It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloaking Devices:Soon to be Scientific reality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This comes from LiveScience Journal:
"The proposal involves using plasmons -- tiny electronic excitations on the surfaces of some metals -- to cancel out the visible light or other radiation coming from an object.
"A proper design … may induce a dramatic drop in the scattering cross-section, making the object nearly invisible to an observer," Nader and Alu write in a scientific paper that was made available to the public Feb. 14.
But cloaking ability would depend on an object's size, so that only with very small things -- items that are already microscopic or nearly so -- could the visible light be rendered null. A human could be made impossible to detect in longer-wavelength radiation such as microwaves, but not from visible light.
A spaceship might be made transparent to radio waves or some other long-wavelength detector."

www.livescience.com...

Though a long way off from being the famed weapon of the Star Trek world, even the smallest such device is amazing.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
cool, i once saw a cloaking thing on TechTV i believe, it was like a raincoat thing i think.

join