mainly from various air shows around England. He's a big aviation buff and I think some of the pictures are really quite good so thought I'd share them. Its a bit sad to note now in 2019 just how many planes have been scrapped and how our once large & proud RAF has been decimated. These were taken at a time when the IRA were in full force and yet we could still go right up to the planes chat with the pilots and no security worries.
This 1st picture my brother had a word with the pilot who was having a pee behind the Harrier and asked if he could take a pic on take off..."Sure said the pilot just stand behind me you'll get a great shot"! Brother was picking grass out of his teeth for days lol (note to self - don't stand behind a Harrier when its taking off!)

Great view of a Hurricane Lancaster & Spitfire...still flying today!

An Argentinian "Huey" Helicopter captured during the Falklands War

The Royal Navy Sharks Display Team and their Gazelle Helicopter sadly the Sharks were disbanded in 1991...never seen a helicopter display team before!

The last flying Vulcan Bomber 1987 hard to grasp the size and awesomeness of the Vulcan the UK's nuclear bomber

The last ever Bristol Blenheim which sadly just minutes after my brother took the pic ...was in pieces all over the runway

Hope you enjoy this little bit of aviation history!

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

I love these, thanks for sharing!

The Royal Navy Sharks Display Team and their Gazelle Helicopter sadly the Sharks were disbanded in 1991...never seen a helicopter display team before!

You're still in luck, we still have The Black Cats and the Chinook Display Team

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Oooh I didn't know that. I'm a bad mother...my daughter is joining the Navy later this year and seems my knowledge is lacking! I'd never heard of such a thing before my brother sent me these pics. Cheers for that I'll pass the information to my daughter so she can impress at her interview! hehe

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

If only I'd taken more photos in the early 80s at RAF St. Athan.
Need to scan the ones of me stood under a Vulcan

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Aye I must confess I do like the Vulcan styling...looks so cool close up too. My brother and me & my children went to many airshows over the years and visited many bases, a lot of which are sadly now gone

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru

If only I'd taken more photos in the early 80s at RAF St. Athan.
Need to scan the ones of me stood under a Vulcan

Why was Spock standing on you?🤪

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

grin...bit obtuse there dear but funny all the same

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

There is another Blenheim flying now.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Oh? Any idea where its based?

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Not sure where its based but it first flew out of Duxford about 3-5 years ago I think. I had a feeling though that another may have been under restoration outside of the UK, probably NZ or Aus.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Ta chuck I'll have a word with me brother sure he'll sniff it out as he was quite upset when the other one crashed in front of us bless him

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The one your brother photographed is probably the one that crashed in 1987. The one that is now flying was actually flying in the 90's for about 10 years before it too had a mishap and was grounded pending rebuild. It has an interesting story as the nose/cockpit is not the same as when it was flying 25 years ago. Instead the rebuild trust obtained the nose section of a Mk1 Blenheim from a guy who had worked for either Avro or Bristol and bought it at the end of the war. It was from an aircraft that had flown throughout late 39 after delivery until it was damaged and written off in Dec 40. It was a veteran of the blitz/Battle of Britain so historically very important. He bought it and converted the cockpit section into a home built electric car which he grafted onto the chassis of an Austin A7. Fortunately he kept most of the cockpit instruments, mechanical systems, hydraulics and control column as original. It caught fire in the mid 50's and he stopped using it and put it into a shed until it was donated to the trust who completely rebuilt it. Apparently they kept the road tax sticker that had been applied on one of the cockpit windows as a reminder of what its other life had been!

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   
A Blenheim flew at the Royal International Air Tattoo not last year but the year before not sure but I think I may of took a picture or two I can't find them though.

PhyllidaDavenport I see your location is Yorkshire so it might be a bit of a trip, but RAF Fairfors in Gloucestershire have the royal international air Tattoo airshow every year it's always a good show to watch. Maybe worthy a visit one year

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Different pointy bits

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru

Different pointy bits

youtu.be...

I have been over here in France too long...

How I miss the little bitches that that saved us all : Hurricanes and Spitfires etc...

To all those that were downed... may I bow down my head in total respect.

The Spitfire

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Brave warriors and pilots, all, but I think you'll find it was mostly the P-51's and B-17's which saved everyone's bacon.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Brave warriors and pilots, all, but I think you'll find it was mostly the P-51's and B-17's which saved everyone's bacon.

Here we go, my dicks bigger than yours... In any case, the Mustang was'nt up to much untill the RAF shoehorned a Merlin engine into it, and fitted Spitfire gunsights, as for the Nordon bombsight, 5% of bombs got to withion 500 metres of what was aimed at, so I dont think B 17's were any better than Lancasters, that could at least carry a 12,000 pound bomb.
edit on 11-2-2019 by pikestaff because: added some more thoughts.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

No, really more just a historical observation.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Lancasters could also cary a MOAB, 22,000 pounds enough to cause an earthquake to topple rail viaducts.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Cool photos!

Sad about the Blenheim. It was the last known airworthy Blenheim. It was restored though, but not to flying status. Now the only remaining ones are in museums.

The Vulcan picture is inspirational, and the Harrier photo is a spectacular picture!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join