It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I used a charity foodbank today never been more ashamed in my life

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: UKTruth
a reply to: TinySickTears

You brought it up.

Like I said, we'd be better off relying on each other than govt.

It's no fun relying on the gov but people are not reliable either.

It's a problem

The thing is, though, when you have thousands of people around you in your community, you can be pretty sure you'll find someone to help...or enough of them are already helping by providing to local charities.

The govt? not so much. They'll be wasting money they force you to hand over.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: UKTruth

You brought it up.

Like I said, we'd be better off relying on each other than govt.

It's no fun relying on the gov but people are not reliable either.

It's a problem

I mentioned earlier my need of help and getting it. I understated that. In the city I was in at the time I could eat five hot meals a day with a bus pass, which I could also get for free. I could fill up a pantry and fridge just as easily. I was able to immediately find a way to trade work for a room. All of that was private charity and the help was immediate. No forms, no waiting weeks and weeks, no being judged by a soulless government worker who treats taxpayers money like it is their personal money. I learned a real lesson in just how generous people can be, in particular the Christian community.

I also mentioned I've been involved in a lot of fundraising since then. I understated that. I've done enough of it to even know the statistics about it from actual data.

Yes people can be trusted to step up to the plate when needed and they are very, very generous. The wealthy are extremely generous and the over 45 crowd give in a big way. Their kids are grown and gone, they have the money and they share. I will concede the below 45 crowd are far less generous for various reasons. Youthful apathy being at the top and the fact they are raising families.

I learned a lesson early on after sitting across a conference table surrounded by real money. Heads of family owned businesses worth millions or billions who routinely give a large percentage of their profits to charity and yes they really do that. One powerful family in the Pacific Northwest I met gives half of their profits to things like shelters and food banks and never make a peep about the lies told about them or the fact they are hated by activists who lie about them.

The biggest givers though are the mom and pop businesses who are the heart of their community and they give until it hurts through local Christian charities and local community programs. They never get credit for it and seldom seek recognition. They are the silent hero's.

The government be damned. The government promises and then goes out of it's way to find reasons not to help or withholds help until it's too late. I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed federal employees take joy in the suffering of others as they deny help with a slight grin on their faces knowing they are wrong and not caring.

Many people who are our neighbors silently give and give through their churches and by doing things like dropping off a truckload of food to help.

We Americans are in fact the most generous people on the Earth and the hated Christians are the most giving of all.

Sounds to me like you have drank the Kool Aid. Don't believe me, start looking around your own community with open eyes.

edit on 2/7/2019 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I'm sorry reality didn't bend itself to fit your narrative. Such is life.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
again thanks for all the replies, update, the job i am starting is a small factory prepares vegetables peeled and chopped or sliced for restaurants, spoke to someone who worked there and it is a mix of operating big rumbler machines as he called them which do the main peeling and smoothing, to standing at a conveyor belt taking bruises out of potatoes with a knife. Only £7.50 an hour but i'll take home £250 for 37 hours, and my mortgage and council tax is only £110 a week so I'll have a good £100 a week to spare after water, gas, eletricity. Not a fortune but after being out of work it will feel like a fortune.
my first pay i will buy a parcel of food at least as much i had and give it to the charity.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SerenTheUniverse

I've spent years homeless without taking handouts. I've spent hundreds of hours volunteering at shelters. I have a decent job, but expensive bills, and my fiance had recently gone unemployed. When I learned we were going through breadlines, I was ashamed too. But, don't be ashamed. Just do your best to get back up. In no time, you'll be there to help others in the same position.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

thank you, i am all excited starting work again i know it is a crummy low paid factory job but it is also seeing people every day chatting just being humans. i don't mind being poor, just as long as i am paying my own way while i am poor.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   

That's community, my friend. Something I see dwindling but hope won't be lost in this day and age. I'm about to buy a house. Something I thought was never possible. There is always hope. Stay kind and stay vigilant. I'm happy to hear you found a job. Push through. You'll get there with the right will, I promise.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

thank you! well done buying a house, i remember buying my first it was so exciting, much harder for young people now, I was 23 with a 3 bedroom house, but wages have not risen as fast as house prices, it has gone crazy, 3 times my salary back then bought a house but the same job these days (3x wage) will not buy a no bedroom studio bedsit apartment. It is definitely harder for folk these days.

posted on Feb, 8 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Think about giving smaller amounts on a regular basis. It is harder to give if you are depriving yourself. True charity comes from the heart and those that have walked along the humble path are usually the ones that understand the importance of those with a giving spirit.

