It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A nuanced look at "blackface"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

But, Black Face isn't "Cultural Appropriation"

I understand the desire of some people to just toss out words to garner reactions, but, this is not even close to being coherent

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Being the super awesome broheem that I am I got everyone in the thread a very early holiday gift, one of these exclusive and recently removed from sale Gucci sweaters. Merry Christmas ya filthy bigots:

And before you ask DB, I had Omar the Tent Maker sew one for you in XXXXXL.

edit on 7-2-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Being the super awesome broheem that I am I got everyone in the thread a very early holiday gift, one of these exclusive and recently removed from sale Gucci sweaters. Merry Christmas ya filthy bigots:

And before you ask DB, I had Omar the Tent Maker sew one for you in XXXXXL.

Thank you for the right size.

I've been on Jenny Craig!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Or as she's now known as, 'Pancake'.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Another black face official just revealed in the Virginia legislature.

mobile.twitter.com...

Since this guy is a republican, he has to go immediately!

Nah.
This guy didn't wear blackface...he put the yearbook together after students sent in photos to be posted on their pages.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: ADVISOR
Let's see how Dems respond to their own doing it;

Bring on the double standards and hypocrites.

Ummm

I dont think that is bill and hillary

Hillary never looked that good

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I accidently wore mine upside-down to hot yoga class and got arrested for indecent exposure.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Or as she's now known as, 'Pancake'.

Mmmmmmmmmm. . . . . pancakes. . . . . .

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Well all I have to say is why is it ok to usurp "white" culture by so many non-whites.

No english for you, numbers? Those are Arabic, no maths for you.

Either it is all or it is nothing.

If you are offended, I'm glad, there are no constitutional protections for feels so stop offendiing me!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 7-2-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I accidently wore mine upside-down to hot yoga class and got arrested for indecent exposure.

Were you going for the Gonzo look?

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   

*cough* sexist *cough*

ON Jenny Craig?
Does your spouse know?

(gee acting lefty is just too easy )

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Holding people accountable forever for the worst mistake of their life is getting old regardless of if you think this is a big deal or not. Mistakes are how we humans learn and I am an expert in that regard.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: WalterTilley
I see these "blackface" threads here lately and for some reason all I can see is Mickey Rooney doing the Asian guy. This and blackface were done in many movies back in the day.

In the new culture, should all of these old school actors and actresses now be demonized as well? Have them removed from the walk of fame and have their achievements removed from the history books as well?

At what point is this just over the top. I see this as a continuation of the "remove all the statues" debacle.

BINGO!

And I doubt we have seen the really crazy stuff just yet. The implosion is eminent.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Damn! In 1985 I dressed up as B.A. Barracas of the A-team. He was my favorite character in that show. So since I did it as a tribute, I'm now a racist? My opinion on that would get me banned from this site.

You might be surprised. I've said on multiple instances here on ATS that I find blackface to be hilarious and, if anyone wishes to say I'm a racist over this or any other topic, it isn't like I particularly care or will lose any sleep over it. The accusation is now utterly meritless, same as any other "Boy who cried wolf" accusation, of which we have many, many in this modern world. The racism criers played themselves and then they played themselves right out of the discussion and into a position of mediocrity and incredulity the likes of which haven't been seen in this country since the days of McCarthy... another infamous lying alarmist working an agenda.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I'm torn on this one.

Normally, I agree with you 100%, and honestly, I do. There is obviously context to stuff like this. However, you and I both know that this kind of context is only and ever discovered when politicians or public figures of a certain stripe are caught with their hands in the cookie jar as it were and it becomes politically expedient for the nation to "discover" context via the national press who then proceeds to "educate" us on why we are wrong to be a howling mob precisely like they were so many times before and will be again as soon as circumstances demand it.

So, no, in this instance, I do not favor context just because you cannot make headway in this fight until and unless you make the enemy live up to his own rules. And if there is zero tolerance, then there is zero tolerance, and when they're as tired of it as we are, maybe they'll finally admit it's time to go back to sanity, but they have to yield that point or it will remain a game of expedience for them because they'll know they can get away with it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join