It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomy Picture of the Day - 2-7-2019

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Thought you all would enjoy this beautiful picture of the area known as Monoceros, the Unicorn. It's an area of star formation. The star forming region is known as NGC 2464, about 2,700 light years distance from Earth. The image covers an area of the sky that is 3/4 of a degree or 1.5 full moons.

Link to source article

Image was produced by Stanislav Voldkiy using the Chilescope

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Thought you all would enjoy this beautiful picture of the area known as Monoceros, the Unicorn. It's an area of star formation. The star forming region is known as NGC 2464, about 2,700 light years distance from Earth. The image covers an area of the sky that is 3/4 of a degree or 1.5 full moons.

Link to source article

Image was produced by Stanislav Voldkiy using the Chilescope

Good one dude.

Nice nice one !!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Pretty picture, thanks for sharing.

In this system planets may coalesce, and sentient life may exist one day, and those beings may look at the stars and ask the inevitable question...who the hell puts pineapple on pizza?

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   

That is quite simply gorgeous beyond belief.

What a wonderful view.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   
all that color? yea it's fake.....

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   
lmao

still better than than news

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   

beautiful! what i'm asking my self seeing this: whats the purpose? billions of stars for what? just for fun?
there must be life out there.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Yah, I've always loved images of stellar nurseries. The emission and reflection nebulas being lit up by the new born stars gives us some of the most stunning views.

I especially love it when you can make out the details of the darker parts of the nebula, like in my image here of M42, Orion's nebula that I took last year:

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Yah, I've always loved images of stellar nurseries. The emission and reflection nebulas being lit up by the new born stars gives us some of the most stunning views.

I especially love it when you can make out the details of the darker parts of the nebula, like in my image here of M42, Orion's nebula that I took last year:

you took this by yourself? wow! respect!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: oloufo

Thanks!

There's a whole thread here in the Space Exploration forum, that's dedicated to astrophotographers such as myself, check it out when you get a chance:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are some jaw dropping beauties in there, taken by our very own members, and much better than what I've posted.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Where the heck have you been?

I was just thinking about ya the other day.
Haven’t seen ya around the boards in a while.
Hope the New Years treatin ya well.

As for on topic, that is a very beautiful place.
I wonder if I can visit it in Elite Dangerous.
Hopefully it’s not permit locked.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   

a reply to: oloufo

Thanks!

There's a whole thread here in the Space Exploration forum, that's dedicated to astrophotographers such as myself, check it out when you get a chance:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There are some jaw dropping beauties in there, taken by our very own members, and much better than what I've posted.

cool! thanks, i will take a look!(: greets from freezing cold munich!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   

What equipment are you using and how far from light pollution are you?

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

I live about 14 miles from the nearest city, which has a pop of about 50,000. So not as much light pollution.

I used a Canon T3i Rebel DSLR as my camera, with a old manual 500mm telephoto lens, mounted to a tracking German equatorial mount:

I took 12 images at ISO 800 f/11.0 of 2 minute exposures each. I then used Deep Space Stacker on my computer to stack the images on top of each other (making it a 24 minute exposure image), and then used GIMP 2.9 to do post processing on the image.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlbBlack

You mean pre-stacked?
They used to say Leica glass produced better color saturation for artistic compositions.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Thanks. I only get to see the deep sky when I am not near my suburban home. Technology has greatly improved since I last explored the sky.
I did C-Nav in the late 1960's and mid-Atlantic on a clear night had the best views of the sky for me. The best optics I had were stanchion mounted 30x binos for near horizon and 7x50 binos for overhead.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Yah, I was in the US Navy. Some of the most beautiful skies I saw were floating in the middle of the ocean with no moon out. The view was just incredible.

I started out doing astrophotography way back in the early 1990s with a Canon AE-1 35mm SLR camera, using film.

I remember a lot of very long nights, going through a LOT of 36 exposure rolls of film, having to wait days later for it to be developed.....only to see 1 or 2 frames that were decent, hehehehe.

Nowadays I can instantly see how things are going.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I know it is "normal' for our human brains to pick out faces in most images, as this is how we naturally determine " friend or foe".

I will also admit I am not very good at working with computer images. I must then, ask for other to do a little mental acrobatics.
Look at the "image" which is formed in the lower left corner of the upper right quarter of this picture. To my eye it appears to be a glowing white image of a face, but who is it?
edit on 7-2-2019 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Isn't that just amazing, and breathtaking!
Thank you for sharing.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlbBlack
all that color? yea it's fake.....

It's an LRGB H-a composite, so the colours are pretty much real. They just emphasised the red glow of ionised hydrogen more.

volskiy.smugmug.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join