Being the oldest of 10 children, growing up in a much different time, I honestly believe that I was born to serve. I know some people think that being a servant to others is something to look down on, but it gives me great pleasure to share and to serve.

Serving those that need a little help is not just about feeding the body. Seeing the smiling faces and hearing the laughter of the children is what brings me back time after time. Hearing those with needs, telling you that you have helped turn their life around, not because of the giving of food and items, but because you made them feel human again. That you reminded them that people do care, and that you stopped them from giving up.

I donate weekly, the items that people enjoy with their meals that fall outside of the budget. Many people donate those items they get free when they "buy one, get one free". Most of those that donate, do so regularly, and they donate things that that they themselves want and enjoy.

Give what you can when you can. Giving should come from a place of love and caring. It is not an obligation and it should not cause problems for you. You may also find the joy of giving.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

i will do once i am back on my feet

this food parcel is amazing, my breakfast today was a tin of Mackerel fillets in tomato sauce with spaghetti and half a can of peas. I did the maths and got about 700 calories and 32 grams of protein from that meal. cream of mushroom powdered soup with a can of tuna over spaghetti for my evening meal later, living like a king! couple of fried slices of that spam type meat for a midday snack with half a can of beans and half a can of potatoes I have needing to be eaten in the fridge. honestly that food parcel has helped me out more than i can ever describe, new work monday, first pay 22nd feb, life is good!

edit update, i was pottering around the kitchen and decided to use what was open first in the fridge, half a can of chicken in a white sauce, half a can of baked beans, and half a can of boiled potatoes, mixed them in a cooking pot with boiling water, added a can of chopped tomatoes, sounds crazy but it works, tastes amazing and got a couple of meals out of it

edit on 9-2-2019 by SerenTheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
No shame in this. I donate a couple of items every week to help those who have fallen on hard times through no fault of their own.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: sunnyade

thank you, i will definitely donate when i get paid again

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
well first full week done at the factory, it is pretty good, lots of downtime though so hanging around, bit boring, i prefer to be busy. first pay week today next friday, this evening's meal from the food parcel is spaghetti, peas and tuna in powdered mushroom soup, like a thick stew, just put the spaghetti on the boil. that foodbank saved my arse, i had totally run out of money, and found a guy who lives close to give me a lift to work, we agreed £20 a week for fuel, life is on the up

edit on 15-2-2019 by SerenTheUniverse because: added next friday

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

You keep me strong in my service to community.

I am a struggling senior citizen, like so many others I know. I am blessed to have found a community that truly cares for each other, and is truly accepting of the fact that we all are broken in some way, so they don't expect anyone to come with perfection and without baggage.

I think it is downright funny that, me, a hardcore anti-religion person, is working so hard and faithfully, with a church based group.

This group is greatly diverse, is extremely generous, and amazingly accepting. A group of people that have so little but have found that by sharing they can stretch their little a long ways.

There is a couple of people that have a bit more than what you may call average, but the time, the work, and the amounts they share, makes the villainization of all wealthy people wrong on a multitude of levels.

These few don't just wash their conscience with donations. They get up close and personal. They get their hands dirty. They work elbow to elbow with the needy regularly, and will always be there when others may not.

I am pleased to be grouped as a handful that is known as "The Old Faithfuls". They know we will be there come rain, storm, or shine. We do it for those that have a need. We stay for those that truly appreciate what we do.

Thank you for keeping us strong and keeping us happily serving.

posted on Feb, 15 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

lovely story

the help from fellow humans is amazing, all volunteers, humbled me big time, forgot to say, the charity even has a basket with female sanitary products at their door so poor women don't have to ask, beautiful people x

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join