It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa administrator announces plans to ‘go to the moon and stay’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   
If we go back to the moon( yes I believe we have gone before) in the near future what a feather in the cap of Trump for getting NASA once again focused on really doing big things.. Geopolitically speaking it is probably a good idea considering China's grand plans for the moon in the near future.

I remember when there was a parade of people saying (paraphrasing) "Why we be spending money on rockets and the moon when we got hungry and poor right cheer" ! So we cancelled Apollo and started many social programs for the poor and hungry.. I will not be surprised if we start to hear the same script once again.

In a post detailing his agency’s lofty goals — to return astronauts to the moon, and one day send them to Mars for the first time in human history — Mr Bridenstine said that, this time, the US is playing for keeps.

“As a lifelong NASA supporter, I am thrilled to be talking once again about landing humans on the moon,” Mr Bridenstine wrote on Ozy. “But to some, saying we’re returning to the moon implies we’ll be doing the same as we did 50 years ago. I want to be clear — that is not our vision.”

He continued: “We are going to the moon with innovative new technologies and systems to explore more locations across the surface than we ever thought possible. This time, when we go to the moon, we will stay.”

www.independent.co.uk...
youtu.be...

The ambitious new mission will begin next week, according to Bridenstine, when the agency will meet with industry leaders at NASA headquarters to start discussing lunar landers. The team plans on carrying out their first commercial lunar surface landing by the end of 2020.

I for one hope they can pull this off !
www.rt.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Personally, I'd like to see a international effort of having people on the Moon as an actual colony, or at the least a scientific research base (like the ones in Antarctica) where they could rotate out personnel.

Be great if we did it. But if other countries get up there, hey, that's great too, just so long as we start human exploration again.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I say we let liberal politicians colonize the moon.

They live in their own world, so let's give them a barren one... all to themselves.

AOC can lead the fossil-fuel free expedition.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

They live in their own world, so let's give them a barren one... all to themselves.

I think that's what happened in "Seven Eves" before the book started.

Seriously though, I think the US should get a colony going on the Moon. If other countries want to join in that's great, but let's face it only the US could get a safe Moon Colony going. If everyone else could do it, don't you think they would have by now?

Sad factoid: There is only one man left that's stepped foot on land that is not attached to the Earth. We need this before Buzz is gone.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

originally posted by: madmac5150

I think that's what happened in "Seven Eves" before the book started.

Seriously though, I think the US should get a colony going on the Moon. If other countries want to join in that's great, but let's face it only the US could get a safe Moon Colony going. If everyone else could do it, don't you think they would have by now?

I'm not sure why you think that? Granted the US is the only one with experience of boots on the ground but the science and technology required is not a US only reserve. The main sticking point is cash - not sure anyone has much of that to spare right now, even China's seemingly limitless resource is pretty much made up money.

Sad factoid: There is only one man left that's stepped foot on land that is not attached to the Earth. We need this before Buzz is gone.

I take your point, but I think Dave Scott, Harrison Schmitt and Charles Duke might disagree with you! Tom Stafford, Frank Borman, Mike Conrad, Ken Mattingly, Fred Haise and James Lovell are also still around to tell the tale of looking down at close quarters.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
Personally, I'd like to see a international effort of having people on the Moon as an actual colony, or at the least a scientific research base (like the ones in Antarctica) where they could rotate out personnel.

I think there may be some collaboration between China, Russia, and Europe. ESA is definitely planning to get people to the Moon and start setting up a base, Russia has such plans also.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Nasa administrator announces plans to ‘go to the moon and stay’

Gonna be difficult for one person to eek out a living on the moon . Even a NASA administrator

edit on 2/10/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 04:49 AM
link   
As cool as it is as a sort of thing I want to see happen, OTOH, I really hate to see humans spread. Even if it isn't far (yet).

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Only people who believe we landed on the moon are allowed to reply, because it's not open for discussion here. If you don't believe we landed on the moon, you must go to the 'conspiracy' forums, where people who DO believe in the moon landings are allowed to reply, and tell you it happened.

Anything wrong with that?

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: turbonium1
Only people who believe we landed on the moon are allowed to reply, because it's not open for discussion here. If you don't believe we landed on the moon, you must go to the 'conspiracy' forums, where people who DO believe in the moon landings are allowed to reply, and tell you it happened.

Anything wrong with that?

And it says that where, exactly? Discussion is always welcome. Your standard approach, however, is not discussion, it's a soapbox of empty rhetoric and hyperbole that probably sounds awesome when you practice it in the mirror but actually proves nothing.

There is, however, a perfectly good discussion going on that is still waiting for you to provide the evidence that I asked for in support of your claim. You ran away from that some weeks ago, so if you want to try and turn something into a hoax thread maybe try finishing what you started.

(post by one4all removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: turbonium1

Maybe can enlighten us ……..

Explain how cant get past the "deadly Van Allen radiation Belts"

or

How the temperature of space is thousands of degrees and would fry everything

or

How spacesuits don't work in space because of the air conditioning

I need a good laugh these days ………...

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
If you watch the video of the WH correspondents’ dinner where Prez Obama made fun of Trump, one of the jokes Prez O made was about once the birth certificate controversy was settled, Trump could focus on conspiracy theories like “if we went to the moon...” Trump was stone faced for most of the joke set, but after a couple seconds after that joke, he kinda did a reaction that (to me) said, “yeah, maybe we didn’t go to the moon...”

Anybody else ever notice that? Lol.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo

I stand by my statement of setting up a colony, but I will admit that I was wrong about Scott, Schmitt, and Duke
. Still we only have 4 guys left, and those numbers aren't getting any bigger anytime soon it seem. They're all in their 80's.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Nasa administrator announces plans to ‘go to the moon and stay.

That way they can come up with a harmless and innocent explanation that takes care of the all anomalies up there and enabling them in turn, to all just be incorporated into their public activities on the moon.

Doing this takes away all the secrecy, conspiracy claims and turns it all into a nice new from-here-on open public funded project which would, in all likleyhood, be corporately owned.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Well they better get Musk or Bronson involved, because it seems to me from what we see, that NASA is about 15 years behind the technologies they continue to innovate.......

I suppose theyll want to use russian rockets for that too......freaking NASA

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

How the temperature of space is thousands of degrees and would fry everything

Then how do comets and other astral bodies that are made of so much ice survive..........

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Then how do comets and other astral bodies that are made of so much ice survive..........
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic and not agreeing with that premise promoted by the moon landing hoax crowd. I think the average person has no concept of how temperature versus heat transfer works in space compared to earth so that's part of the confusion, it's entirely different. I suppose firerescue is not average in that respect and probably understands it better than the average person, but this link explains it if you're interested.

I'll believe the going to the moon and staying when I see it, but last I heard NASA couldn't even get its astronauts to the ISS since it lacked transport after retiring the shuttles, they have to hitch a ride on someone else's hardware.

edit on 2019211 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
How many times since 1972 has NASA planned human-rated moon travel programs and how many times have those programs been defunded?? I've lost track. As it stands... Orion won't fly with any human life on board until 2023 or later.

Just like any other corporation that issues a press release one must take Bridenstine's comments with multiple grains of salt because he is making forward looking statements based on estimated timelines...

I won't be surprised when NASA inevitably pushes these time lines back even further... handing off the expensive boondoggle of Orion ($16 billion+) & SLS ($14 billion+) to later presidential administrations.

That's $30 billion (and counting!!) yet they are still years away from a manned test flight just to low earth orbit.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

As pointed out my attempt at sarcasm went past some people

Was bringing up the common memes trotted out by the "Stuck on Stupid" flat earthers, all of which have been debunked here

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join