It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia may shoot dead 52 polar bears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   

The village, home to about 560 people, has reported 52 bears have been spotted in two months with some of them attacking people, breaking into houses and other buildings, according to Aleksander Minaev, deputy head of the Novaya Zemlya region.

Russia may shoot dead 52 polar bears ‘invading’ village homes as sea ice melts

A state of emergency has been declared in Belushya Guba. The military has been on the streets since the end of last year to try and keep the bears away from town.

Of course it is being blamed on global warming melting the sea ice. They may have to shoot them because the bears no longer run off when people try to chase them away. I hope they come up with a better plan than killing the bears.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Seems like I watched a documentary about the Intuit? maybe dealing with polar bears.
I think they set up some kind of electric fencing at the outskirts of their village, because of a whale carcass.

Wouldn't that work?

Because, according to the commercials I see, Polar bears are an endangered species? So wouldn't this be illegal?

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Run Kung Fu Panda, Run!!!

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Seems like I watched a documentary about the Intuit? maybe dealing with polar bears.
I think they set up some kind of electric fencing at the outskirts of their village, because of a whale carcass.

Wouldn't that work?

Because, according to the commercials I see, Polar bears are an endangered species? So wouldn't this be illegal?

I found another link with more info. They are an endangered species in Russia and you are not allowed to shoot them.

Russian authorities have so far refused permission to shoot the bears but are sending a commission to investigate the situation and have not ruled out a cull.

The head of the local administration Zhigansha Musin said that the numbers of polar bears were unprecedented.

"I've been on Novaya Zemlya since 1983 and there's never been such a mass invasion of polar bears," he told regional officials.

I don't think this is due to global warming. There were abandon military buildings on Novaya Zemlya that were torn down. The bears had been living in them.

edit on 9-2-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Run Kung Fu Panda, Run!!!

Granted Polar bears aren't pandas, on accounta' being polar bears!

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

So it reads like they are trying to be logical, and it doesn't sound like anyone has actually been harmed by the bears, just chased, which I would imagine is terrifying.

So hopefully they will at least try some non lethal methods first.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

People have been attacked. They need to build them some basic shelter away from town and put up the electric fences.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Wait what?!? I thought shirtless Putin wrestled bears for fun, then rode them like horse!

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Wait what?!? I thought shirtless Putin wrestled bears for fun, then rode them like horse!

He does. But he is getting older.

I think that he could still handle six of them in hand to paw combat ... but 52.

Give it a break already.

You go and rumble with 52 Polar Bears.

P

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Same as coyote, only bigger.

Build a fence if you're a pussy, I guess. It won't hurt- it will even keep most bears out.

The end the bears that want to get in will get in anyway though, and that's an argument to not put up a fence, apparently.

Onto clear thinking... If there's a surge in bears there must be a good reason. Another poster implied artificial housing?

Back to the sarcastic, maybe we should treat the homeless more like bears... Give them free homes and they breed, while their children eat your children.

Jokes on anyone willing to put up with society, I guess?

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 12:49 AM
link   
My wife is from Churchill way up in Manitoba’s Artic(lots of polar bears) and you do not go out by yourself at night, and you alway have a rifle at reach. Everyone has(or had her time there was in the early 90’s) a gun in the truck or on the snow machine. The bears would wonder through town at times and try to eat dogs left outside. Walking home from a bar or friends house is a big no no.

They are smart and will hunt you and will kill and eat you. Not many bears get killed but they will get shot if they try to take your door out.

My father in law has a 11foot polar bear skin rug mounted on his wall. Bought it of an Inuit man back in the day.

a reply to: chiefsmom

edit on 10-2-2019 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

#bearswereherefirst

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Fences are immoral. The bears feel that they are being targeted because they are white and people don't want them to come into their towns because they might attack someone.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Worse than a grizzly, polar bears are not to be taken lightly by any stretch.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Humans suck.
I love how we take over their homes and then kill them off when there are too many.

The deer doesn't cross the road, the road crosses the forest.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
So the non rent payers have adapted to human housing and want more.

figures

new topics

top topics

join