It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An honest question for proponents of the "New Green Deal".

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I'm not going to in this thread ask about the other portions of the "New Green Deal" but have some questions on the "elimination of fossil fuels and internal engines in 10 years" portion of the bill.

I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

How is that.... going to actually work?

So a portion of that would be to make all of our buildings in America a LOT more energy efficient, requiring the rebuilding or upgrading of approximately 136 million residential homes and 4.5 million commercial buildings.

SoOo....

If we retrained a large portion of our citizens to be carpenters, electricians, HVAC and plumbing people, purchased all the raw material on the planet? and could kick one of these out every two weeks from start to finish it would take us about 5.4 million years to complete. Or with 1 million crews we could do better, I guess... but the manufacture and transportation of materials alone would still screw up your two week timeline.

Still a bit longer than the 10 years needed...

Another question... if we not longer have jets (and I am assuming ships as well, because they emit more carbon than jets do), then how are we transporting anything from continent to continent anymore?

Do we really need to get in gear and perfect teleportation in the next 10 years as well?

Or will all commercial shipping now be battery-powered?

Upgrading the energy grid... we don't have enough rivers for generating more than about 10% of what energy we use. And we could no longer use them for transportation...

Can't go 90% solar/wind on this time-frame....

Tidal? Geothermal? Magic?

Storage is another issue of course... I would assume that we will have to really be getting on more efficient energy storage inventions.

Since even after the couple hundred years needed to upgrade the buildings, we would still use a ton more electricity with all our new electric cars.

So many questions I have on just this facet of the New Green Deal.

Anyone out there have any real answers?

edit on 7-2-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

More questions:

How do we guarantee jobs to everyone and still guarantee a good standard of living even to those unwilling to work?

I mean, I get unable to work, but simply unwilling? Who's going to want to work if you don't have to and you can still be guaranteed a decent life?

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Im going to say, no, there no honest answers to your insightful questions, just the assurance that anyone who supports its premise, knows absolutely ZERO about the subtlties and not so subtle realities of the infrastructure of our modern world and its population requirements.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

More questions:

How do we guarantee jobs to everyone and still guarantee a good standard of living even to those unwilling to work?

I mean, I get unable to work, but simply unwilling? Who's going to want to work if you don't have to and you can still be guaranteed a decent life?

Well, I wasn't going to go into that because my minor is in economics and that's just insanity.

So I wanted to just talk a little about the nuts and bolts of the "no more fossil fuels" thing.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

It would be impossible to eliminate all internal combustion engines in ten years.
Especially considering we don't have any viable alternatives at this time.

The whole bill is nothing but a green pipe dream that will waste money we don't have.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

OK< what would eliminating fossil fuels do to the rest of the economy that relies on petroluem products? Let's think of all the places where hydrocarbons are a big deal ... say like medicine. Can modern medicine function without plastics?

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

It would be impossible to eliminate all internal combustion engines in ten years.
Especially considering we don't have any viable alternatives at this time.

The whole bill is nothing but a green pipe dream that will waste money we don't have.

I'd like some of the people that are backing the plan to give me some answers.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

The plan is a sure fire way to destroy this country in well less than the 10 years it is supposed to fix it in. That actually may be the purpose of it to begin with. Much easier to fundamentally transform this country when it is in shambles and the people are desperate.

edit on pm22201919America/Chicago07p07pm by annoyedpharmacist because: removed comma

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

You know Occasional-Cortex ... we can just print money. It will be Zimbabwe. Everyone will be millionaires!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

OK< what would eliminating fossil fuels do to the rest of the economy that relies on petroluem products? Let's think of all the places where hydrocarbons are a big deal ... say like medicine. Can modern medicine function without plastics?

No.

It would also eliminate 85 million dollars a day in taxes to the government, we would lose 1.9 million good paying jobs and 8% of our GDP.

Not the question though... what are the viable alternatives... anyone know how this timeline is possible so we can save the planet for AOC (Another Odd Communist).

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I am thinking that will be answered by the Nigerian Prince whom AOC is in love with.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

I am thinking that will be answered by the Nigerian Prince whom AOC is in love with.

It's rather odd... I had thought this thread would be inundated by now with answers to some rather simple questions that I would like to know...

Perhaps I need to research it on my own...

Although the people that know much more than I do on the subject can chime in at any time.

edit on 7-2-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   

This entire bill is unrealistic. And will get shut down on every capacity.

The bill will likely spark more reasonable proposals for energy renewal and more. But as is , its a load of tripe.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: highvein

It's rather odd... I had thought this thread would be inundated by now with answers to some rather simple questions that I would like to know...

Perhaps I need to research it on my own...

Although the people that know much more than I do on the subject can chime in at any time.

You are not supposed to be asking these questions. Just accept that the liberal elites have decreed that it is possible. 97% of scientist agree and it is for the children.

link   

More questions:

Lunaticville awaits America.
Can't believe these people don't get a bit of advice before sprouting their ignorance on society.

link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

The plan is a sure fire way to destroy this country in well less than the 10 years it is supposed to fix it in. That actually may be the purpose of it to begin with. Much easier to fundamentally transform this country, when it is in shambles and the people are desperate.

You can't seriously think that the actual objective of this deal would be to destroy the economy so that they could offer an answer to the misery after?

That would be so transparent... no thinking adult would support that!

It would be like never letting a good crisis go to waste, or something to the effect.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

This entire bill is unrealistic. And will get shut down on every capacity.

The bill will likely spark more reasonable proposals for energy renewal and more. But as is , its a load of tripe.

Thank you for saying that.

My hyper-liberal family members are going... "whaaaa?"

If it sparks a better debate towards a better transition to renewables, I'm personally off-grid and all for it.

But this seems a little over the top, even for Progressives.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   

We can power everything with Facebook likes and retweets!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Get rid of the internal combustion engine. BS!!

The sound of a 389 with 3x2s and a Dimpsey Wilson is heavenly.

They will have to pry my GTO from my cold dead hands!!
edit on 7-2-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Better go enjoy my steak salad. If AOC gets her way, it will be gone in 10 years.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join