It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to purchase Israel's Iron Dome System

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   
U.S. to Purchase Iron Dome Missile Defense System from Israel

I saw this and thought it was interesting. From what I've heard, Iron Dome is a pretty damn solid air defense system. I wonder how hard it was to convince the Pentagon brass to go along with this, given the tacit admission that US systems are inferior.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

So can we take this out of the billions we hand over to them every year?

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Ok, I am embarrassed. I always thought the iron dome was given to Israel from the US. I guess the US just supplies the ammo.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Well, the Palestinians have definitely market tested it for Israel, so at least we know it works...

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I thought we helped fund theirs?

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   

given the tacit admission that US systems are inferior.

Why spend the money in R & D twice?

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I think maybe this is why this move was made:

Source

A single Patriot missile costs somewhere in the area of $2-3 Million and, in some tactical situations using one would be in many ways like trying to kill hornets with a sledgehammer. The Iron Dome missiles on the other hand are said to cost ~$62 Thousand and are much smaller. The cost of the entire battery of missiles is also significantly less expensive. Therefore, the cost and agility of these smaller, less expensive Iron Dome missiles make it much more feasible to use on smaller incoming rockets like the ones currently being fired by Hamas.

edit on 6 2 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Senate passes pro-Israel bill, measure also rebukes Trump

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate passed a Mideast policy bill on Tuesday including a measure that would allow states to penalize businesses that take part in boycotts of Israel and an amendment that breaks with President Donald Trump by opposing any plans for an abrupt withdrawal of troops from Syria.

hmmmmmm.....

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   
why would we need this system, it might be cheaper but it doesn't really serve the same purpose as the patriot missile system does, we don't have small rockets being fired at our borders to defend against.

this feels like a bribe to appease israel, we don't need this system as far as i can tell.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere
Well if you read the article (I know, how dare I introduce such a concept), you would have noted that this is for use with deployed military units in battle zones. It's an added layer of protection that fills a role we do not yet have a domestic niche system for.

We will need these in Syria and Iraq for certain. Maybe even the Philippines...

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Iron dome is actually U.S. investments and systems (part of $10’s of billion) they’ve received since past decade and it is total failure.

Palestinian “lousy” rockets still coming to hit the izrael…!

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 11:16 PM
link   

The U.S. probably paid for it to begin with.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Why the Phillipines ? a reply to: worldstarcountry

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: AspiringSorcerer

So can we take this out of the billions we hand over to them every year?

originally posted by: vonclod

The U.S. probably paid for it to begin with.

Exactly.
edit on 7-2-2019 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
Senate passes pro-Israel bill, measure also rebukes Trump

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate passed a Mideast policy bill on Tuesday including a measure that would allow states to penalize businesses that take part in boycotts of Israel and an amendment that breaks with President Donald Trump by opposing any plans for an abrupt withdrawal of troops from Syria.

hmmmmmm.....

Ah politics at work... a pro Israel bill... but with the troops in Syria staying... Trump eitehr gets criticsed for vetoing a pro Israel bill (with the media pens at the ready) or he keeps the war going.

Don;t you just love how the politicians do everything BUT work for the people.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: namehere
Well if you read the article (I know, how dare I introduce such a concept), you would have noted that this is for use with deployed military units in battle zones. It's an added layer of protection that fills a role we do not yet have a domestic niche system for.

We will need these in Syria and Iraq for certain. Maybe even the Philippines...

Or, crazy idea.... We could leave said battlefields that have nothing to do with us.

If you look at your list, none of those countries have attacked us.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster
We're you unaware that we have been fighting the Chinese , excuse me ISIS, in the Philippines since early 2017??

ISIS always manages to show up where empires collide, so no surprise there are rumors of them finding their way into south America soon.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Trump's mega wall border will need protected from assault. Iron Dome to the rescue.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Iron Curtain anyone?

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
Ok, I am embarrassed. I always thought the iron dome was given to Israel from the US. I guess the US just supplies the ammo.

That is what I had read too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join